Nobbly Bobbly! The Mi-24v “HIND” 1/48 by Zvezda WIP.

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I used to buy my IPA from the local pharmacy in the UK, but over here they don’t stock it

It’s sometimes sold as rubbing alcohol. I’ve asked for IPA in chemists and they mostly don’t have a clue. It is also fairly scarce and expensive as it’s used for hand sanitizer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, roks said:

Yes, it is. I`ve bought it at local Leroy Merlin supermarket as thinner for acrylic paint.

Great. Thanks for the helpful info. I thought as this thing is a thinner I could give Tamiya thinners a shot while I wait. Alas no Cigar. I The IPA turns up in a day or two. 🤩

17 hours ago, IPMS19 said:

- Isopropylen,!!!- not the easiest stuff to find......,? I suppose this have a common name...,? I know an holy man of my relatives who produce some cottage made grape 80°+holy-water, may be this could make the day. Those of you attending Telford S.M.W Overseas corner may see what I mean......BETTER NEW YEAR  and KEEP SAFE

Hmmm grape flavored holy water you say? 🤩 I had some of that last night. 😃🍷

17 hours ago, Marklo said:

Lovely work. It’s making me realise I’m a broad strokes, less detail  sort, so I’m dying to see which camo scheme you’ve picked and how untruths out :) 

I thought I was broad brush strokes too then I thought about it. I think I’m a bit of both. 😯 depending on what cloth I’m cutting.  As for the scheme I’m going for the one on the box front. 👌

17 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

I used to buy my IPA from the local pharmacy in the UK, but over here they don’t stock it. I got my last bottle on eBay and it’s running out but there is a Leroy Merlin in Limoges so I’ll try there when we break out of our self imposed isolation, post vaccination probably.

John

Thanks for the info. Good luck on getting more supplies and stay safe dear sir. If you get stuck Amazon is your friend.

- Hi BIGGLES87 - I will explore the one of Brive ASAP  too- 

Good luck sir.

16 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello John. Nice work  on the  awful, merciless and feared insect. For me always a look alike mantis. Nice work on rivets so far. Sisyhos work at all. Have a nice  coming over into the next year. and also a "guten Rutsch" from me here for the next one. Hopefully better.

Cheers Benedikt

Thanks Benedikt. Happy new year my good man. 🙌

16 hours ago, opus999 said:

Is this just to make the seat look dusty/dirty or another reason?

I have room for improvement here, every time I've tried to use a blade to cut masking on a canopy, I've just made a mess of things.  Nice job on yours!

I need to remember this technical term.  I've had my share of Rube Goldberg style jigs (jiggery pokery?).  That PE plate looks pretty nice, though!

I really hope that your rivets work with the paint  They look pretty awesome right now -- I'd hate to think all that hard work is for naught... 😕 

I use the weathering sets to pop out the details or add high lights. Dry brushing but in a safer way as pigments can pretty much be totally removed. As for the masking always, and I mean always use a brand new out of the paper blade on your swan Morton. Anything else just doesn’t work the way you want. 
🤞🤞🤞 for the IPA.

16 hours ago, opus999 said:

Arrg!  Bummer about that carrier film!  I hope you get this worked out, mate!

Me too.

16 hours ago, Fritag said:

I've used lines of HGW 0.2mm rivets and for those at least the carrier film needed to be removed.  I lifted the film off after letting the rivets dry overnight.  I had a bit of trouble with some of the rivets lifting off with the film and found that applying them to a surface primed with thinned Mr Surfacer 1000 worked best; and using lost of Micro Sol during the application.  Here's a link to one of the (too many) posts covering my faffing about...

HGW Rivets

@Ex-FAAWAFU covered an entire 1/48 Sea King with HGW rivets - he's the expert :D

Thanks. I used the HGW ones on my lancaster. They were totally different to these ones. I remember lifting the film off the next day. This stuff is just...well.. stuck down. I think these rivets are better than the HGW ones in the way you can see them after paint. Thank you for your help and Happy new year. 👍

12 hours ago, Marklo said:

It’s sometimes sold as rubbing alcohol. I’ve asked for IPA in chemists and they mostly don’t have a clue. It is also fairly scarce and expensive as it’s used for hand sanitizer.

Thanks. I tried to get the most pure variant. I hope that was right.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I hope you all had a splendid NYE. And here’s to a better 2021.

Johnny.

• Like 5

- Well after a short night and still with some vapour locks in my head, I just have a revelation, a sure sign the lucidity is coming back, I thinks I will paint the model first, gloss varnish and then rivets, so , as for usual decals the film shouldn't show, then matt varnish,for the color of the rivets, with Tamiya pastels or similar of  convinient color, the job can be done....What's about this idea ?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, IPMS19 said:

- Well after a short night and still with some vapour locks in my head, I just have a revelation, a sure sign the lucidity is coming back, I thinks I will paint the model first, gloss varnish and then rivets, so , as for usual decals the film shouldn't show, then matt varnish,for the color of the rivets, with Tamiya pastels or similar of  convinient color, the job can be done....What's about this idea ?

🤔🤔🤔 Im not sure. They do stand proud through the primer but as it’s your model you can do as you wish. I usually like to pick up my flory wash and various other things with the lumps and bumps.

Your way will work but the colours for me wouldn’t work. I’m putting all my eggs in the IPA basket. 🤞🤞🤞

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

🤔🤔🤔 Im not sure. They do stand proud through the primer but as it’s your model you can do as you wish. I usually like to pick up my flory wash and various other things with the lumps and bumps.

Your way will work but the colours for me wouldn’t work. I’m putting all my eggs in the IPA basket. 🤞🤞🤞

- .O.K Johnny I agree with you, owing to a probable unavailabality of IPA in my remote country, ( trees , valleys, too low to have snow, too remote to find IPA easily, just O.K for Holy Water), I will follow my idea, and if you agree,  we'll compare the result  at the end. The judges being our friends in modelling, I will be on R.F.I when finished. Just now, I'm working on turbines, for cockpits I'm waiting for cabin fans from Hannants,  riveting promise to be a long process but I'll be there at the end. O.K,?  🤝

• Like 2

Hi Johnny, and happy new year to you and all on here. 

Great read through and catch up. 

I've been isolating in the far reaches of BM, in the Heller Classic Group Build! 😎

Not self-isolating though.... There's loads of us. Coupla hundred builds going and a lot of love for the French classiques. 

My Caravelle started out a bit Nobbly Bobbly (1957,their first tooling) but I've tamed the worst of it 😅 and I don't need to add any more 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

Slight distraction, but if you're not listening to this definitely catch it on the iplayer! Sean with Brians Cox and Eno.

Sibelius Symphony No. 5 was an unexpected gem. Happy New Year!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000qndn

Dang I missed it. I player it’s is. Thanks. 

- .O.K Johnny I agree with you, owing to a probable unavailabality of IPA in my remote country, ( trees , valleys, too low to have snow, too remote to find IPA easily, just O.K for Holy Water), I will follow my idea, and if you agree,  we'll compare the result  at the end. The judges being our friends in modelling, I will be on R.F.I when finished. Just now, I'm working on turbines, for cockpits I'm waiting for cabin fans from Hannants,  riveting promise to be a long process but I'll be there at the end. O.K,?  🤝

Oh yes the fan. I need to make one of those. 🤗 sure thing you carry on sir. My harebrained schemes are trial and error most of the time. That’s why I like to share process and progress as all the help you get is invaluable and you’re helping others along the way. Let me know when you’re done. 🙌

14 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Hi Johnny, and happy new year to you and all on here. 

Great read through and catch up. 

I've been isolating in the far reaches of BM, in the Heller Classic Group Build! 😎

Not self-isolating though.... There's loads of us. Coupla hundred builds going and a lot of love for the French classiques. 

My Caravelle started out a bit Nobbly Bobbly (1957,their first tooling) but I've tamed the worst of it 😅 and I don't need to add any more 👍

Happy new year Rob. I wondered where you had got to. I’ll have to pop over and have a gander at what’s going on over there. 🙌

• Like 2

On 31/12/2020 at 15:45, The Spadgent said:

What a to do???? I’m not too keen on that but I think it looks better than flat.

It’s sad to see that you’re having some troubles with the carrier film... 😼 Looks like my gift box became a Pandora’s Box! 😬

Actually, if this problem will not be sorted with an IPA, you can cut the decal film alongside the rivets and it will looks good, too. Also I have an idea to use a sanding sponge (1000 grit or so).

I hope something will help, Johnny! 👍 Keep up the good work.

• Thanks 1

IF the IPA doesn't work, and I'm a bit reluctant to mention this, you could try this method using Tamiya X-20 ENAMEL thinners - the blue top stuff:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 02/01/2021 at 11:30, Nikolay Polyakov said:

It’s sad to see that you’re having some troubles with the carrier film... 😼 Looks like my gift box became a Pandora’s Box! 😬

Actually, if this problem will not be sorted with an IPA, you can cut the decal film alongside the rivets and it will looks good, too. Also I have an idea to use a sanding sponge (1000 grit or so).

I hope something will help, Johnny! 👍 Keep up the good work.

Not to worry Nikolay. Tis part of what makes this fun! Problem solving. I actually enjoy this part. 🤪

My fall back was going to be cutting close but looks like we will soon see. 🙌

On 02/01/2021 at 11:40, CedB said:

IF the IPA doesn't work, and I'm a bit reluctant to mention this, you could try this method using Tamiya X-20 ENAMEL thinners - the blue top stuff:

Hmmmm ok thanks Ced. I didn’t realise Tamiya had two thinners. 😇

23 hours ago, IPMS19 said:

- After a first test on a small part of "a" rivets It seems the Mr Color Leveling Thinner 400 could work......Make your own trial to be sure.

I did try lots of stuff. Didn’t try that funnily. So are you going the under paint route now? 

1 hour ago, rob Lyttle said:

Johnny Rivets, just waiting here for the big reveal while you faff around with these....... Drum, drum...... 😶

ha! Ok ok I’m coming. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks guys for all the help and feedback. I have been flitting between this and my other Hind today while I was waiting for the IPA to arrive. I’m really enjoying building these at different scales😀.  Talking of scales I have to mention how lucky I have been over the past few weeks. Not only did @Nikolay Polyakov gift me the “Hind A” I got some Christmas kits. Firstly I had this from Gemma. 

50796407852_632e9774e2_b.jpg

Hey look @corsaircorpA shark !!! 🦈🤣

Also from my brother in law I got this.

50796289381_125189925b_b.jpg

I do already have this beauty but after following @tonyot’s wonderful builds I can easily fit two in. 👬

The eagle eyed of you will have noticed the other kits in the background. Rick a friend of mine @isaneng asked me if I’d like some kits he no longer wanted or had time to build. Always happy to give a kit a good home I picked one and promptly Forgot all about it. I’m such a muppet.

50796407502_7ee12bdf51_b.jpg

Just before NYE the door bell rang and upon opening up I found a huge box on the doorstep. Confused I opened it to find not one but two beautiful and old kits. How could I have forgotten? 🤦‍♂️🤣

here is number one.

50796408367_a61446057b_b.jpg

And here is the other 

50796407917_623522ca9a_b.jpg

Wow!!!!! And wow again!!! 🤩🤩🤩

gobsmacked I got in touch with Rick

and saint Thank you “a lot”. 😇🤩

I do however need to remember about scale and actual size. I didn’t for one second think the C-130 was going to be soooo BIG.

Here are some comparisons with the flying piano.

50796288846_089cdd1ec8_b.jpg

🤪🤪🤪🤪🤩🤩🤪🤪😯😯😯

not far away either. That’s just the nose.

The span of one wing!!

50795540988_53c0cd3a02_b.jpg

😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

Im really looking forward to painting this one. I’ll need a roller. 😜

seriously though I’m so happy and lucky. I just wish to thank Rick and Nikolay once more for their kindness. ❤️
Right well after all that shall e we get to it?

Speaking with @IPMS19 about his build last night I’d once again forgotten to add the fan to the office. So this morning I punched some discs and popped them on some 0.6mm rod.

50796408242_c1914759b8_b.jpg

This got bent, mounted, painted and glued in place.

50795540933_3234bff32c_b.jpg

Not perfect but it’ll do. 😍

A quick dry fit to see if it all still works. I think the seat looks good.

50795540478_fa89f05968_b.jpg

Then glued on. 

50795540533_4d4cf1318e_b.jpg

The fit here is great. 

50796289041_327bcae04d_b.jpg

The fan looks quite good too. 😍

50796407807_81310ca13a_b.jpg

Deciding to wait for the IPA before I did more rivets I moved onto the Hind A. I’ll update that now. Just as I was finishing up to cook dinner I got a message.

50795540613_cecc0bea34_c.jpg

four stops!!! By the time I got down stairs this was on the doorstep.

50796407872_4fa4909e58_b.jpg

A lifetimes supply. 😯😯😯

I have tested it out but I need to go check. It’s looking positive. I’ll post up later on with how it went.

Thanks for stopping by. It’s always nice to see you all on a Sunday night.

Take care and as always. 
Happy Modelling.

Johnny

• Like 17

What an update, Jonster! Lovely new kits (including a huge one), a scratch built fan :worthy: and the canopy glued in and with a great fit. 

:clap: :clap:

Ciao 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

A lifetimes supply. 😯😯😯

Only if you don't use it part of a record cleaning solution.

That is one big Herc. Nice work on the Hind it's looking splendid.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow Spad, I thought you had used some naval equipment for a fan... 

Good luck with the rivets and IPA

and of course, happy new year to you and all here on Britmodeller. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, giemme said:

What an update, Jonster! Lovely new kits (including a huge one), a scratch built fan :worthy: and the canopy glued in and with a great fit. 

:clap: :clap:

Ciao 

Thanks Giorgio. BIG and small it tat post. 🤪

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Seconded! :) 

Thanks.

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

Only if you don't use it part of a record cleaning solution.

That is one big Herc. Nice work on the Hind it's looking splendid.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks. No I don’t use it to clean vinyl. Big ol’ kit innit. 

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

Very nice progress, loving the cockpit and fan

Stay safe        Roger

Thanks.

18 minutes ago, Johnny Tip said:

Wow Spad, I thought you had used some naval equipment for a fan... 

Good luck with the rivets and IPA

and of course, happy new year to you and all here on Britmodeller. 

Thanks. And to you dear sir.

• Like 2

Super quick update!!!

it worked.

50796418023_4f0e3ea7d0_b.jpg

It’s made the plastic go a bit weird but the carrier film eventually goes. I’ll go into more detail In my next post but thought you might like to know. 👏🙌😍😍

50796418018_80509ef6f5_b.jpg

wonderful. Thanks guys. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

• Like 15

Fan-dabby-dozy as that 'orrible little krankie would say. 

Sorry I've been a bit remiss from adding my commentary on this build recently Johnny but I have been following your antics avidly - just haven't had a lot of time recently.

One question though before you go splashing IPA all over the shop... which side of the carrier film are the rivets on?  Are they above or beneath the carrier film?

*** and now you can completely ignore my response as you posted while I was typing this!

As an FYI with HGW rivets you peel the carrier film off after 6 or 7 hours drying - that may be worth trying?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hendie said:

Fan-dabby-dozy as that 'orrible little krankie would say. 

Sorry I've been a bit remiss from adding my commentary on this build recently Johnny but I have been following your antics avidly - just haven't had a lot of time recently.

One question though before you go splashing IPA all over the shop... which side of the carrier film are the rivets on?  Are they above or beneath the carrier film?

*** and now you can completely ignore my response as you posted while I was typing this!

As an FYI with HGW rivets you peel the carrier film off after 6 or 7 hours drying - that may be worth trying?

Hey. I think they are on top as you can feel their bumps on the sheet. These things are a totally different beast to the HGW ones. They were quite easy to use as the carrier film as you said just lifted off. Lifting some rivets off too which is a pain. They ( when I used them anyway ) didn’t really show any bumps which was a real shame as I spent ages on the Lanc adding them. These ones however seem to really stand out. Hopefully the tarnish on the plastic is just cosmetic. Thanks for your help though, it’s very much appreciated. 🙌

• Like 2

-WOW  the fans......!!!!! :o - Mines are still somewhere in the"hub"as PARCELFORCES says clogged in  Dover trucks locks and brexit fog. I Will test the rivets with paint and make my mind then.How goes the laying of the rivets , somewhat boring no?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1