1/24 Airfix Harrier GR.3

Back in the Saddle

I started this one a few years ago, after picking it up from a Debenham's sale for about £30. Here's the obligatory box top shot:

box.jpg

Progress stalled for some reason - I think I was getting fed up with all the filling and sanding! Here's the current state of play:

harrier.jpg

It's a big beast - I think it's a Series 18 kit... I'm not sure if Airfix produced anything bigger than this one?

Despite the size, the build standard is not as high as it could be (my techniques have improved quite a bit in the past two years!)

I will try to improve the model over the next three months wherever possible, to get it looking more respectable.👍

• Like 15

Have you got a roller for applying the paint ?

Looks an amazing kit, would love one but Mrs Jockney would have a fit, and I can't exactly hide it can I !

Look forward to following this one 

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Matt,

That is looking great. I'll certainly follow this.

Could we start using "draining board" as a unit of length, like Blue Peter used to use "double-decker bus" as a unit of height?  

It the wheels are down, and there's a chap sitting in it shouldn't the jet nozzles be pointing down?

Alan

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ooo, I currently building the same kit, albeit 'long term' and have the Flightpath Detail set, Heritage Intakes, gun pods and am scratch building the rear electronic bays and the undercarriage bays, so I keep popping in for any tips!

Only issue I've really had, is with the Windscreen and canopy, they are quite fragile and have had to order a replacement set from Airfix.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/11/2020 at 20:13, Dansk said:

Can you put a pot of tamiya paint or something next to it for more scale comparison? 

Just for you Paul!

tins.jpg

I make it 17 tins long, without the nose/tail cones! Talking of which, I have now glued these together - The existing nose needs to be removed before the new cone is attached. The tail cone will just glue straight into position:

tips.jpg

On 08/11/2020 at 22:43, JOCKNEY said:

Look forward to following this one 

On 17/11/2020 at 11:02, Angus Tura said:

That is looking great. I'll certainly follow this.

Thanks Pat/Alan. Apologies for the delay in posting anything - other builds are getting my attention at the moment!

On 17/11/2020 at 17:34, Tony C said:

Ooo, I currently building the same kit, albeit 'long term' and have the Flightpath Detail set, Heritage Intakes, gun pods and am scratch building the rear electronic bays and the undercarriage bays, so I keep popping in for any tips!

Hi Tony. I'm not sure if you'll get many tips - it's strictly OOB with no AM goodies. The majority was built a few years ago, so it needs improving now my skill level has improved. For example, here is an exhaust nozzle:

ex.jpg

Definitely needs some filling and sanding to enhance the appearance!

Here's the engine:

front.jpg

It's all a bit basic inside, so it will be sealed when the build is finished.

The main task with this model is filling and sanding in multiple areas - it's 90% built already. Hopefully some more progress to report soon.👍

• Like 7

20 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

It looks like a lot of the hard work is done.

I hope so! The list of bits to still attach is tiny, as I'm not using the armament - partly as it needs too much work (excessive flash, sink marks and short shot) and partly as I want to see the aircraft, not the weapons. It should help me get it finished on time too!

The main work is attending to numerous seam lines and improving their appearance. That could take a while...

I also need to finish the nose - here's how it currently looks:

nose1.jpg

In no particular order I need to remove the nose and attach the alternative parts, fix the coaming, tidy up the slodge on the pilot's legs(!), sort the seam lines, paint the ejection seat handle stripes and glue the canopy into place... I'm sure I'll spot some other tasks too as I progress!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Progress is slowly being made! The nose now looks like this:

pino.jpg

The canopy is next, but the front section appears to be a bit splayed:

can.jpg

I'm sure some tape will hold it in place!

Having had a good look at the model since this GB began, I have decided not to expend too much energy in trying to improve it - there are too many areas that could have been better. Instead, I will finish it to an acceptable standard and it can join the other models on my son's ceiling - he's already given me the thumbs up for that!

Having made that decision, I think this build will progress a little more quickly now...

• Like 2

That sounds like you won't be filling all those over countersunk rivets? A tube of PPP and a wet finger. Simples.

You'll need a superstrong drawing pin to hang it from the ceiling!

If you're not using the rocket pods, etc, will you be taking offers on them?

Thanks for the waning about the nozzles, canopy and windscreen @Back in the Saddle; I was gifted one of these by the then-owner of our last, now closed, local model shop; they’d suffered a water leak and the box was banjaxed but, surprisingly, all of the contents including the transfer sheet had survived unscathed.  There was no way he could sell the kit and Airfix/Hornby/their wholesaler wouldn’t take it back.  

I wish I’d spotted this thread sooner, I could have saved you a job: the Mk. 9 seat in the Harrier doesn’t have a face blind handle, only a seat pan handle🥴.

I’ve only got a partly-assembled engine so far and I can’t decide whether to do a GR. 1: 1a or early 3 without the LRMTS nose, or to go for the box art scheme but I’ll now follow your progress with interest.

8 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

If you're not using the rocket pods, etc, will you be taking offers on them?

Pete, if you would like all the ordnance from the kit, you’re welcome to it. 👍 Drop me a PM with your address and I’ll send it all over.

7 minutes ago, stever219 said:

I wish I’d spotted this thread sooner, I could have saved you a job: the Mk. 9 seat in the Harrier doesn’t have a face blind handle, only a seat pan handle🥴.

That explains why it hits the canopy! I’ll take it out...😉 You told me just in time - gluing the canopy is my job for tomorrow!

• Like 1

Looking good but a word of warning, both the front screen and canopy in my kit are/were rather fragile, so I would caution using too much force, as both pieces of mine cracked and I had to order replacements from Airfix!

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/12/2020 at 01:16, Tony C said:

Looking good but a word of warning, both the front screen and canopy in my kit are/were rather fragile, so I would caution using too much force, as both pieces of mine cracked and I had to order replacements from Airfix!

Thanks for the tip! I managed to get the windscreen fitted, using a clamp to hold it in place:

clamp.jpg

I have also removed the offending ejection seat handle!

Wing tips are now fitted too, showing how badly some parts fit together:

tip.jpg

More filling needed - I can see exactly why I lost interest in this one!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This kit is definitely a bit of a dog! Some of the problems were self-inflicted, such as attaching the forward windscreen. Whilst the glue was setting the whole section somehow slid forwards (maybe the pressure from the clamp pushed it?) - the canopy is in the correct position and look at the gap! Consequently this model will now have to be displayed on the ground, with the canopy open...

gap.jpg

The next issue was the fitting of the wings. In a word, they didn't! They were approximately 2mm too wide to fit into the gap, so my not very elegant solution was to break them apart and treat them as two separate units:

snap.jpg

I will glue them separately, beef up the split in the middle then hide the mess!

• Like 2

It is fighting you, isn't it?

What glue are you using? It may be that Tamiya extra thin, applied around the windscreen bottom, will soften the glue enough to remove it again.

I've used this method to dismantle old models. It doesn't always work but even ancient tube glue can give in.

On 03/01/2021 at 18:36, Pete in Lincs said:

What glue are you using? It may be that Tamiya extra thin, applied around the windscreen bottom, will soften the glue enough to remove it again.

I've used this method to dismantle old models. It doesn't always work but even ancient tube glue can give in.

Thanks Pete, I'll give that a try - there's nothing to lose!

The wings were easily attached once I'd split them into two sections:

beef.jpg

The piece of sprue was added to prevent wobbling. Possibly irrelevant after adding more pieces of plastic:

cover.jpg

Once the final cowl is glued in (currently resting over the wing joint) nothing will shift!

• Like 2

This model has now been relegated to becoming a toy for my son - it's never going to look good enough to be displayed on a shelf!

I am now having fit issues with the final engine cover and this was the final straw after the earlier problems...

I think I will use the model as a test mule for airbrushing practice, so will post some pictures whenever that gets completed - it could be a while, as I want warmer weather!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Change of plan again - it's not going to be an airbrushing mule anymore...

The main reason for this change is simple - I became completely daunted by the prospect of masking a model this size with complicated wraparound camouflage! Instead it will get a simple brush paint job, meaning it will be finished much sooner and with far less hassle.👍

A shot of the underside before painting began:

us.jpg

I started with the grey, using the painting guide provided:

paint.jpg

It's not 100% accurate, but it broadly follows the pattern!

I am using some old tins of paint, which needed clearing up. I might paint the grey again, but in a lighter shade - I'll see how it looks against the green once that gets applied.

• Like 3