Arma Hobby 1/72 Yak-1b

Here's my sixth completion of 2020, the Arma Hobby Yak-1b from the Expert boxing:

DSCN1703a.jpg

DSCN1704a.jpg

DSCN1706a.jpg

DSCN1709a.jpg

DSCN1711a.jpg

DSCN1713a.jpg

Representing No.2 of 148 IAP, flown by Ltn. Mikhail Shkomplektov, an unfortunate pilot who mistakenly landed at the Luftwaffe airfield at Anapa on 11 May 1943. You've got to feel for him, I've no idea of his eventual fate but it could well have proved fatal one way or another.

I built it out of the box with the exception of the addition of a set of QuickBoost resin exhausts designed for the kit - I didn't intend this but I lost one of the kit exhausts so it was lucky for me that there was an alternative; I wouldn't have bothered otherwise as the kit exhausts are fine and you can't really see the difference in the end. I used Infini white lycra thread for the r/t aerial wires.

Colours used were Colourcoats ACS21 - A14 Steel Grey for the interior and wheelbays etc., ACS17 - 4BO Army Green (which I unintentionally used in place of ACS08 - AMT-4 Olive-Green which I think would have probably been more appropriate), and ACS04 - AMT-6 Black for the disruptive pattern uppersurface camouflage and ACS02 - AMT7 Blue for the undersides.

Decals were for one of the six options as provided with the Expert set, they are printed by Techmod and worked very well, but as a word to the wise, don't use very hot water with them as they have a tendency to crumple if they feel the temperature excessive; warm water is fine.

The kit is lovely and through some unfortunate events of my own I don't feel I really did it justice, I may have picked out the wrong green for the camouflage and somehow lost my varnish-fu at the final hurdle which resulted in small flakes of varnish coming off and necessitated some repainting, but we are where we are... :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 28

28 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

ACS17 - 4BO Army Green (which I unintentionally used in place of ACS08 - AMT-4 Olive-Green which I think would have probably been more appropriate)

You are right, 4BO green is for armour.  AMT-4 is the aircraft paint, but they are similar, but AFAIK, AMT-4 is darker

this site

http://ava.org.ru/iap/148.htm

has these of your subject.

yak1b_smirnov.jpg

yak1b_smirnov_1943.jpg

note when newish, the AMT paints have a satin sheen.   

neat work, :goodjob:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lovely work,  Stew - looks fantastic -

don't worry about the painting hiccup - we all make including myself!

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...