Nobbly Bobbly! The Mi-24v “HIND” 1/48 by Zvezda WIP.

On 24/12/2020 at 10:45, roginoz said:

A safe, happy and plague-free Christmas to you 'n' yours too, Johnny.

Really enjoying this build and taking copious notes on your method, so I can hopefully apply it to the Mi-26 when it emerges from the stash.......

Rog

Thank you and merry Christmas. 😇

On 24/12/2020 at 11:45, giemme said:

:wow:what an update, Johnny - really coming together! Looking forward to the paint job!

Meanwhile, Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Ciao 

You too Giorgio hope you all had a lovely day. 😃

On 24/12/2020 at 11:58, perdu said:

Great update Johnny , looks to be a bostin pie too.

Enjoy your walk mate, due to Governmental inability to do simple addition I can't go out til after the 25th.

Feeling aggrieved, exposure to a Covid case last Monday add 10 days I make it all my time served last night.

They say end of 25th...

Can I just become Bill the moggler* now, those cockpits are the usual 'Incredible Johnty Job' workmanship.

Fabbuloso as Jules would have said.

😆👍😆👍😆👍😆👍😆👍😆👍😆

*Available for industrial strength whinging and funeral eulogies, anywhere in Tier Three for now!

Thanks Bill. I hope you had a good day and that you’re as free as a bird now. Well kind of. 🤩

On 24/12/2020 at 12:46, Spookytooth said:

Great update Johnny.

We are in tier 4 down here so no real socializing to be done.

So we`ve pull up the drawbridge and said s*d it.

Happy Chrimbo sir to you and family.

Simon.

Thanks Simon. Hope you and yours had a lovely day. Take care. 

On 24/12/2020 at 13:33, Quiet Mike said:

Merry Christmas to you and yours Johnny! (From a soon to be Tier 4 Southampton)  I finished work last night too so hoping for some quality time in the modelling den over the next week 😎   (And my Secret Santa at work was a 1/72 Airfix Defiant, brilliant!)  Need to walk the mutt and ice the Christmas cake first though ...

Thank you. Merry Christmas to you too. Hope you had a great day. Good luck with the den time. 😃

On 24/12/2020 at 16:05, James G said:

Hi Johnny. Sorry to disappoint you with the hydraulics block and APU, yes both are virtually built from scratch! Great work you are doing on the 1/48 version. 

No worries. I contemplated making them after finishing the engines as it wouldn’t have been too much of a stretch but I figured I’d have my hands full with the rivets and other internals so I’ll leave her where she is. 😇

On 24/12/2020 at 16:18, James G said:

And a merry Christmas to you and yours!

You too dear boy. 😀

On 24/12/2020 at 16:59, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Blimmin’ ‘eck, Johnny - somehow I had completely missed this.  Fabulous stuff so far; you’ve got to love a Hind (unless it’s a real one looking for you with bad intent...)

Thanks. I hope you enjoy the rest of the build. Still not a lot being built at this scale. 

On 24/12/2020 at 20:09, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Take a look at the Mi-24A’s port side:

spacer.png

I can’t find any additional information about these things, but it’s not present on the late Hinds.

Exciting work on the fuselage, Johnny! 👏

Merry Christmas to you and your family! 🎅

Thank you once again Nikolay. This info is great!! Strange they didn’t add alternative panels? Maybe in the future. Merry Christmas. 🎄

On 24/12/2020 at 22:20, opus999 said:

Wow!  Suddenly it all comes together and looks like a helicopter! :D I'm getting really excited about how this is turning out.

Say, is that starship Enterprise near the window one that you built?

Isn't  that great when that happens? My best friend and I are both only children and met the first week of High School and have been thick as thieves ever since.  His son and two of my sons are really close now too.  I think I've got you beat though... my best friend married my wife's best friend.

Merry Christmas to you and your family Johnny!  Thanks for the entertaining, and quite informative build threads this year! :) 

Thanks ! 😃 yes it is an enterprise. I built it about a decade ago. Hand painted with enamels. Very old school and really not very good. Great story about friends.😇 hope you had a great Christmas.

On 26/12/2020 at 09:13, CedB said:

A belated Merry Christmas to you and yours Jont :) 

Superb modelling, as usual. Those internals still make me :gobsmacked:

Thanks Ced. Hope you and the fam had a great day. 🎄🙌😃

• Like 4

Merry Christmas guys and gals. Hope you all had a splendid day. Maybe even with some family or friends.😇🎄❤️
Thank you for all the kind words.

I got some cancer Time yesterday but didn’t have time to post up so I thought I’d remedy that.

The masking continues by using the doors and panels tacked in place with a little gators grip.

50761852928_005003039e_b.jpg

I was looking at @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies’s build of the 1/72 version and saw he had canopy woes. So even though I had checked I needed a bit of confirmation.

A dry fit.

50762705477_c4bf844e4a_b.jpg

From the front, everything seems to fit well.

50762699502_e2acf033c1_b.jpg

No fouling from the internals that I can see. I still need to fit some of the sights but everything seems to have lots of room.

50762705482_201a80eb09_b.jpg

I need to get this all together so I can check for seams and begin the rivets. Nothing for it! I can’t put it off any longer. It begins. 🤣

50762586761_6f3fbdd19a_b.jpg

I have a list of things to do so I should be able to progress quite quickly.

Ahhh look he wants a hug. 😬

50761864723_52b4377996_b.jpg

And with base colours.

50763049716_3078fc7a20_b.jpg

That got a few gloss coats ready for washes and powders.

While that dried I continued getting the main frame ready. The rest of the door glass added masked and tacked in place.

50762699577_448a9ea2f3_b.jpg

I need to start getting the external PE on too so I can get the rivets done so this seems to be a logical next step. The front wheel well needs removing.

50762699587_f3fcb5184e_b.jpg

So, so glad I bought those micro chisels.

They made light work of this in a tight space. I wish I had had then when I was clearing out the lancaster’s bomb bay.

50762698422_a857825792_b.jpg

Now this looks quite simple.

50762699382_39d5c2a4a3_b.jpg

Trust me it isn’t. 😫 glad I used gators grip thin rather than CA as I would have made a right pigs ear of it. Lots of falling over of parts and repositioning. Eventually we had this.

50761858438_eb00a78827_b.jpg

That fitted snugly in here.

50761864778_c718cddcb3_b.jpg

I highly recommend a few test fits before adding glue. 
some damage limitation before doing a few test sprays of primer to check seams.

50763049806_83859a353f_b.jpg

Not bad all in all. A few panel lines to re instate but I’m happy.

50762319023_979fdb1413_b.jpg

The top side has a lot less issues.

50762319018_af04de8efa_b.jpg

And that was that. Hopefully I’ll get a bit more done today.

Thanks for tagging along.

Take care y’hear.

Johnny.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Fabulous and inspiring as always Jonny. Can’t wait to see how those rivets complete a beautifully executed build so far and then paint! It’s just like waiting for Santa 😂🤣😂.

All the best

Brian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

This info is great!! Strange they didn’t add alternative panels? Maybe in the future.

This panel os on the «A» version’s sprue along with the forward fuselage and cockpit parts.

Merry Christmas. 🎄

Merry Christmas, Johnny! 🎅

No fouling from the internals that I can see. I still need to fit some of the sights but everything seems to have lots of room.

It’s a good news; looks like you’re placing an IP shroud as it was intended by manufacturer. 😉

Trust me it isn’t. 😫 glad I used gators grip thin rather than CA as I would have made a right pigs ear of it. Lots of falling over of parts and repositioning. Eventually we had this.

Excellent work! 👏 I hope I’ll receive my ordered from the USA bending tool for the PE parts soon.

6 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

That fitted snugly in here.

Great fit and a great addition to this high-visible area.

6 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

The top side has a lot less issues.

Clean job, bravo! 👍

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BeeKay said:

Fabulous and inspiring as always Jonny. Can’t wait to see how those rivets complete a beautifully executed build so far and then paint! It’s just like waiting for Santa 😂🤣😂.

All the best

Brian

Thanks. Santa huh. 🎅I don’t think I can upstage the BIG man. 🤣

8 hours ago, hendie said:

looks to be coming together very nicely Johnny.  A very purposeful machine.

Thanks. 

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Great work Johnny :) 

Thank you Mr B.

3 hours ago, opus999 said:

Is that engine compartment going to be sealed, or are you going to display it open, or....?  That engine with all the wiring is so beautiful it seems a shame to lock it away forever... ;) 

only temporarily sealed as I mentioned to mask the area while painting. I’ll open everything up after the top coat. 😇

4 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

This panel os on the «A» version’s sprue along with the forward fuselage and cockpit parts.

Ahhhh I see.

Excellent work! 👏 I hope I’ll receive my ordered from the USA bending tool for the PE parts soon.

Thanks. I’m glad you’re getting a tool. I don’t know what I’d do without mine. You can do PE without but it’s so much more stressful.

Clean job, bravo! 👍

Too kind. 🤩

• Like 3

Thanks. I’m glad you’re getting a tool. I don’t know what I’d do without mine. You can do PE without but it’s so much more stressful.

Yes, the results can be unpredictable... Also the punch tool is on my wish list.

I have some Eduard PE sets but never tried them yet. It would be interesting to compare these sets with a Microdesign’s ones.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Yes, the results can be unpredictable... Also the punch tool is on my wish list.

I have some Eduard PE sets but never tried them yet. It would be interesting to compare these sets with a Microdesign’s ones.

ahhh the punch tool. its a little winner. A wooden box for it should also be on your list. :D 

6 hours ago, Massimo said:

The detail on the engine with all the piping looks fantastic! The seat is a gem!

Now the fuelage is closed and primed and looks great!!!

Well done Jonny!!!

Thank you sir. far too kind.

5 hours ago, James G said:

Great work Johnny, it will look super when finished.

Thanks I do hope so.

A bit more was done this morning. I ( Well we ) Also started this.

Hope you join along for more flying piano fun. :frantic:

• Like 2

I do like that seat Johnny, and the front wheel well is a huge improvement too. I'm really looking forward to seeing the rivets go on.

Mainly because I like watching other people's modelling struggles! :D

Ian

• Haha 3

- Again thank you for this WIP, It is very helpfull for me , and the other builders of this kit, I discover a mistake I made in the forward photoetched wheel bay, I had glued the inside strengtheners on each side instead of in the middle of it........

• Like 2

On 28/12/2020 at 15:20, Spookytooth said:

All looking very nice there Johnny.

Looking forward to the  rivets.

Simon.

Thanks Simon. Wait no more for rivets. 😍

On 28/12/2020 at 16:35, Brandy said:

I do like that seat Johnny, and the front wheel well is a huge improvement too. I'm really looking forward to seeing the rivets go on.

Mainly because I like watching other people's modelling struggles! :D

Ian

Thanks Ian. More fun than a struggle. 😇🙌

On 28/12/2020 at 18:44, giemme said:

Excellent progress, Johnny  - the front wheel well looks very promising  :worthy:  :clap:

Ciao 

Thanks. It is nice but I wish it was somewhere where you can see the effort.  🤣

On 29/12/2020 at 08:53, IPMS19 said:

- Again thank you for this WIP, It is very helpfull for me , and the other builders of this kit, I discover a mistake I made in the forward photoetched wheel bay, I had glued the inside strengtheners on each side instead of in the middle of it........

You’re welcome. I like to post up to help folk who are building and because it’s fun to share. Glad you fixed the PE. 🙌

Johnny

• Like 2

Merry Twixedmas you lot. Currently out for the first time in a long time. Getting my hair cut before we get out in a higher tier. Masked up and distanced. A least the wait allows me post up more work on the Hind.

The seat got a flory and Citidel wash a dusting of Tamiya pigments and a top coat. 😇 Turned out well I think.

50777762963_db1aba972f_b.jpg

But of a pig to get in place s as I had knocked the struts off last week and had to glue them back on. Of course in a slightly different alignment so they didn’t quite fit the holes. 🥺 A bit of a jiggle here and there and we are in. Phew.

50777762933_6e67ab20ce_b.jpg

The control column got fitted also.

As did the target view Finder thing. 

50778524071_efa7971110_b.jpg

And from the other side.

I’m happy with that. 🥰

50778524121_194e6e5098_b.jpg

Holy moley. There is loads more but I’ll have to post later as my battery is low. 

see y’all later.

Johnny

• Like 14

💇‍♂️💇‍♂️💇‍♂️ Snippity snip and we’re done. That’s the closest I have been to someone not in my family for Months. 😯😬 everything was very clean and in order. So let’s get back to the update shall we.🤩

The side exhaust covers are a little kit in themselves. I’m doing this kit open as you know but there are no instructions on how to do this version open. @Nikolay Polyakov has kindly posted some pictures earlier in this thread on how it hinges down attached to the maintenance hatch. I’ll try and make that work for this build but there are a few things that need fixing and a few unanswered questions.

the locating lugs need removing if I am to have this part on show. (Left one removed)

50779134577_f30d86b91b_b.jpg

Also do I fit this part of the exhaust? I’m assuming I do but I can’t find any pics of how this works in reality. I’m guessing that baffle part fits directly over this section?

50778523366_025016b7e3_b.jpg

I can fit it later so not to worry right now. 
Here are the covers dry fitted and awaiting internal paint.

50777950458_954c37de7d_b.jpg

Masking next door I can get that greenhouse on. 😇

the lines are very faint but with a brand new blade it was quite an easy job. A little tip if there isn’t much of a groove to pick out with a cocktail stick, hold the part up to a light and literally trace the shape with the blade tip.

50779017366_e49fc54395_b.jpg

Before you know it we’re masked.🦹‍♂️🦸‍♂️

50777761928_d450910e2c_b.jpg

Now I thought. PE or rivets. 🤔

I figured PE so I had a go with what looked like a fun bit. The exhaust ridge, seen here taped down after Gators grip was applied.

50778633752_20791575c0_b.jpg

As you can imagine fitting a flat thing to a curved surface is tricky and as you’ve guessed that didn’t stick very well. 🙄😬🤪🤣

So a new tube of Rocket red and a very sophisticated clamping system was employed.

50778633732_c8f27e0046_b.jpg

So jammed between my PE marble and the lamp with a pair of scissors resting on the part weighted down with a bending tool. (See sophisticated) 🤣🥲

50778633567_7ab3b5a84d_b.jpg

I call it the WWB method. “WhateverWorksBaby” 😜

While that dried I built and tidied these bits.

50778523181_7b8a05f66f_b.jpg

Also these wheel well covers will need some attention. surprising as the fest of the kit is amazing.

50779017386_aedd37cf7c_b.jpg

Eventually after some time the PE part had cured in place.

50778254133_7c61c39372_b.jpg

Givi g me time to think that adding the PE first is a bad idea soooo looks like it’s rivet O’Clock.

50779128672_a5d81eed9a_b.jpg

Here are the guides.

50778254183_e460acfb4f_b.jpg 50779128637_2899518029_b.jpg

Hmmmm lots. 😳😮

well as they say in the Black Country “This Waw get the baaby waashd” 

So a start was made. Looks like the whole sheet is just carrier film and you cut whatever shape you like and stick it on like a regular decal.

50778721091_168729f968_b.jpg

Now for some unfathomable reason I thought I’d heard someone say that you seal these things with TET and that gets rid of the carrier film. DON’T DO THIS. I didn’t even double check just clumped in with size ten boots. Luckily I only popped on a small amount and upon watching the decal crumple and melt as if on fire I quickly stopped. 😱😱😱 luckily I tidied up any damage and it looks fine.

50778634607_7bfcbd7668_b.jpg

This is going to be a slow process. If you don’t like decals or have no patience for such things I suggest that you don’t choose this path. The work on the tail took me about an hour or so.

50777762908_3a83bae3cc_b.jpg

Quite a few parts are layed out for you but some expect you to build up the rivets using lines. 

50778524081_40ab4ea2e8_b.jpg

Having gone down this route with the Lancaster i’m a little sceptical that these will show up after paint. They do look deeper than the HGW ones but I think I’ll prime the tail and check. I’ll add the PE to the tail first as I don’t want to paint too many layers. 

and that’s yer lot.

Hope you’re enjoying this as much as I am. Take care and as always.

Happy Modelling.

Jonster. ❄️

• Like 16

Wow!!

Haven’t looked in on this for about a week and it’s come on in leaps and bounds. Your attention to detail is fantastic.

Hope you had a good Christmas.

John

PS I’m always intrigued by modern Russian seat harnesses. Does the ‘ pad ‘ go behind or in front of the crew member?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, the joy of flat PE over curvy plastic... :frantic: :frantic: Smart fix, though

The riveting looks promising too, fingers crossed it will show up under the paint coats

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

- As I wrote earlier I have doubt with those rivets settled before painting may show after, my first idea was to settle them after and from the start ,not Knowing what TET is, I had decided not to embark in this process whatever the decaling solution I had chosen before or after. I think the decal film over the paint may have an interesting weathered effect once matt varnish applied but it remain some concern with the color of some of them, some are blue others red.

- So I'm sorry my friend, but you will be my pathfinder- Don't worry, in an another life, I never lost one of my guys in this rather risky job.........😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1