Nobbly Bobbly! The Mi-24v “HIND” 1/48 by Zvezda WIP.

Good news Jont, those rivets look great :) 

I use IPA on a cotton bud to wipe down my models before primer - I don't pre-wash as I know I'm going to be handling things, a lot.

Giorgio also uses it to flush his AB. Plenty of uses!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Confused I opened it to find not one but two beautiful and old kits. How could I have forgotten? 🤦‍♂️🤣

It’s like a surprise from yourself! 😹

I like this one a lot:

50796408367_f4fdb41227_4k.jpg

I’ve had the similar kit (AC-130U), but sold it. The artwork is lovely, I’d like to see the Herc in NMF... 😋

19 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

it worked.

It’s a great news, Johnny! 👍 Can’t wait to see them under the paint...

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

These things are a totally different beast to the HGW ones

I think there's a lot of misunderstanding about the intent of the HGW rivets Johnny - and I could be wrong but, my understanding is that they are not intended as a direct competitor for Archer type positive rivets, but as a much more subtle alternative. 

Once applied, they should be given a very light coat of paint, then once dry, a very light wipe or two with micromesh.  This will remove the paint over (some/most/all of) the rivets and leave the rivets showing through the paint - a not uncommon sight on real aircraft.  As  @Ex-FAAWAFU has clearly shown, they can be very effective in the hands of a skilled modeler, (or in the case of @Fritag, a skier. )

I'm not a great fan of the Archer armor plating rivets though I have used them on occasion.  I think the HGW rivets when used correctly are much more effective/realistic

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, IPMS19 said:

-WOW  the fans......!!!!! :o - Mines are still somewhere in the"hub"as PARCELFORCES says clogged in  Dover trucks locks and brexit fog. I Will test the rivets with paint and make my mind then.How goes the laying of the rivets , somewhat boring no?

I hope your parts turn up. If not they’re not that hard to pop together. 😀 I did more rivets tonight.

not to bad now I know how they will turn out. 🙂

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Good news Jont, those rivets look great :) 

I use IPA on a cotton bud to wipe down my models before primer - I don't pre-wash as I know I'm going to be handling things, a lot.

Giorgio also uses it to flush his AB. Plenty of uses!

Thanks I’m much happier now I know they will work.  Ooh airbrush cleaner. That’s a good idea . Thanks. 

3 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

It’s like a surprise from yourself! 😹

I like this one a lot:

50796408367_f4fdb41227_4k.jpg

I’ve had the similar kit (AC-130U), but sold it. The artwork is lovely, I’d like to see the Herc in NMF... 😋

It’s a great news, Johnny! 👍 Can’t wait to see them under the paint...

It’s great isn’t it. Yes I thought about BMF then saw I only got one sheet in the pack. 🤣🤣🤣 definitely the box art one needs to be built though. 😍

3 hours ago, hendie said:

I think there's a lot of misunderstanding about the intent of the HGW rivets Johnny - and I could be wrong but, my understanding is that they are not intended as a direct competitor for Archer type positive rivets, but as a much more subtle alternative. 

Once applied, they should be given a very light coat of paint, then once dry, a very light wipe or two with micromesh.  This will remove the paint over (some/most/all of) the rivets and leave the rivets showing through the paint - a not uncommon sight on real aircraft.  As  @Ex-FAAWAFU has clearly shown, they can be very effective in the hands of a skilled modeler, (or in the case of @Fritag, a skier. )

I'm not a great fan of the Archer armor plating rivets though I have used them on occasion.  I think the HGW rivets when used correctly are much more effective/realistic

Ahh I see. I didn’t know that. I wish I had of known as the Lanc would have benefited. I have quite a few left. I’ll give em a second chance. Thanks for the info. 😇

No real pics to show but more rivets have been added. The paint has been removed from the rear flap and the carrier film removed. Lucky. 😊

removing the film is still a faff and I haven’t found the exact way yet but gentle pushing with a flat blush and then wiping with a soaked bud send the best method so far. If you just paint on the IPA the carrier kind of melts in situ. You have to rub it away if you catch my drift. I’ll post up when I get more done. 

Johnny

• Like 6

Nobbly bobbly update. I think I may have found the way to do this now. Maybe.🤣

it’s a slow process but I figured I’d show how it’s going.

If you zoom in you can see the carrier film.

50804091703_824074ac15_b.jpg

Here’s after an IPA bath and lots and lots of very delicate wiping and dabbing.

50804841651_66c57c4abd_b.jpg

Now zoom on that one. No fun in sight. 🤩 I’m losing a few dots here and there but I think it adds to the worn look I’m going for. 🤣😇

Heres the other side. To be fair even if you zoom in the carrier film is a bit faint (trust me it’s there) but I’m going to get rid tomorrow.

50804954387_69820ab80b_b.jpg

I’m really happy the way it’s going. Slow but steady. 🤩👌 

The paint has been stripped from the flap that was erm.... painted and that also got sorted. Yay! 🥳 Work is busy even though you know (LD3) and the kids are home schooling but I try and get an hour or so after I’m done. I’m so hankering for paint. 

Until next time, thanks for popping in and all the stellar help.

Johnny nobbly.

Ps. Funny I was looking at that Sunderland and thinking about the rivets I might need to knock back. 🤦‍♂️🤣 we’re either trying to get rid of em or put em back. Rivets,shmivets. 🤪

• Like 13
  • Haha 4

Glad to know the riveting is working for you, Johnny :clap: It certainly adds a lot to the overall look (I think I still prefer removing them when not needed, though... :rofl:)

Ciao 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great rivetery Dear Spad !!

Wow, that 1/48 Herk is impressive...

I got one in hand twice in Telford, but finally did'nt bought it...

You gonna respark my interest in this kit !! I feel it coming....😱

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Patience of a saint you have

Totally agree!

Nice work with the rivets, looking forward to seeing them under paint now

Stay safe           Roger

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

-About rivets and paint. I'made a test of painting over rivets . After removing the film with Mr Color thinner I sprayed two coats of paint  after an overnight drying between them, followed by a masking during 24 hours. At removal the rivets were still standing proud and strong. I cannot show photo as my photo material is not enough performing for a so tiny affair.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I’m really happy the way it’s going. Slow but steady. 🤩👌

Yes, the tail looks amazing! Bravo, Sir! 👏 And I cannot say that you’re going slow.

16 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Funny I was looking at that Sunderland and thinking about the rivets I might need to knock back. 🤦‍♂️🤣 we’re either trying to get rid of em or put em back.

Same with the blondes, brunettes and their curly (or not) hair... 😹

• Thanks 1

On 04/01/2021 at 21:10, The Spadgent said:

Yes I thought about BMF then saw I only got one sheet in the pack. 🤣🤣🤣 definitely the box art one needs to be built though.

You mean the 1.48 Hercules..... 😯⁉️

Holy Toledo‼️😎

Have you worked out the acreage yet? 

Builder's tape maybe, but modelling BMF would be approx one arm and one leg, I reckon. 

You'd want a few trials on an F84 or a Mustang or something, see if you get on with it. 

Or the cowling on a Gipsy Moth. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 05/01/2021 at 22:02, AliGauld said:

Wow,

Nice work Sir.

Looks fantastic

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks.

On 05/01/2021 at 22:32, CedB said:

Seconded! :)

Patience of a saint you have.

Thanks. Luckily I have the second build. Keeps me sane. 😍

On 05/01/2021 at 22:47, Spookytooth said:

Thirded dear chap.

Simon.

Thank you. 🥸

On 05/01/2021 at 22:56, giemme said:

Glad to know the riveting is working for you, Johnny :clap: It certainly adds a lot to the overall look (I think I still prefer removing them when not needed, though... :rofl:)

Ciao 

I do actually like rivets. I should do more tanks. 🤩

18 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Great rivetery Dear Spad !!

Wow, that 1/48 Herk is impressive...

I got one in hand twice in Telford, but finally did'nt bought it...

You gonna respark my interest in this kit !! I feel it coming....😱

Sincerely.

CC

It’s hhuuggee but strangely magical.

16 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

It looks like a good result on the rivets. I have some Micro Mark rivets so I'll try some IPA on them next time.

John

Thanks. I have never tried the MM ones. I like the look af the archers ones too.

16 hours ago, Hamden said:

Totally agree!

Nice work with the rivets, looking forward to seeing them under paint now

Stay safe           Roger

Thanks. I have done a quick paint test. 😇

15 hours ago, KMS said:

..........why not.....

Rotary machine gun 4х12,7mm "USPU-24"

USPU-24.jpg

zbran__054.jpg

zbran__052.jpg

zbran__053.jpg

uspu-24.jpg

uspu-24_110.jpg

IMAG1241.jpg

Oooh thanks. 😃

15 hours ago, IPMS19 said:

-About rivets and paint. I'made a test of painting over rivets . After removing the film with Mr Color thinner I sprayed two coats of paint  after an overnight drying between them, followed by a masking during 24 hours. At removal the rivets were still standing proud and strong. I cannot show photo as my photo material is not enough performing for a so tiny affair.

Ahh excellent news. Have you found the best way to remove the film? I still find it tough to find the best method. 

9 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Yes, the tail looks amazing! Bravo, Sir! 👏 And I cannot say that you’re going slow.

Same with the blondes, brunettes and their curly (or not) hair... 😹

not super slow but I’m eager to get the paint on. 😃 and yes I know what you mean. 💃

6 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

You mean the 1.48 Hercules..... 😯⁉️

Holy Toledo‼️😎

Have you worked out the acreage yet? 

Builder's tape maybe, but modelling BMF would be approx one arm and one leg, I reckon. 

You'd want a few trials on an F84 or a Mustang or something, see if you get on with it. 

Or the cowling on a Gipsy Moth. 

Yes I know. I think I’ll try my hand at something smaller like you suggest. 💆‍♂️

• Like 4

Super late night update.

I thought I’d found a good technique but I still find it really tricky getting the film off. But eventually the tail is done and the extra PE added.

50807979328_6f05b6eb27_b.jpg

I wanted to wait for the IPA to vanish before I do a paint test so I did one on the rear flaps.

There are a few dings and a bit of fluff but I’ll get rid of that.

50808721446_d83dc3cccf_b.jpg

Much better now the film has gone. 😇

looks like we’re on to a winner. I just wish the carrier wasn’t such a bugger to remove. The main fuselage and winglets left to do now.  💆‍♂️💆‍♂️💆‍♂️

I fancied some sticking so I popped on the doors. Temporarily as a mask, the fit is phenomenal. 🤩

50808721431_5edc80c5a3_b.jpg 50807979333_8995f3d21b_b.jpg

And then tidied up. Put this to one side to dry and did a bit on the Hind A.

I’ll post that up tomorrow. I’m pooped.

Thanks for dropping by.

almost the weekend. 😊😊😴😴😴

Johnny

• Like 15

- To remove the film I used a cotton bud dipped in Mr Color thinner, they  vanished  quite easely;

- As there is no cue to help positionning the rivets stripes at the right spacing between them, I suppose you have to make a tough measuring and drawing preparatory job  before applying the decal ?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Ah, looks great! It’s a good news that you’re saved all the rivets on the stabiliser after removing the paint. 🥳

Indeed. Thanks 

5 hours ago, IPMS19 said:

- To remove the film I used a cotton bud dipped in Mr Color thinner, they  vanished  quite easely;

- As there is no cue to help positionning the rivets stripes at the right spacing between them, I suppose you have to make a tough measuring and drawing preparatory job  before applying the decal ?

Yes I’m doing similar but mine is hit and miss on vanishing. Leaving a sticky blobby residue. It’s a shame you’re not doing a WIP so I can see your progress. Never mind. Glad it’s working for you dear sir. 👏👌😇

• Like 2

- You why I don't make a WIP?.........I'M LAZY....😔

- My test was made on a short rivet "a" parts, I will discover the what's about when the real things will begin , trusting this test I will follow your soution

- I received the cabin fans this morning.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, IPMS19 said:

- You why I don't make a WIP?.........I'M LAZY....😔

- My test was made on a short rivet "a" parts, I will discover the what's about when the real things will begin , trusting this test I will follow your soution

- I received the cabin fans this morning.

I don’t think any modellers are lazy. 😇 ahh yes I did a test with a strip. Well at least I’ll clear a bit of a path eh. 💆‍♂️
glad your fans arrived. 👌

Johnny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1