Italeri Humwee M998, experimental model for a beginner

Hello

After trying to built a few models few years ago, I got and two old Italeri models and decided to give it a try. It is basically a test model to see how different things work (primer, base color, wash, mud, dust, oil splashes etc.). The roof is left open, since I want to experiment more with the interior. Since I am an beginner, the model is far away from good, but I already learn to point out the things I could do better next time:

1. I don't have air brush so I paint everything with brush. In this case I would have to do more layers of painting in order to avoid having strokes and uneven painting.

2. I made a mistake putting matt coat before decals, so they silver as hell.

3. Oil pin wash I did is fine, but I had to hide some parts where it didn't turn out very well (weird circles of different colors). I guess I need even less paint and quality oil paints.

4. The KFOR markings I put are funny, since I had to make it by hand. Any ideas how to paint custom decals by hand?

Anyway, I would like to have your opinion on things I can do better.

https://imgur.com/a/wT4a9lZ

• Like 4

If you did your pin washing on a matt coat then that could explain your problem. Try it on a gloss coat as the paint mix will stick closer to the detail rather than spreading. And it is easier to clean off any mistakes and blur/blend the paint.

Anyway, for a begginner that looks a very good start to your modelling adventures.👍

• Like 1

Try not to achieve the look of models you see done by people who have been modelling for years.lam in my 60s started in mid 1960s ,i still brush paint all my work and always get compliments on how good they are.Take each model as a learning curve, and read good books on the subject and listen to people's advice on any problems  you have ,you will soon get the bug ,and will have many happy years of modelling. The model you have done is fine so keep at it and most of all enjoy it.

• Like 1