Nobbly Bobbly! The Mi-24v “HIND” 1/48 by Zvezda WIP.

I've been away for a few days... but wow Johnny!  Those rivets turned out fantastic looking!  Thank goodness you got that sorted out!

That C-130 is stunning! I had a friend in middle school who made Testors' 1/72 C-130 and I thought it was enormous!  You're going to have to build a garage for that one!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/01/2021 at 01:32, opus999 said:

I've been away for a few days... but wow Johnny!  Those rivets turned out fantastic looking!  Thank goodness you got that sorted out!

That C-130 is stunning! I had a friend in middle school who made Testors' 1/72 C-130 and I thought it was enormous!  You're going to have to build a garage for that one!!

Thanks! Yes I’ll have to find a new spot when the time comes. 

On 08/01/2021 at 09:07, AdrianMF said:

The rivets seem like a right PITA but the final look is well worth it!

Like you say, if a kit has them, we take them off, and if it doesn’t, we add them. Madness.

Regards,

Adrian

Oh my god they are!!! But they do add something so as you said. “It’s worth it” but hells bells it’s a struggle. 🤪

nearly there though.

• Like 1

Good evening Britmodellers. 😀

Progress has been made and some method work too. It’s a slow process but I thought I’d share what I have so you know that things are moving in the right direction. ❤️
The film got eventually removed from the tail and some new parts on the main frame. But let me tell you the path was not an easy one. Ohhh no.

50822172497_db71a4564d_b.jpg

Not able to find an easy method I thought I’d try mr colour thinners as @IPMS19 said the film vanished.  I found that it did indeed vanish. A little better than the IPA if I’m honest. Yes!! Maybe this is the way!! Maybe I can do this . Giggling and smiling to myself!!! Yes this is it. This will be far easier tha..... then can you guess what else just started to vanish. Well melt??? 🤔🤔 Thats right dear friends. The ruddy primer. 🙀🙀🙀 I should have known as I had removed the primer off the stabiliser earlier with Mr colour. Not just melt but clump. Easy to wipe off for sure but knee deep in decal rivets the last thing you want is sludgy paint leaking everywhere. 🤦‍♂️
a few tense hours of cotton bud action, a dab here a dab there. And eventually we were almost finished but there was one more surprise in store. Maybe I thought if there was no primer Mr colour would be ok??? As I thought this, at that very second a whole line of rivets I was dabbing floated off into a clump in the middle of a panel. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️💆‍♂️💆‍♂️ Breath......🤪🤣 I needed a walk.

50822075591_c454ce1398_b.jpg

So with a clear head I’m  Back to the “There is no easy way to do this” I started adding the rest of the  rivet patterns.

50822075496_bc3343a4b4_b.jpg

I say patterns as some (like that bunch at the front up there) are pre positioned and come as a pre built lump but some you have to build patterns using a simple line of rivets. Making going even slower and more tricky. 

50821327128_730d5c9a02_b.jpg

most if not all of the cockpit area is done this way as are the tops of the engine covers. 
working my way up the underside of the tail.

50821327108_8e26b90cc0_b.jpg

And onto the belly.

50822075486_46d05d2768_b.jpg

I’m going to get them placed then try and IPA the film in one go.

not many left to go.

50822075431_03103ebb86_b.jpg

Some go on the clear parts but I’m not sure what IPA does to clear parts. So I don’t want it to leak thought my masking or get it on the canopy at all. 🤔🤔🤔 I might find another method on those parts or try IPA on a mule.

Any way I’d not want you to think I’d been lazy. 🤤😮 Just plugged directly into fiddly city.  

Hope you’re all having a splendid weekend. More in the week. Hopefully this time next week we will be with paint? 🙏

Happy modelling dear friends.

Johnny

• Like 21
  • Sad 1

Impressive rivets placing, Johnny :worthy:  :clap: 

IPA should be fine on the clear parts - or at least thinned IPA, which is what I use. But I agree you should try on a spare part first, just in case :) 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic looking jobs there Johnny.

If it were me, I'd be tempted to cut the line of rivets as close to the width of the canopy framing as I could, and be damned about removing the carrier film.  Once the primer is on, I'd doubt you'd be able to tell the difference

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

- Very nice riveting job. I note that large parts of riveted surfaces are once piece under film.

- I ve made a test with Mr color  thinner, as it works on removing  decal film, on different clear parts without any visible issue what ever  the plastic. If this can help.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/01/2021 at 22:42, The Spadgent said:

Maybe I thought if there was no primer Mr colour would be ok???

After removal of the carrier film with an IPA or even better the Mr.COLOR Levelling Thinner, you can use the Tamiya paints without the primer. I saw some surface preparation testing and the best acrylic paint adhesion (Mr.HOBBY or Tamiya with the original thinners) was after cleaning the plastic with an enamel thinner (such an X-20 (not an X-20A) or the Mr.COLOR mentioned before)... 🤔

Well, the progress looks amazing! 🙂 Excellent riveting, Johnny! I hope the sheet have enough rivets for the whole Hind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant work Jonny and so inspiring. Still can't seem to get the rivet decals in the UK yet and Arma are saying they are not allowed to ship to the UK under the present COVID restrictions, especially with the "new variant" so I'll just have to wait and bide my time.

Great work though!!👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, BeeKay said:

Arma are saying they are not allowed to ship to the UK under the present COVID restrictions,

I just tried to mail a letter from Abu Dhabi to the UK and was told at the post office "UK is closed"! Not sure why, when airlines are still flying the routes. All they have to do is put a few bags on!

Ian

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, BeeKay said:

Still can't seem to get the rivet decals in the UK yet and Arma are saying they are not allowed to ship to the UK under the present COVID restrictions, especially with the "new variant" so I'll just have to wait and bide my time.

It’s not true - it’s just a polite refusal. There’s no postal service restrictions on sending the letters, packets or even the parcels to the UK or other countries.

Spoiler

That’s how the teenagers work... 😬

• Like 2

Wow... sorry to hear about the rivet troubles... nice area to take a walk in though,  kinda reminds me of my in-laws' place in Wisconsin!  The rivets are looking great though... and you can hold your head up high because a lesser man probably would've broken! :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/12/2021 at 3:31 PM, Nikolay Polyakov said:

It’s not true - it’s just a polite refusal. There’s no postal service restrictions on sending the letters, packets or even the parcels to the UK or other countries.

Reveal hidden contents

That’s how the teenagers work... 😬

- Hi Nikolay

- A friend told me surprisingly a few days ago, that Armata don't send stuff outside Russia ,as I sent them a question about Zvezda Su 57  they didn't answer. I don't know what credit to give to these words.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, IPMS19 said:

- Hi Nikolay

Hello JM! 👋

4 hours ago, IPMS19 said:

- A friend told me surprisingly a few days ago, that Armata don't send stuff outside Russia ,as I sent them a question about Zvezda Su 57  they didn't answer. I don't know what credit to give to these words.

An info on their website says that they ship orders outside the Russia, too. I don’t know how the store works for an international (overseas) shipping, but I described what I saw directly in this store a few posts above.

P.S. Just checked Arma Models’ website and I can only see the Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan as the countries they’re ship an orders to.

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov
P.S. added
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 13/01/2021 at 01:04, opus999 said:

Wow... sorry to hear about the rivet troubles... nice area to take a walk in though,  kinda reminds me of my in-laws' place in Wisconsin!  The rivets are looking great though... and you can hold your head up high because a lesser man probably would've broken! :D 

Oh I nearly broke!!! 🤣 and thanks. 

On 12/01/2021 at 09:29, BeeKay said:

Brilliant work Jonny and so inspiring. Still can't seem to get the rivet decals in the UK yet and Arma are saying they are not allowed to ship to the UK under the present COVID restrictions, especially with the "new variant" so I'll just have to wait and bide my time.

Great work though!!👍

Thanks. I couldn’t seem to find any until Nikolay’s kind offer.

On 12/01/2021 at 05:35, Dadeo911 said:

Your hard work with the rivets looks amazing.  It will be great to see your two hinds side by side when you get them completed.

Have a great week,

Chris

Thanks. 

On 12/01/2021 at 04:27, Nikolay Polyakov said:

After removal of the carrier film with an IPA or even better the Mr.COLOR Levelling Thinner, you can use the Tamiya paints without the primer. I saw some surface preparation testing and the best acrylic paint adhesion (Mr.HOBBY or Tamiya with the original thinners) was after cleaning the plastic with an enamel thinner (such an X-20 (not an X-20A) or the Mr.COLOR mentioned before)... 🤔

Well, the progress looks amazing! 🙂 Excellent riveting, Johnny! I hope the sheet have enough rivets for the whole Hind.

Well I guess we will see how it turns out eh. All very exciting. There are just enough. 😇

On 11/01/2021 at 10:48, IPMS19 said:

- Very nice riveting job. I note that large parts of riveted surfaces are once piece under film.

- I ve made a test with Mr color  thinner, as it works on removing  decal film, on different clear parts without any visible issue what ever  the plastic. If this can help.......

Thanks for the test.

On 11/01/2021 at 03:08, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Johnny, awesome job with the colors and rivets—really impressive best, Erwin 

Thank you sir.

On 10/01/2021 at 22:09, hendie said:

Fantastic looking jobs there Johnny.

If it were me, I'd be tempted to cut the line of rivets as close to the width of the canopy framing as I could, and be damned about removing the carrier film.  Once the primer is on, I'd doubt you'd be able to tell the difference

Good call. The rivets are actually “on” the main frame of the clear part. In the middle. I think I’ll paint the internal colour then decal then ipa then prime. 

might work? 😮

On 10/01/2021 at 20:15, Spookytooth said:

Looking good sir.

We live and learn with this hobby.

Stay safe.

Simon.

Never a truer word.

On 10/01/2021 at 20:00, giemme said:

Impressive rivets placing, Johnny :worthy:  :clap: 

IPA should be fine on the clear parts - or at least thinned IPA, which is what I use. But I agree you should try on a spare part first, just in case :) 

Ciao

Thanks G

• Like 2

Hey guys. It’s been a slow week for modelling but I can confirm that the rivets are on. 
what was that Zero?

50838689597_fd64bfd5f8_b.jpg

No I didn’t remove the carrier film yet but that’s the easier bit right. Here’s a few pics to prove I’m not lazy. 🤣

50837879823_c5d3cb72d8_b.jpg 50838689602_611ae18118_b.jpg 50838689592_7e49f4f7ee_b.jpg

If I get that removed over the weekend I’m sure we will be smelling paint.

💆‍♂️💆‍♂️💆‍♂️

keep em crossed.

Johnny

• Like 16

26 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

No I didn’t remove the carrier film yet but that’s the easier bit right. Here’s a few pics to prove I’m not lazy. 🤣

The riveting looks so good, Johnny! 👍 I definitely want to try them... 🤤

• Thanks 1

Actually the riveting looks pretty good. I was afraid that it would look like something off the back end of the titanic ( I shan’t take out my riveting soapbox, but I’m sure you’ve seen me opine on them and my years as a PWA 16 specification expert :) ) I’m still eager to see some camo go on the thing.

I also see that there’s a proposal for a hind STGB next year, could be fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1