Nobbly Bobbly! The Mi-24v “HIND” 1/48 by Zvezda WIP.

Ho-lee smoke, those PE switches must be from outer (aero)space! 

I cannot praise those two cubicles high enough, and I'm eagerly waiting for your Hind's( - the chopper, I mean) engine compartment to develope!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello Johnny The Hind,

excellent progress on the cockpit so far! 👏 The PE parts installation looks great.

On 15/11/2020 at 22:13, The Spadgent said:

Next to glue is the left office panel.

When I built the 72nd scale version of this kit, I glued the left office panel only on its aft and leave the forward portion to move freely - it’s saved some time on the dry fitting.

On 15/11/2020 at 22:13, The Spadgent said:

And I assume the gear box?

That’s it!

Have a nice modelling week! 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is coming along rather nicely, Johnny. I've just done a catch up an am suitably impressed.

I don't think anyone has posted a shot of the Giger Hind?

28795453_1962241424027957_57850383474538

In 1989 I was at Odiham. Our Engineering Officer took some of us to the Helimeet at Redhill. The Russians had landed!

We had free access to a Hind, a Havoc, Mil 26 and 17. It felt rather like looking at flying saucers, after all those years of the cold war.

I was building the Monogram 1/48th Hind at the time. I wanted to find out where the refuelling point was on the real thing for a diorama.

As well as the groundcrew, there were some heavyset chaps in bad suits. I asked nicely but got nowhere! Maybe it was my MOD nametag badge?

• Like 8

50 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

In 1989 I was at Odiham. Our Engineering Officer took some of us to the Helimeet at Redhill. The Russians had landed!

You lucky soul Pete, that Helitech (think Helimeet was another event?) still amazes me now, it was pre 'the wall' coming down and there was this fantastic Russian hardware on show.  For me the Hind was an absolute exotic poster helicopter, loved the weirdness of the Helix, impressed by the size of the Halo, and I didn't even know the Havoc existed.

I remember being invited on a trip up from Cornwall, but turned it down as I didn't think watching some Gazelles and Jet Rangers fluttering around would be worth the 500 mile round journey - how I regretted that decision!

There is some good video of it somewhere that I can't find now, but some good pictures here,

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/airshow/Redhill - Helitech - 1989?f=&f=&sort=registration&order=asc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This build is looking amazing! I will be merrily stealing.....ermmm, "borrowing" some of your techniques to try. Thanks for sharing with us.

As one of the earlier posters on this thread related, when the Hind is sitting on perfectly flat ground, you can just about see that the main body is "twisted" very slightly to the right, compared to the direction of travel. This was an intentional part of the design and was introduced to help reduce the effects of torque, if I remember correctly. Apparently Zvezda are the only kit-manufacturers to re-create this part of the design. Even Trumpeter did not include the twist in their 1/35th moulds (but no surprise there, then). 

Good luck in your build, my friend. We can't have enough Hinds on the modelling-sites. They're pretty darned ugly, but so VERY functional. When they fought in the Russian occupation of Afghanistan, the locals called them "the Devil's Chariot".

Cheers.

Chris. 

Edited by spruecutter96
Correcting a typo.
  • Thanks 1

Wow Johnny, that cockpit is amazing.  It's a good thing that there are two big bubble canopies so you'll be able to see at least some of that hard work.  The scratch-building is very impressive too... I really like how this is coming toge

• Thanks 1

- About rivet, I recently got my HIND from Russia and I've had the good surprise to find this in the box...evidently it is not a regular stuff of the kit.......Gift.....,? Whatever I thanks the donor, but I think I'm in the way for some headache and lot of time spent on this.......

M5ITKb.jpg

• Like 10

10 hours ago, IPMS19 said:

- About rivet, I recently got my HIND from Russia and I've had the good surprise to find this in the box...evidently it is not a regular stuff of the kit.......Gift.....,? Whatever I thanks the donor, but I think I'm in the way for some headache and lot of time spent on this.......

M5ITKb.jpg

Oh my word!!!! That looks like the rivet set by arma models. I have been looking for that. Free in the box you say?? Lucky Sausage. I’d love that.  Where did you buy it? And do you know if they sell the decals separately?

Thanks for any help and good luck with your build. When will you start?

John

• Like 1

On 15/11/2020 at 19:56, Hamden said:

Very smart looking office Johnny

Stay safe     Roger

Thank you.

On 15/11/2020 at 20:28, Lewis95 said:

Very tidy! 

Thanks.

On 15/11/2020 at 20:35, perdu said:

proper job J

Thanks Bill. 🤩

On 15/11/2020 at 22:46, 71chally said:

Superb work, you have brought the cockpit to life.  Like you, I feel this is the one weak area of the kit, and really deserves a complete resin affair.

Indeed! And thanks.

On 15/11/2020 at 23:18, exdraken said:

Your cockpit looks great!

Thankee

On 16/11/2020 at 00:01, CedB said:

Stunning cockpit Johnny - the PE (especially the switches) certainly adds to the detail but you've scratched it even better!

Great job :) 

Far too kind Mr B. 🤩

On 16/11/2020 at 07:31, Biggles87 said:

Agreed; That filing cabinet at the back must be a bit difficult to reach though!

John

Shhhhhh. 🤣

On 16/11/2020 at 08:20, James G said:

Great work again Johnny. I wish that I had some more WIP shots of the work that I did in my Hind cockpit as it is difficult to see in the final build, even with the doors open! 

I know what you mean. It’s really tight in there. 

On 16/11/2020 at 08:27, giemme said:

OH

MY

GOODNESS!

Fantastic job on the cockpit, Johnny! :worthy:  :clap:  :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks G. 😀

On 16/11/2020 at 10:07, IPMS19 said:

- Great cockpit,I'm eager to see your turbines and interpretation of the  transfer box ...

So am I.   Thanks. 😇

On 16/11/2020 at 11:55, Spookytooth said:

Looking very swish in the office there Johnny, smart work sir.

Stay safe.

Simon.

Cheeres. 😄

On 16/11/2020 at 12:11, Johnny Tip said:

Ho-lee smoke, those PE switches must be from outer (aero)space! 

I cannot praise those two cubicles high enough, and I'm eagerly waiting for your Hind's( - the chopper, I mean) engine compartment to develope!

🤣🤣 Thank you.

23 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Hello Johnny The Hind,

excellent progress on the cockpit so far! 👏 The PE parts installation looks great.

When I built the 72nd scale version of this kit, I glued the left office panel only on its aft and leave the forward portion to move freely - it’s saved some time on the dry fitting.

That’s it!

Have a nice modelling week! 👍

Ahhh I wish I read that before gluing. It seems to have gone in though. 👍

22 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

This is coming along rather nicely, Johnny. I've just done a catch up an am suitably impressed.

I don't think anyone has posted a shot of the Giger Hind?

28795453_1962241424027957_57850383474538

We had free access to a Hind, a Havoc, Mil 26 and 17. It felt rather like looking at flying saucers, after all those years of the cold war.

I was building the Monogram 1/48th Hind at the time. I wanted to find out where the refuelling point was on the real thing for a diorama.

As well as the groundcrew, there were some heavyset chaps in bad suits. I asked nicely but got nowhere! Maybe it was my MOD nametag badge?

Wow!!!! Amazing story, thanks for sharing. I saw a model version of the Giger mi-24 on FB the other day. Man that one was special. 😇😇

21 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

This build is looking amazing! I will be merrily stealing.....ermmm, "borrowing" some of your techniques to try. Thanks for sharing with us.

As one of the earlier posters on this thread related, when the Hind is sitting on perfectly flat ground, you can just about see that the main body is "twisted" very slightly to the right, compared to the direction of travel. This was an intentional part of the design and was introduced to help reduce the effects of torque, if I remember correctly. Apparently Zvezda are the only kit-manufacturers to re-create this part of the design. Even Trumpeter did not include the twist in their 1/35th moulds (but no surprise there, then). 

Good luck in your build, my friend. We can't have enough Hinds on the modelling-sites. They're pretty darned ugly, but so VERY functional. When they fought in the Russian occupation of Afghanistan, the locals called them "the Devil's Chariot".

Cheers.

Chris. 

Thanks for all the information much appreciated. I think she looks amazing but as they say “beauty is in the eye of the beholder”.  “Devils chariot” I love that! 😍

18 hours ago, opus999 said:

Wow Johnny, that cockpit is amazing.  It's a good thing that there are two big bubble canopies so you'll be able to see at least some of that hard work.  The scratch-building is very impressive too... I really like how this is coming toge

Thank you kind sir. 🤩🤩

• Like 5

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Oh my word!!!! That looks like the rivet set by arma models. I have been looking for that. Free in the box you say?? Lucky Sausage. I’d love that.  Where did you buy it? And do you know if they sell the decals separately?

John

-I Received this kit from a friend in an exchange process for an AMK  1/48 Tomcat so I can't say where he got it, but on the box cover there is an ARMA MODEL sticker in cyrilic character.

- I just began my last FULCRUM  I will begin my Hind after......say mid December

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

John

Hello,friends! That decal sheet is part of preorder at arma models shop,and,unfortunately, it`s unable for other buyers(... It is wery useful bonus for that model,indeed!

P.S. Nice build, btw!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, IPMS19 said:

-I Received this kit from a friend in an exchange process for an AMK  1/48 Tomcat so I can't say where he got it, but on the box cover there is an ARMA MODEL sticker in cyrilic character.

- I just began my last FULCRUM  I will begin my Hind after......say mid December

Ok thanks . Lucky you eh. :D   I'll look forward to your build. :) 

6 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

That cockpit is fantastic Johnny! The PE switchgear may have been a pain to put together but it certainly looks the business.

Craig.

Thank you sir. too kind.

4 hours ago, roks said:

Hello,friends! That decal sheet is part of preorder at arma models shop,and,unfortunately, it`s unable for other buyers(... It is wery useful bonus for that model,indeed!

P.S. Nice build, btw!

That's a shame. are there no plans to sell it?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Ok thanks . Lucky you eh. :D   I'll look forward to your build. :) 

Thank you sir. too kind.

That's a shame. are there no plans to sell it?

Yes,it`s really pity! Maybe,later, they do it, but not now, definitely. Me is one of those luckies,so now i`m decaling my Hind and it looks very cool! You can ask at russian model forums,maybe somebody sell some surplus for You?

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, roks said:

Yes,it`s really pity! Maybe,later, they do it, but not now, definitely. Me is one of those luckies,so now i`m decaling my Hind and it looks very cool! You can ask at russian model forums,maybe somebody sell some surplus for You?

It’s ok I can stick with my plan A. Are you doing a WIP?

• Like 1

No,i don`t open WIP tread,cause, normally ,build took a lot of time for me. So,i decide to do it,when most of job will done to prevent frustration risk)

IMG_20201118_154019 IMG_20201118_154007

My progress with rivets. 

Edited by roks
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, roks said:

No,i don`t open WIP tread,cause, normally ,build took a lot of time for me. So,i decide to do it,when most of job will done to prevent frustration risk)

IMG_20201118_154019 IMG_20201118_154007

My progress with rivets. 

Wow! You should, it’s great to share ideas and such. Those rivets do look good. So many. 😳 do they paint over well?

• Like 1

- A question which arise to me, are these rivet decals to be posed before painting or after as the camo pattern requires  significant masking job is there a risk to tear them off when removing it.....,

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IPMS19 said:

- A question which arise to me, are these rivet decals to be posed before painting or after as the camo pattern requires  significant masking job is there a risk to tear them off when removing it.....,

Well,it question for me to, cause i didn`t that never before. But, i hope,after welding with acetic acid (in my case),and priming,adgesion should be strong enough. Also i saw completed model with that decals rivets,and autor didn`t meet any problems with it.

Spadgent,sorry for offtop at your tread, sir!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2