Nobbly Bobbly! The Mi-24v “HIND” 1/48 by Zvezda WIP.

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Snippity snip and we’re done. That’s the closest I have been to someone not in my family for Months. 😯😬 everything was very clean and in order.

What the...? Oh, haircut? For one moment I thought you might be walking like John Wayne 😱

Great work on the PE Johnny, always good to see new uses for tools :D 

As for the rivets. One, two, lots. That’s as far as my rivet counting goes. 
Fingers crossed for the paint tests. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I’m guessing that baffle part fits directly over this section?

Exactly, that’s how it works. 🙂

I can fit it later so not to worry right now.

Yes, it would be easier to paint the helicopter without them fitted.

Before you know it we’re masked.🦹‍♂️🦸‍♂️

Excellent work, Johnster! 👍

As you can imagine fitting a flat thing to a curved surface is tricky and as you’ve guessed that didn’t stick very well. 🙄😬🤪🤣

I struggled with these rings on my previous build, but later I decided to use a rolling pin (or something thinner) on the computer mouse pad (and PE in between) to make a curved surfaces.

Now for some unfathomable reason I thought I’d heard someone say that you seal these things with TET and that gets rid of the carrier film. DON’T DO THIS. I didn’t even double check just clumped in with size ten boots.

That was a manufacturer’s recommendation to use an extra thin cement as a carrier film removing solution. It’s sad to hear that it didn’t work... 😼

Hope you’re enjoying this as much as I am.

Absolutely! 👏

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:
23 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

That was a manufacturer’s recommendation to use an extra thin cement as a carrier film removing solution. It’s sad to hear that it didn’t work... 😼

hmmmmm I might have another go on a mule. 🤔🤔

23 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Wow!!

Haven’t looked in on this for about a week and it’s come on in leaps and bounds. Your attention to detail is fantastic.

Hope you had a good Christmas.

John

PS I’m always intrigued by modern Russian seat harnesses. Does the ‘ pad ‘ go behind or in front of the crew member?

Thanks. As for the pad I’m not sure. If I had to bet on one I’d say behind.

20 hours ago, giemme said:

Oh, the joy of flat PE over curvy plastic... :frantic: :frantic: Smart fix, though

The riveting looks promising too, fingers crossed it will show up under the paint coats

Ciao

Thanks. I’m bending the bits now with a cocktail stick or paint brush. Hmmm yes the paint seems ok but there are other issues.

20 hours ago, IPMS19 said:

- As I wrote earlier I have doubt with those rivets settled before painting may show after, my first idea was to settle them after and from the start ,not Knowing what TET is, I had decided not to embark in this process whatever the decaling solution I had chosen before or after. I think the decal film over the paint may have an interesting weathered effect once matt varnish applied but it remain some concern with the color of some of them, some are blue others red.

- So I'm sorry my friend, but you will be my pathfinder- Don't worry, in an another life, I never lost one of my guys in this rather risky job.........😎

“Snakes!!!! Asps Indy very dangerous. You go first. “ 🤣

20 hours ago, CedB said:

What the...? Oh, haircut? For one moment I thought you might be walking like John Wayne 😱

Great work on the PE Johnny, always good to see new uses for tools :D 

As for the rivets. One, two, lots. That’s as far as my rivet counting goes. 
Fingers crossed for the paint tests. 

Thanks Mr B yes lots and lots.... and lots. 🤣

18 hours ago, Massimo said:

Those rivets...

...once you're done with them, you'll end up a new man!!! 🤣

Probably.

17 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

I suppose that they are dual purpose those rivets.

One way up they are semi domed.

The other way up they are counter sunk . LOL

Looks like a lot of rivets there.

Simon.

It’s all gone dots.

3 hours ago, IPMS19 said:

-I have my own trick to fix P.E parts on curved surfaces, I just heat them slightly with a candle lighter that makes them more flexible to fit the surface without destroying their engraving

3c4o94.jpg

Nice idea. I have started slightly bending them to fit. More issues however.

• Like 3

Hey guys. Last day of 2020 and a bit of a ponder. I have got some PE on. I bent these bits before hand on a cocktail stick or brush handle. Fitted better that way.

50783039241_b684a74f89_b.jpg 50783143952_6d009322c4_b.jpg

Now that looks good. 
one step forward and all that.

I decided to test the flap under paint.

This one.

50783039146_b513fca2f0_b.jpg

Now the good news is the rivets show. 😀 bad news is so does the carrier film. 😱

50783039266_896b5b5929_b.jpg

Hmmmmmmm.

50783143877_28d2617607_b.jpg

What a to do???? I’m not too keen on that but I think it looks better than flat.

What do you guys think?

I’m having a play with a mule to see if the carrier film can indeed be removed.

I’ll keep you posted. Has anyone ever seen these used? Or if the film is meant to be removed?

we shall see.

Happy new year you lovely folks in model land.

Johnny.

• Like 10
  • Sad 3

Hello, Spadgent! Actualy, Arma recommended to use isopropylen alcohol to removing carrier film. I tryed that way and it works! I use soft flat brush and use soft and careful passes for done it.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Has anyone ever seen these used? Or if the film is meant to be removed?

I've never used this stuff, but IIRC, @hendie and/or @Ex-FAAWAFU  and/or @Fritag have, and from their build(s) I seem to remember the carrier film needs to be removed.

But I could as well be completely wrong, so better wait for one of them to chime in :shrug: 

Newly installed PE bits looking ace, BTW :clap: 

Happy New Year to you and all the others too!

Ciao

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, roks said:

Hello, Spadgent! Actualy, Arma recommended to use isopropylen alcohol to removing carrier film. I tryed that way and it works! I use soft flat brush and use soft and careful passes for done it.

Ok thanks. Life saver. 😍 Where do you get that from? Is it a modeling tool? 

1 minute ago, giemme said:

I've never used this stuff, but IIRC, @hendie and/or @Ex-FAAWAFU  and/or @Fritag have, and from their build(s) I seem to remember the carrier film needs to be removed.

But I could as well be completely wrong, so better wait for one of them to chime in :shrug: 

Newly installed PE bits looking ace, BTW :clap: 

Happy New Year to you and all the others too!

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio. Looks like I might have a path to follow. 🤩

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

I have never used the rivets, but FWIW, minus the rivets that carrier film looks convincing to my eye for a fabric covered control surface under paint—obviously this thought is relevant to a different build—great work Johnny & Happy 2021!  Best, Erwin 

I thought the same thing. 😯

2 hours ago, BeeKay said:

You may be able to get IPA from your chemist 👍

See now I have heard of IPA but never used it. Apart from the “ale” of course. 🍺

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

I.P.A., your local off licence of supermarket LOL.

If not , look at the great South American river Amazon.

Some good deals there.

Simon.

I ordered this.

Isopropyl Alcohol 99,9% for Cleaning 1.000ml https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D4N472Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.2F7FbZZKGV3Z

seem like the right stuff?

Johnny

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Isopropyl Alcohol 99,9% for Cleaning 1.000ml https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07D4N472Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.2F7FbZZKGV3Z

seem like the right stuff?

That will do Johnny, I use a lot for thinning acrylics.

Simon.

Also cleans P.E as well.

• Like 2

- Isopropylen,!!!- not the easiest stuff to find......,? I suppose this have a common name...,? I know an holy man of my relatives who produce some cottage made grape 80°+holy-water, may be this could make the day. Those of you attending Telford S.M.W Overseas corner may see what I mean......BETTER NEW YEAR  and KEEP SAFE

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I used to buy my IPA from the local pharmacy in the UK, but over here they don’t stock it. I got my last bottle on eBay and it’s running out but there is a Leroy Merlin in Limoges so I’ll try there when we break out of our self imposed isolation, post vaccination probably.

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello John. Nice work  on the  awful, merciless and feared insect. For me always a look alike mantis. Nice work on rivets so far. Sisyhos work at all. Have a nice  coming over into the next year. and also a "guten Rutsch" from me here for the next one. Hopefully better.

Cheers Benedikt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/30/2020 at 2:37 AM, The Spadgent said:

a dusting of Tamiya pigments

Is this just to make the seat look dusty/dirty or another reason?

On 12/30/2020 at 5:26 AM, The Spadgent said:

hold the part up to a light and literally trace the shape with the blade tip

I have room for improvement here, every time I've tried to use a blade to cut masking on a canopy, I've just made a mess of things.  Nice job on yours!

On 12/30/2020 at 5:26 AM, The Spadgent said:

I call it the WWB method. “WhateverWorksBaby” 😜

I need to remember this technical term.  I've had my share of Rube Goldberg style jigs (jiggery pokery?).  That PE plate looks pretty nice, though!

I really hope that your rivets work with the paint  They look pretty awesome right now -- I'd hate to think all that hard work is for naught... 😕 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, giemme said:

I've used lines of HGW 0.2mm rivets and for those at least the carrier film needed to be removed.  I lifted the film off after letting the rivets dry overnight.  I had a bit of trouble with some of the rivets lifting off with the film and found that applying them to a surface primed with thinned Mr Surfacer 1000 worked best; and using lost of Micro Sol during the application.  Here's a link to one of the (too many) posts covering my faffing about...

HGW Rivets

@Ex-FAAWAFU covered an entire 1/48 Sea King with HGW rivets - he's the expert :D

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1