Nobbly Bobbly! The Mi-24v “HIND” 1/48 by Zvezda WIP.

That interior looks incredible.  I love the rivets on the etched parts.  

I'm going to have to try that vallejo metal paint -- that silver looks great and you really did a great job making it look used.

Love that picture by the fireplace. :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Wow wow !! Great piping on the engines...

That will be a gem !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks dear CC you’re too kind. 

8 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

That is some really great detailing on the engines - superb!    :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Bill

Thank you sir.

7 hours ago, hendie said:

Engines look fantastic with the added pipery Johnny.  Sit back and be proud of that!

Thanks Hendie. Hopefully I’ll still like them this morning. They look ok in the pics. 😀

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Great wiring / pipes Jont. Impressive :) 

Thanks Mr B.

6 hours ago, opus999 said:

That interior looks incredible.  I love the rivets on the etched parts.  

I'm going to have to try that vallejo metal paint -- that silver looks great and you really did a great job making it look used.

Love that picture by the fireplace. :D 

Thanks. I think I said I was going to post a pic of the paint. I’ll do that today. ❤️

2 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Ah, these wires looks superb, Johnny! 👍 I think it’s an excellent representation of the real thing. Bravo! 👏

Thanks Nikolay. Now this is done we can.... 😉

1 hour ago, Johnny Tip said:

That looks absolutely fantastic! 🤩🤩🤩 the painting, the wiring, the whole package... as was to be expected, btw

Oh my. Thank you.

1 hour ago, giemme said:

As all the others said, spectacular job on the piping/wiring, J!  :worthy:  :worthy:

Ciao 

Thanks Giorgio.

40 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Stunning engines and bay's a testament to your attention to the smallest detail

Stay safe       Roger

Too kind. Thank you so much.

Wow! What a great way to wake up. 😇😃 Thank you all so much for your kind words. It’s so nice to be part of a forum that is full of love and good thoughts. It warms the cockles so it does. ❤️🍷🙌

Johnny

• Like 5

On 22/12/2020 at 10:04, Spookytooth said:

Nice work on the wiring there Johnny.

Simon.

Thanks Simon. 😇

On 22/12/2020 at 08:24, Brandy said:

I love the paintwork on those engines Johnny, and the added pipework really makes them look busy. Great work!

Ian

Thank you sir. All downhill from now on. 🤪

On 22/12/2020 at 08:38, IPMS19 said:

- Superb work Johnny !!! the most realistic wiring I've ever seen, very commendable to attend S.M.W 21 (may it be) competition an eye on the Gold......

Ha! Far too kind. I don’t do model shows. I was thinking maybe Telford this year but simply to actually meet some of the friends I’ve met on BM. 😀 alas. Maybe next year. 😔

On 22/12/2020 at 12:17, moaning dolphin said:

Great work on those engines, love the metallic look, and as for the multicoloured spaghetti, very convincing, job done!

Bob

Thank you. “Multicoloured spaghetti” yes exactly that. 🤪

On 22/12/2020 at 13:55, AliGauld said:

That wiring reminded me of the back of my HiFi but yours is a sight tidier.

Beautiful work Sir.

Cheers,

Alistair

Funny I thought exactly the same. Thanks. 😊

On 22/12/2020 at 18:56, IGKent said:

Great update Johnny! :clap:

Thank you sir. 

• Like 3

Thanks guys for the kind words. 🥰

This is the first year in a long time I haven’t worked right up until The end. Usually Christmas Eve. So it’s been a real treat having some time to myself. Yesterday was a perfect example. I think my brain knew I had time to PING! 4:30am there it was ticking over what I was doing next on the hind so up I got and moved up to the cave. ❤️
I needed to fit the fuselage so the windows had to go in. Gators grip is your friend. Excuse the glowing picture I caught the light and couldn’t resist.

50752057283_bb16c08f1c_b.jpg

While they dried I piped on some of the many details on the main fuselage front.

50752057223_8e3234518b_b.jpg

It was always going to be a one side First affair due to the internals and that rear landing bay so one side on with CA to add strength at the hidden parts.

50752057333_fc1bc58fb7_b.jpg

After that had cited for a bit the other side could be fitted and look! Pegs. Seems like forever since I used pegs.

50752052288_29e8c3ea64_b.jpg

Looks like a rubbish AT-AT. 🤪🤣 notice the precarious TET/thinners tower just in case it falls. 😬🤪🤦‍♂️
luckily it didn’t. 💆‍♂️
overall the fit was spot on. The bit at the top by the engines and the bit at the bottom just didn’t want to snuggle in 100% at the same time. 🤔 

Not wanting to ruffle the feathers of the engines I glued the top well and decided to fix up the underside.

As you can see. Not too bad, just a slight lip and a slight gap. 

50752052258_a9b51fe121_b.jpg

Thin plasticard was added and glued.

50752052053_1a64d18ebe_b.jpg

Cut to shape and ppp added to the little bits.

50752783796_d787feb295_b.jpg

This was left to dry and tidied up later on. This is where we are at. Not at all bad. 😊

50752783791_a8349f85dd_b.jpg

The instructions go wild at this bit with lots of little sun assemblies. Humps and bumps, nobbles and indeed bobbles. 
Nose and rear section parts built.

50752783986_817dd1ecbc_b.jpg

And added.

50752783921_2a596223cf_b.jpg

The fit on these curved parts is amazing I have to say. I’m really a big fan of Zvezda at this point. 
The rear part fitted too.

50752895422_898ec34788_b.jpg

This bit was a bit odd as there were no locating pins and it had the opportunity to fit at any point on that surface. The instructions weren’t that clear so I used my ref book. Also see that panel on the side with a bit of spilled TET?  That was a part. Just a square that fitted in place and just on this side? I can’t see why? Either way it’s on and holes drilled.

the wing sun assemblies got built.

50752890222_bc6400ddc5_b.jpg

@Nikolay Polyakov warned me about these not being straight but that’s how they’re meant to be. I feel he’s right. If you glue them as they line up the assemblies feel a little twisted but due to the “twist” it’s right. 🤞

Here they are all glued.

50753380048_1d3cc217ae_b.jpg

Once again a great fit. 😇

Here is the top turbine thing that snugly fits by the engines. This fits well but does need a spot of filler.

50754215117_e70d14c3ac_b.jpg

Many bumps and humps were fitted while I was at it.

50753380043_622ae1a38b_b.jpg

A small amount of tidy when dry but over all a great fit all around.

Look at this one!!

50754110216_d1e35e73b4_b.jpg

I’m sure they add these things just to make it look cool. 😃

The tail fins are dry fitted here. They don’t need to mate to the fuselage so I’ll fit them after painting.

50752057308_f0da66d78c_b.jpg

Next I need to mask the open parts. I’ll do this with the doors and hatches so everything gets painted in one the I can pop them off. The wings need to go on for me to do this. So.

50752789011_f3bd6fd5db_b.jpg

Really beginning to look the part. 😍

50752789031_695f2dc461_b.jpg

which reminds me I need to build that other seat before fitting the canopy.

after that I went and made pie!

50752895147_5f563402e7_b.jpg

All before the kids woke up. 😆

I might get some more done today but I’m exchanging gifts with my brother on our drive and having a socially distanced walk with my oldest friend in the fields at the back of the house.our daughters are best friends too. ❤️

what ever happens on this Christmas Eve I wish you all a very merry Christmas.

To the nicest bunch of folk on the interwebs. Take care, have fun and as always. Happy modelling.

Johnny. 🎅

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

A safe, happy and plague-free Christmas to you 'n' yours too, Johnny.

Really enjoying this build and taking copious notes on your method, so I can hopefully apply it to the Mi-26 when it emerges from the stash.......

Rog

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great update Johnny , looks to be a bostin pie too.

Enjoy your walk mate, due to Governmental inability to do simple addition I can't go out til after the 25th.

Feeling aggrieved, exposure to a Covid case last Monday add 10 days I make it all my time served last night.

They say end of 25th...

Can I just become Bill the moggler* now, those cockpits are the usual 'Incredible Johnty Job' workmanship.

Fabbuloso as Jules would have said.

😆👍😆👍😆👍😆👍😆👍😆👍😆

*Available for industrial strength whinging and funeral eulogies, anywhere in Tier Three for now!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Merry Christmas to you and yours Johnny! (From a soon to be Tier 4 Southampton)  I finished work last night too so hoping for some quality time in the modelling den over the next week 😎   (And my Secret Santa at work was a 1/72 Airfix Defiant, brilliant!)  Need to walk the mutt and ice the Christmas cake first though ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/21/2020 at 9:19 PM, The Spadgent said:

Hey you lot. Hope you’re having a lovely weekend. Not a lot done during the week as I’m back at work. But I have got a few bits and bobs done and I had a spot at the bench today. 🤩

I tidied up the fuselage? Halves and dooooood a dry fit because I couldn’t resist it. 🤣

50630248316_e380c636e7_b.jpg

Yay!! Looking gooood. 🥳

Realistically I had to start painting the gear compartment.  So everything started to get masked. During this process I noticed this in the instructions.

I needed to glue that bracket in  place before I glued the sides on so luckily I managed to wiggle off the right hand panel and fit the nose turret spinner.

50630347462_a4028e73c3_b.jpg

Here it is fitted. It slows for the gun to swivel. 🤓

50630347827_148923277b_b.jpg

After that I glued it all back together again, masked and got on with painting.

pre shade first.

gears.

50630248206_ecdfc3a27c_b.jpg

Roof section.

50630248786_b325620b53_b.jpg

Engine housing.

50630248166_e77184631c_b.jpg

Wall section.

50629503883_1ac6ee615f_b.jpg

The instructions will have you paint these grey but I have seen them blue so I’m running with that. It’s a grey/blue🤣

engine housing.

50629503818_4652afef21_b.jpg

Fire wall.

50629503513_ea65413e80_b.jpg

Rear cabin.

50630248681_e9ab91ffb7_b.jpg

And roof.

50629503428_7102cd9216_b.jpg

Excuse the explanation  but I have seen a few people of late struggling with masking tape lifting paint. Specifically acrylics, so I thought I’d show my process.  The side walls of that roof need masking so I de-tac the tape first in my big greasy palm at lest twice.

50629503993_7837b1eccb_b.jpg

Then mask with it.

50629503473_bff164c819_b.jpg

Then spray and peel off with no paint lift. Doddle. 

50630347477_c7ed69f026_b.jpg

I rarely if ever get paint lifting doing this. 🤓👍 

The gear case and other bits got painted a bright blue (called for by the instructions ) I havnt seen one this colour but I kind of like it so I’ll believe them. 🥳

50630347622_e2ee427a0a_b.jpg

All the parts got a gloss top coat ready for detailing tomorrow. 🧐

50630347862_17244e041a_b.jpg

I was looking at what @James G had done on his wonderful 1/72 version and was looking how the doors opened in the two rear sections (air con and box thing behind the gear box) They don’t. 😫he scratched them👌. Thinking about it and as good as his looks I’m leaving mine as Zvezda intended. I’ll add detail and wires but I’m not opening up extra bits.  I’ll hit the construction and scratch wires tomorrow. 🤩🤩🤩Oh and more news on the river front. After the talk of Arma rivet sheets @Nikolay Polyakov got in touch and said he happend to have a spare set of rivets and would I like him to send them. 🤩🤩🤩🥳🥳🥳🤩🤩🤩

Needless to say I accepted his very kind offer. 😍

I bloody love the folk on BM, So kind it warms my cockles I tells ya. 🥰

What an absolute star that man is.
So as we speak some 1/48 rivets are winging there way to the West Midlands all the way from snowy Russia. Brilliant!! 
so this gives me time to work up the engine compartments.

So a BIG Thankyou to Nickolay and thanks to you all for helping out with info for the build.

More Tomorrow.

Take care and as always.

Happy modelling dear friends.

Johnny. 

Hi Johnny. Sorry to disappoint you with the hydraulics block and APU, yes both are virtually built from scratch! Great work you are doing on the 1/48 version. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Just a square that fitted in place and just on this side? I can’t see why?

Take a look at the Mi-24A’s port side:

spacer.png

I can’t find any additional information about these things, but it’s not present on the late Hinds.

Exciting work on the fuselage, Johnny! 👏

Merry Christmas to you and your family! 🎅

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov
Wrong knob pushed...
  • Thanks 1

Wow!  Suddenly it all comes together and looks like a helicopter! :D I'm getting really excited about how this is turning out.

Say, is that starship Enterprise near the window one that you built?

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

a socially distanced walk with my oldest friend in the fields at the back of the house.our daughters are best friends too. ❤️

Isn't  that great when that happens? My best friend and I are both only children and met the first week of High School and have been thick as thieves ever since.  His son and two of my sons are really close now too.  I think I've got you beat though... my best friend married my wife's best friend.

Merry Christmas to you and your family Johnny!  Thanks for the entertaining, and quite informative build threads this year! :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1