Clear varnish help please.

Bbdave

I am starting to lose enthusiasm with building simply because I'm struggling to to get a good finish with my clear coats. What would you good folks recommend I use Vallejo MA, I have just got some Humbrol clear gloss to try but I hear the matt is a nightmare.

So all I want to do is gloss clear coat for decals and a good matt to finish.

I have tried to find this klear floor stuff but not managed to find any.

Dave

20 minutes ago, Bbdave said:

I have tried to find this klear floor stuff but not managed to find any.

apparently Lakeland Quickshine is the same,  but it's just a self levelling Acrylic vanish.   I think there are dedicated model varnish that give the same result.

What type of varnish is also related to what type of paint you use, as you can get reactions between enamels, acrylic laquer, (Tamiya, some Gunze) acrylic latex (Vallejo, Humbrol, Revell Aqua, Xtracrylix) type paints.

The more detail you can give, the better answer you might get here.

I have found Windsor and Newton galleria varnish brushed gives a good, but not dead matt finish. 

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

apparently Lakeland Quickshine is the same,  but it's just a self levelling Acrylic vanish.   I think there are dedicated model varnish that give the same result.

What type of varnish is also related to what type of paint you use, as you can get reactions between enamels, acrylic laquer, (Tamiya, some Gunze) acrylic latex (Vallejo, Humbrol, Revell Aqua, Xtracrylix) type paints.

The more detail you can give, the better answer you might get here.

I have found Windsor and Newton galleria varnish brushed gives a good, but not dead matt finish. 

I have tried acrylic varnish but I think it reacted with the vallejo it remained tacky for some time.

I have tried the humbrol clear this afternoon and barring a few airbrush tweaks it seems OK. Next then to find a matt I have read the galeria can wash off quite easily .

Dave

I find the best clear is lacquer type such as Mr Color, but I don't think they are good over Vallejo paints. Have you tried Gunze Aqueous? I use this over Vallejo and Tamiya acrylics and always get a decent finish. The new 'premium' type is very good..