+++ Finished +++ Eduard 1-72 MiG-21PFM

Jasonb13

Hi all...

Just getting my thread ready. The scheme on the box attracted me to this kit, that and the fact that Eduard Profipacks are normally nice kits. Anyhow, here are some pics...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

As can be seen, there's quite a lot of plastic, especially for a 1:72 kit. But a good bit of it won't be used, only the fuel tank on the weapons runner for example. I'm doing the scheme on the box, it should be quite eye-catching, though the white should make it 'interesting' too. Looking forward to the start!

• Like 13

Welcome to the GB Jason. According to all reports this kit is a great one so hopefully you're in for an enjoyable experience with it.

• Like 1

So I've made a start. Spent a little while making sure I had my colour choices right, different schemes in the box use different colours. Then I got started with the Interior Green. This is actually my first time building a MiG, apart from a resin MiG-31 Firefox a good few years ago, so it's also my first time using this particular colour! 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I then decided to do a quick comparison between the paint and the PE...

spacer.png

The PE is a bit darker alright, but with a wash etc. I don't think it'll be too noticeable, so I'm not going to lose sleep over it!

Next is up some dry-brushing and that wash, before sticking the PE bits on.

• Like 7

Nice to see you getting this one off to a start Jason. There is a slight difference in the two shades of cockpit colour but hopefully it'll all weather in nicely.

• Thanks 1

Just a quick pic to show that work is progressing. Am happy enough with the match of the PE and plastic now, some dry-brushing and then a wash on the plastic has darkened it a little, and a matt coat on the lot has tied it together. Hope to have more progress later today, we'll see!

spacer.png

• Like 10

Had a frustrating hour or so at the bench last night. Was trying to get the cockpit done, and I was tired and pushing it, but determined to finish. Which, of course, meant things weren't going right, I managed to lose one of the PE rudder straps (so neither of them are attached now) and a small actuator from the nose wheel bay (though that's not very noticeable and I can replace it with some plastic rod). I did finally get the cockpit done though, apart from the seat, which I haven't started yet. As usual, close up photos show too many issues, but in real life it looks decent enough...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Might do the seat next, or I might do the undercarriage and fuel tank, I'll see...

• Like 11

Hi all...

With the cockpit put to one side, I moved onto other areas. When building aircraft I try to get the small fiddly bits (undercarriage, doors, ordinance etc.) out of the way early in the build - that's assembly and paint/gloss/decals etc. That way you only have to stick them on at the end. Otherwise, when getting near the end of a built, it's too easy to rush through them. So I identified a few undercarriage parts and other parts that are to be painted the Russian Green, and got them ready for paint...

spacer.png

Then I dug out my Akan Green paint, but quickly found an issue!

spacer.png

The whole bottle is like that unfortunately. I last used it 3 years ago, and clearly something has gone wrong with it! So, back to the the drawing board, as I have no other paint of that colour.

Instead I got the fiddly parts that are going to be pained the light blue of the underside, and after priming them in black, I sprayed the light blue. Here's how they look...

spacer.png

Unfortunately the bright white light makes them look much more white than light blue, so you'll have to trust me on that!

Next up will be gloss/decals/gloss/wash/matt on the above pieces. I also need to get my hands on some Russian Green paint somewhere, not too easy in a lockdown!

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Jasonb13 said:

Thanks! I know I can find some online, I just need to make it economical by getting a few to help make the shipping worthwhile!

I like the sound of this plan :D 

• Thanks 1

@Jasonb13 Not a bad idea to make all the small & fiddly parts ready early in the build. I tend to look almost-finished builds and get frustrated as it takes so long to do all the small stuff and actually finish the build. Now, having them already done would be great! Why didn't I think of that :)

Cockpit looks awesome BTW!

• Thanks 1

@reini Yep, while it can make the start of the build a little slow (the fiddly bits still have to be done sometime!) it really is a good way of doing it, so you're not doing those bits at the end of the build when you want to rush it and just get it finished!

Well, I didn't get near the bench this weekend, the only painting that got done was the room itself, which was much needed. The room is in the middle of a revamp, some new carpet is ordered, as is a new big IKEA book case, 6ft x 6ft, which should tidy up the room a bit!

But from a modelling point of view, I've put in an order for the paint I need. I can still do a few bits and pieces, the undercarriage can be done (minus the wheels), but I can't close up the fuselage halves without the paint I need either, so I'll just have to hope for a quick delivery!

• Like 1

So, while I wait for the paint to arrive I've been really struggling with a lack of mojo too. Which means while there are little jobs I can get done, I'm just not in the mood for it!

However, I did manage to squeeze in an hour at the bench today and decided to do the decals on the pylons and fuel tank. And I hit a weird and unexpected (for Eduard) issue. The pic below shows the stencil instructions for one of the lower pylons. There are three different red 'parts', in the top left corner of the pylon, the big red section in the middle, and another small section to the right of that. All three red parts are presented as one long decal, with carrier film basically covering the whole pylon and holding the three together.

spacer.png

So, when I added the decal to the pylon, I soon spotted an issue, as you can see in the pic below (it's the lower pylon, the upper pylon is fine)...

spacer.png

The top left decal is in place, but the big red decal is too far forward, and too big (it actually goes around and covers the bottom edge of the pylon too, where the missile would attach). And the third small red part of the decal is so far forward that it's a few mm past the front of the pylon.

So basically it looks like those particular decals are too overscale, which is weird as the ones for the upper pylon (which is also one decal to cover the whole pylon) fits fine.

Anyhow, no big deal really if I'd spotted it in advance, but as I said I was squeezing in a bit of time and trying to rush it a bit, so the decals were on the plastic before I realised the issue. And the decals are thin. I mean really thin. I know we're always giving out about thick carrier film, but this is almost taking it too far the other way, so you have to be very careful with the decals. Which means I'd no hope of removing the decal and saving it.

At the time I just got frustrated and left it, but this evening I came back to it and got the decals off, and have resprayed both the upper and lower pylons. I did both 'cos there are a few options for stencils so I have spares, and I also realised I'd put the decals on the wrong side of the pylons, they only face out and these decals should be on the other pylon. Like I said, I was rushing it too much!

So I'll let the respray dry and try the decals again tomorrow. Still searching for that mojo!

• Like 4

Well, after a respray and re-gloss, I got more decals down, this time just taking random ones from other ordinance that I won't be using. It's in Russian and about 1mm tall, I'll be impressed if anyone knows they're wrong (apart from you good people of course!). Here's how it looks now, much better!

spacer.png

• Like 3

Ok, I got a little more done on this, and more importantly, I've pretty much got the room I model in repainted, recarpeted, and reorganised, so I should hopefully be in a place to get back to working on this. And my new paint arrived too, so that delay is gone as well!

Anyhow, continuing my plan of doing the fiddly bits first, the doors and stores are all done, painted/decalled/varnished etc.

spacer.png

Next up is the undercarriage and wheels, and while doing the wheels I'll also spray the green on the inside parts of the exhaust that need it as well. Hopefully have an update soon...

• Like 5

Got another bit done. Basically all the green sprayed, the tyres sprayed, and gloss black on some parts that are going to have Metallic Dark Iron sprayed on them (first time trying that).

spacer.png

resized_ef3fe097-3da7-4f81-9ec5-9b94022d

Still haven't got to the undercarriage, but I'm getting there!

• Like 6