Nobbly Bobbly! The Mi-24v “HIND” 1/48 by Zvezda WIP.

19 hours ago, 71chally said:

Excellent work, cracking idea for recycling pie tins!

Thanks. I have used the foil quite a lot in the past. It’s ace.🥧

19 hours ago, CedB said:

Stunning stuff Johnny.

Love the T-shirt too! :) 

Thanks Ced. I bought it specially. 🤗

18 hours ago, hendie said:

Great start Mr J

Thanks Hendie.

17 hours ago, opus999 said:

A little late to the party... but it looks like this will be a lot of fun.  I really like the Mi-24 -- did the Hasegawa 1/72 in high school.  It was the 2nd model I ever painted with my first airbrush and I might have done better if I put the paint in my mouth and blew!

I like the different paint schemes they give you... a couple I haven't seen before.

Thanks. 🤗 I nearly spat my tea out a

when I read about your first air brush endeavour. 🤣

15 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Excellent start, Johnny! 🙂 I can imagine how it’ll looks, painted by your hands... 👍

thanks, I hope I can make it as you imagine. 

14 hours ago, roginoz said:

The pie tin cockpit floor and panel work look spot on, brilliant bit of riveting.

Told you I was gonna purloin your methods for future reference.....pies for tea !!

Rog

Thanks. More than welcome. I have used the same technique on some other builds. The Lancaster is a good example.

11 hours ago, Massimo said:

The right ingredients are all there!!!

Now let's enjoy the recipe!!!!:yes:

Thanks. 

11 hours ago, giemme said:

Fantastic job on the interiors, Johnny - very ingenious! :clap:  :clap: 

Could you post a pic of pie tin mental in its "natural" form? I'm not sure about what it is (although I do have an idea)

Ciao

Thanks G. I’ll post up the tin in tonight’s update.

9 hours ago, 71chally said:

After watching that start-up video again it could easily be 'wobbly nobbly bobbly'!

You’re not wrong. 🤣

7 hours ago, marky sparky said:

The most 'underwhelming' modern kit I think I have ever seen. It's a cracking start though, well done.

Sorry you think that way. It seems like a really good kit to my eye and a rather attractive price too. E shall see how she turns out. Maybe I can convince you otherwise? 😇

5 hours ago, Johnny Tip said:

It isn't magic you're doing there, but what you do makes you look like a wizard. 

Too kind sir.

2 hours ago, Marklo said:

I’m confused, even oob I think the hind is pretty cool and when you have so many extreme colour schemes ( I still want a Xenomorph version, even though it would probably be decal hell) it’s anything but underwhelming.

Still each to their own and everyone’s entitled to their opinion.

yes. Yes. And yessssd.

2 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

Great modelling

Thanks.

32 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Lovely start Johnny, I like the use of "Pie Foil" for panelling.

Simon.

It’s a winner for sure and thanks. 🤩

3 hours ago, alt-92 said:

If you build it OoB, yes.

One could also see it as a canvas for the artist ;)

I think it’s pretty good OOB but yes I agree with you. 😍😍

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good evening. 😀 more bench time today. I really am just having time off, it’s great. 😍

Here is the pie tin @giemme Vegetarian of course but I’m sure any pie tin will do. 🍃

50586942903_a3cc9a2f70_b.jpg

Most of today was spent enhancing the gunners seat.

I need to make a back rest from this.

50587809792_c39b46a150_b.jpg

Easy!! 🤩

50586941193_f2b666a804_b.jpg

Now I must apologise. After this I saw another version of the seat with.... well more stuff. 🥰 so I got a bit carried away. I’m positive I took pics but apparently I didn’t. 😔

so the only one I have is this one dry fitted to make sure it still..... fits. 🤪

50586940898_c2d43027d4_b.jpg

And here with primer. It’s mostly plastic are with pie tin belts. She’ll paint up lovely. 😍

50587685316_dfa4191619_b.jpg

I have also pre shaded the interior.

Left side.

50586941133_7005fd2e68_b.jpg

Cargo floor.

50586942513_80bd58e99d_b.jpg

And right side.

50586941038_941a2729f4_b.jpg

I’m really loving this at the moment. 😍😇 I have laid down a grey base layer for the floors and side walls and popped on a top coat so I can add the PE tomorrow.  Hope you like what’s going on. 

Thanks for dropping by. Hope week is going as well. 🤩

Johnny. 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Hope you like what’s going on.

Yes! 🤤 Do you use a satin or gloss paints, Johnny? Looks like you’re always applying the dull coats - it’s a bit unusual for me, but I like how it turns.

• Like 1

Superb work going on here Johnny, really doing the kit justice.

Personally I think this kit is great, superb accuracy, finely molded and at a great price point.  As said above, it can be built from the box or treated as a  blank canvass, as is happening with this build.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Yes! 🤤 Do you use a satin or gloss paints, Johnny? Looks like you’re always applying the dull coats - it’s a bit unusual for me, but I like how it turns.

I’m glad you like it. 🤩 I use Tamiya XF acrylics mainly. I tend to work in layers. Adding Tamiya ts13 (rattle can) in between the layer splits then add a final matt or semi gloss coat depending on what’s needed.  
So a bit like this:

Prime.

pre shade.

base coats. (Masking etc)

gloss.

decals

gloss

Flory wash 

gloss.

filters or post shade.

matt or semi gloss.  

Obvs  this is basic and doesn’t cover chipping etc but it’s my standard routine.  Hope that helps. 😇

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Superb work going on here Johnny, really doing the kit justice.

Personally I think this kit is great, superb accuracy, finely molded and at a great price point.  As said above, it can be built from the box or treated as a  blank canvass, as is happening with this build.

Thanks. It is a great kit and as they say it’s all about the journey. 😀

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Here is the pie tin @giemme Vegetarian of course but I’m sure any pie tin will do. 🍃

Thanks Johnny, very helpful :thumbsup:

Terrific job with the seat and the interiors, looking forward to see them painted! :clap: 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

I sat in the front seat of the one at Coventry (MAP?) and the damned thing nearly crippled me.

Arthritis was more to blame than Mil though, hard as hell to get stiffened knees out of the cockpit after five minutes.

Glad I didn't have to fly any place in it.

:)

Oh yes, watching of course, looking rather fine already Johnny.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Goddammit Johnny! 

Check your patrons have left the bar before locking them in! I've just spent goodness knows how long locked behind that door with the Horton! 

I demand a free drink, front row seat and peanuts. 

Good work so far by the way! 

• Haha 3

On 11/11/2020 at 02:05, opus999 said:

Wow.  That seat...

Thank you kind sir.

On 11/11/2020 at 07:39, CedB said:

Seconded! Great looking seat Jont :) 

Thanks Ced. (Why are there always two? )😆🤪

On 11/11/2020 at 09:55, giemme said:

Thanks Johnny, very helpful :thumbsup:

Terrific job with the seat and the interiors, looking forward to see them painted! :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio. Paint has been deployed. 😇

On 11/11/2020 at 13:03, lesthegringo said:

Was looking forward to seeing a build of one of these, it's on my wish list

Cheers

Les

Hopefully it’ll help you out when the lime comes. 🤩

On 11/11/2020 at 15:39, perdu said:

I sat in the front seat of the one at Coventry (MAP?) and the damned thing nearly crippled me.

Arthritis was more to blame than Mil though, hard as hell to get stiffened knees out of the cockpit after five minutes.

Glad I didn't have to fly any place in it.

:)

Oh yes, watching of course, looking rather fine already Johnny.

Thanks Bill. It does look awfully cramped in there so I’m not surprised.

On 13/11/2020 at 11:31, James G said:

Great work Johnny!

Thank you. 

On 13/11/2020 at 16:34, Lewis95 said:

Goddammit Johnny! 

Check your patrons have left the bar before locking them in! I've just spent goodness knows how long locked behind that door with the Horton! 

I demand a free drink, front row seat and peanuts. 

Good work so far by the way! 

All of those things are granted and can be found in your kitchen. 🤞🤞🤞 Sorry I’ll have to get you a key cut. 🤣🤣

On 13/11/2020 at 22:53, chrislowe said:

Great stuff! Looking forward to seeing this one. You always find a good balance of realism and interesting visuals but I have to say you really do have a knack for making fabulous seats. 

Thank you. Far too kind. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks to everyone for the very kind words about the build so far. Friday was going to be a modelling day but I spent a good chunk of it tying up all my RFIs. I had five to do and I needed closure baby. 😆🥳😜

With that lot out of the way I can focus totally on this sublime machine. 
The majority of the internals got a few coats of off black / dark grey and a top coat so I could start off the instruments PE.  Some have been started here.

50600241592_4014a684d5_b.jpg

They add quite a bit so I’m glad I got the zoom set at least. 🥳

There are quite a few Emerald panels.

50600124656_697fa43f9b_b.jpg

Some of the PE in this set I feel is actually taking the “P” with its construction. This bit.

50599378693_b439bc797a_b.jpg

If you don’t have a PE bender you have no chance to get all those little pins through there.  This bit needs all its pins Bent up (perfectly) 

50600241617_b7c7b78762_b.jpg

And then slotted through all the holes in the front plate.

50599378458_12cb3a395b_b.jpg

Took me about twenty minutes and my eyesight is pretty good. 🤪 You can see the pin switches in place on the far left hand panel.

50600124521_23f4384e51_b.jpg

The seat got a base coat of colours.

50599378428_22a0b8144a_b.jpg

Based on this.

50599378543_b3e62dc72a_b.jpg

I quickly came to the end of bits I could stick on. There’s more of the cockpit that gets fitted much later but this will make my life awkward so I’m doing it now.

the floor of the fuselage has the office front wall, the pilots IP and the gunners sights also need fitting as they all need PE adding. 

50600124276_5b2a635d51_b.jpg

Soooooooo paint booth time.

Pssssssssst.

50599378743_8875c8b210_b.jpg

The side walls are needed here to allow you to get the pilots IP fitted correctly. So I dry fitted them for now.

50604872978_3665d1fc7e_b.jpg

Then took them off widen the IP had cured. It’s a real pig as the fit here is a little vague without the side fuselage in place. Looks good though. 🤩

50606242597_cc4f57e3f5_b.jpg

I weathered the seat and dry fitted to see how it looked. 🤞

50605737652_e0322d16b9_b.jpg

Well the seat looks ok but rest looks awfully bare. 🤔 oven if I had invested in the extra PE I think this bit is left out which is a shame. Soooo out with the lead wire, plasticard and the paint tin.

Ping!!!! The front.

50605617141_109724e6b3_b.jpg

Left.

50604872498_dd2c09fdd2_b.jpg

and right.

50605738322_655c7eb5f9_b.jpg

That’s more like it. 🥳🤩 not 100% accurate but it’s a better representation of the busy Mi-24 office. 
Here’s a good shot of the scratched instrument panel at the rear.

50605617536_1468da96a4_b.jpg

And all together.

50605617421_e1f851233f_b.jpg

Next to glue is the left office panel.

so after dry fitting a tonne of times it was time for glue.

50605617526_33bdc3de12_b.jpg

The other fuselage side needs to go on when that’s all dry so I got on with a little bit more gluing.

the cargo roof and gear box floor sections.

50605617011_0cb140c2e1_b.jpg

And I assume the gear box?

50604873953_a9d8dc0d0e_b.jpg

looking at the reference these areas have lots of wire. Luckily I have plenty of lead. 🤣🤪🤩

Thank you for dropping in. It’s so nice to be concentrating on just one kit. I’m sure it’ll ware off. 🥳🤔

I hope you’re all having rather splendid weekends. Take care and as always chums.

Happy modelling. 

Johnny. 🚁

• Like 28

Stunning cockpit Johnny - the PE (especially the switches) certainly adds to the detail but you've scratched it even better!

Great job :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1