Nobbly Bobbly! The Mi-24v “HIND” 1/48 by Zvezda WIP.

Good morning BritModeller and welcome to my next build.

I don’t know why but this kit screamed at me to be bought and built. This will be my second Zvezda kit and slightly larger that my first, those who followed my last multi build will know what I mean. 😀 I saw many reviews of the kit ( even the flory one ) and found that most thought it to be disappointing, an upscale version of the 1/72 kit. I almost went for the smaller version but as I could get this kit for pretty much the same price and the fact I love an under dog I made my choice. 🤩

The kit itself looks awesome and I needed no help in loving this helecopter as it’s been a favourite of mine since the “Metal gear solid” game on PS1. 
There’s are a lot of choices to be made before starting this model which I will go through during this post. I’m going to try and go for accuracy but I always tend to lean for what looks cool and what makes me happy. My previous “multi build” showed that my focus is better, you know focused. 🧐 So I’m looking forward to concentrating on just one build. I can hear @corsaircorp screaming at me now. 🤣

I’m still not 100% sure which one I’m building but I’m 99% convinced it’s the scheme that’s on the front of the box because I’m a whore for a pretty picture. 🥰  The one thing I am sure of is my addition of rivets!!! Hence the title of the thread. 

Any way let me begin by laying out my stall. I have a well earned week off so fingers crossed for a bench time bonanza. 🤩

Please join me with this build, I love to have you all along for the ride filling in my knowledge base as I go and giving much needed moral support.  🥳

so without further ado.

The Mi-24v “Hind”

by Zvezda 1/48

Still here? Cool. 😍

I found this on YouTube and have no permission or affiliation with the creator but I thought it was a great view on the subject matter. 

Here is how the state of play is on day one.  This is where the magic happens. 🤣🤣🤣

50579161832_34561d076e_b.jpg

The box itself is huge with some lovely art work depicting the model I will make. (I think) 🤪 

50579025366_c7878883f3_b.jpg

Here is the scheme I’m aiming for.

50579024901_5394116c73_b.jpg

Although these ones look great too.

50579161202_633b00fb7f_b.jpg

I shall post up this intro now so I don’t lose it. And post up some more later on. 

I hope you will enjoy this build as much as I hope I will building it. 😇

Take care and as always dear chums.

Happy Modelling. 

Johnny.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Ooooh Nice !!

Looking forward to following this build !

I've got Zvesda's ginormous Mi-26 leering at me from halfway down the stash, so your build will provide me with some ideas which I'll [unashamedly] purloin.

Good to find myself in the front row for a change, instead of peering over a lot of big heads........

Go, Johnny, Go !!

Rog

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So what are we going to have then?  Afghan scheme, working powered rotors?  Lights?  It’s big enough to hide anything inside I am sure.

Now didn’t I read that the two canopies are not quite in line......

Mi-24-Offset.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Biggles87 said:

Me too, don't build helicopters but like watching 'em being built.

John

PS I should ask @bar side if you can borrow the 1/1 version in his back garden for reference.

It would never fit in my garden!  Would be cool though....  Saw a nice Lynx body at the local TA base the other day.  That might fit.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, bar side said:

The canopies are inline, it's just that nothing else is!  The Zvezda kits are the only ones that get this right.

40499722195_95c1479324_b.jpgHind 2 1/2 degree fuselage lean by James Thomas, on Flickr

Great to see you starting on this Johnny.  Lovely desk aswel, I'm starting to get desk envy on this site!

Personally I think that this is a superb kit, accurate and well thought out and at a brilliant price. To my mind detail can be added for more easily than accuracy.

I've got a couple in the stash, but the one thing I do want to add is a nice cockpit, which is beyond my scratch building skills.  I have the Pavla cockpit which was designed for the Monogram kit so I'm hoping to make it fit, but just heard on Rumormonger that Resit might be making a set.

Anyhow, looking forward to the Spadgent treatment on the mighty Mil!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

I have the Revell 1/72 version in my stash, couldn't get into the drive to build it, this might start me up. And of course @CedB's RFI of the thing, which tells me I really should go for the czech version. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello Spad !!

Me ?? Yelling at you for that ??:cheers:

Certainly not my friend, the multibuild project is inoculated now...

I'm just like the Komodo's Dragon...:evil_laugh:

Waiting this time where all the MiL bits are dispatched or drying and where you'll think "Sooo, what to do right now ??"  :evil_laugh:

Great choice Man, Still front row, at the bar, I'm going to seat beside Brandy and start sipping one... :rofl2:

If you have a look at the big yellow H, there are Reeeaaaallly sexy decal sheet !! And :evil_laugh: SHARKMOUTH !!

Go on young man !! Beer at the ready and where did I let my cheese cubes ???

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Brandy said:

Ooh, in at the front! 

Peanuts and beer ordered!

Ian

Wonderful welcome aboard. 🤩

4 hours ago, bar side said:

So what are we going to have then?  Afghan scheme, working powered rotors?  Lights?  It’s big enough to hide anything inside I am sure.

Mi-24-Offset.jpg

welcome aboard. 🙌
No gimmicks just a lovely representation  I hope. There is a lean for sure. 🙌 great pic.

4 hours ago, roginoz said:

Ooooh Nice !!

Looking forward to following this build !

I've got Zvesda's ginormous Mi-26 leering at me from halfway down the stash, so your build will provide me with some ideas which I'll [unashamedly] purloin.

Good to find myself in the front row for a change, instead of peering over a lot of big heads........

Go, Johnny, Go !!

Rog

Thanks. Great to have you around.

purloin away. I’m happy to help. I’m looking for builds of this but there aren’t many so I’ll be winging it. 

4 hours ago, Hamden said:

I'll follow along to if I may?

Always learn a lot from your builds

Stay safe       Roger

More than welcome Roger. 🤗

3 hours ago, CedB said:

I'm in Jont :) 

I built the Revell 1/72 version a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. Hope you enjoy this one too.

Nice to have you around s always. I followed your build. I think I’ll be using it for reference. 🙌

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Me too, don't build helicopters but like watching 'em being built.

John

PS I should ask @bar side if you can borrow the 1/1 version in his back garden for reference.

Great to have you along for the build. I hope it scratches an itch for you. 😄

2 hours ago, giemme said:

This is going to be fun! I'm in, Johnny! :popcorn:  :beer:

Ciao 

Sure is. Great to see you here Giorgio. 👍😀

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

The canopies are inline, it's just that nothing else is!  The Zvezda kits are the only ones that get this right.

40499722195_95c1479324_b.jpgHind 2 1/2 degree fuselage lean by James Thomas, on Flickr

Great to see you starting on this Johnny.  Lovely desk aswel, I'm starting to get desk envy on this site!

Personally I think that this is a superb kit, accurate and well thought out and at a brilliant price. To my mind detail can be added for more easily than accuracy.

I've got a couple in the stash, but the one thing I do want to add is a nice cockpit, which is beyond my scratch building skills.  I have the Pavla cockpit which was designed for the Monogram kit so I'm hoping to make it fit, but just heard on Rumormonger that Resit might be making a set.

Anyhow, looking forward to the Spadgent treatment on the mighty Mil!

Thanks. Glad you’re following along. The office is one of the things that made me twitch about this but hopefully I can do it justice. 🤞🤞🤞

1 hour ago, Johnny Tip said:

I have the Revell 1/72 version in my stash, couldn't get into the drive to build it, this might start me up. And of course @CedB's RFI of the thing, which tells me I really should go for the czech version. 

Great to have you around. Hopefully this will get your mojo up to crack open that box. 😇🤗🥳

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Spad !!

Me ?? Yelling at you for that ??:cheers:

Certainly not my friend, the multibuild project is inoculated now...

I'm just like the Komodo's Dragon...:evil_laugh:

Waiting this time where all the MiL bits are dispatched or drying and where you'll think "Sooo, what to do right now ??"  :evil_laugh:

Great choice Man, Still front row, at the bar, I'm going to seat beside Brandy and start sipping one... :rofl2:

If you have a look at the big yellow H, there are Reeeaaaallly sexy decal sheet !! And :evil_laugh: SHARKMOUTH !!

Go on young man !! Beer at the ready and where did I let my cheese cubes ???

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks Alain glad to have you around. A shark mouth you say. 🤤 don’t tempt me. 🦈

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Chores around the house done.🥳 It’s great to have bunch of you lot around already and not a glimpse of plastic.

Let’s carry on shall we. 🤩🚁

The instructions look pretty comprehensive.

50579161262_20db796b88_b.jpg

And the plastic itself looks fine crisp and pretty well detailed.

internal and under bits.

50578295658_3ef67894db_b.jpg 50579024941_50355b55f3_b.jpg

The fuselage halves.

50579161272_66869d77ef_b.jpg

Weapons .

50579161307_ab2cdac30a_b.jpg

Rotors.

50578296358_6f3444e50e_b.jpg

Clear parts and decals.

50579162037_4b5a961837_b.jpg

That is about it in the box.  Good innit. 🤩🤩❤️❤️❤️
There seemed to be a lot of aftermarket additions that you can buy to make her better.  @Mike did a very comprehensive review of the Eduard  upgrade set. To buy the BIG ED set would have cost me more than the kit itself and then some. @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies also shared the 3D decals for the cockpit that looked great too. I found at least another two or three sets of internal and external upgrade parts. Choices had to be made. Scratch building was always going to be on my mind too. 🧐

I decided to buy a good reference book.

sooooo I got this for a steal.

50578295893_400c9b36cf_b.jpg

It’s a great book with lots of detailed pictures for the discerning modeller. 🧐

These in particular.

50579161892_631c64cf3b_b.jpg

made me twitch when I saw the lack of detail in the kits office.

50579161917_fa5b05ca01_b.jpg

I of course knew about this but thought I could over come this as I have done before, recently the Matchbox Venom had gone well.  Passing over the pictures I just thought about how much work I would have to do. The decals with some basic detailing might be fine but would an upgrade set be better?  The Cockpit sets looked about as good as each other and all about £20 😩 The option of the Eduard Zoom set which is just the main panels would set me back just £7 so after thinking it over I took the plunge.

50579161637_c70f6981bd_b.jpg

The other PE part that comes with the larger internal set i figured I could scratch myself. 🤞

Looking at the externals I figured I could scratch a lot of that too but the Eduard external PE set seemed a good price at just shy of £10 so I bought that too.

50579025196_10ced66554_b.jpg

This will add a great deal to the fuselage and some of the door panels.

Talking of the fuselage the retail is really good.

50579161927_3d3ddd10f4_b.jpg

Although there are none of those huge mushroom rivets.

50578296143_cf96964a17_b.jpg 50579161867_6df23af343_b.jpg

I still had some decal rivets from HGW that I had used on my lancaster build but in all honesty I didn’t rate them much. I saw some better ones online used for railroad kits but once again they were expensive. This I will endeavour to rectify myself. I have a plan. 👍🤪🥳

so all in all I’d spent about £17 on upgrade bits, not including the book which was much better than the nearly £50 of the full set. So feeling happy with myself I noticed a brassin wheel set for a fiver on the bay and couldn’t resist.

50579024886_e54195d3a0_b.jpg

I think I’m ready to make the plunge.
I might get to combine glue and plastic tonight but if not deffo tomorrow. I know almost nothing about the models I build as you will know if you have ever followed my builds before so if there is something that looks like I’m doing it wrong I probably am so please chime in. I need all the help I can get.

Can’t wait to get started.

Thanks for looking in and following along. Hope you’re all having a splendid weekend. All the best and as always friends.

Happy Modelling.

Johnny

• Like 18

Nice, Johnny you look like you have everything lined up for a great build!  The wheels are a good purchase, likewise the exterior PE. A lot of the interior PE detail on my Hind is not visible, but at least I know it's there! I added all the riveting, but recessed rather than raised as you can't really tell the difference in 1/72. I did think of getting some HGW rivets transfers but decided it was not worth it in the end. I am intrigued to see your solution to adding rivets,  and I may well steal it for the Havoc and Hokum builds I have planned. 

Echoing CedB's question above, what other panels are you opening up?

Edited by James G
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Nice AM Johnny, this is gonna be great! :) 

Those engines look nicely detailed too. Is she going to be opened up?

Thanks, they are really nice. Yes I think I’ll have them on show. 

52 minutes ago, James G said:

Nice, Johnny you look like you have everything lined up for a great build!  The wheels are a good purchase, likewise the exterior PE. A lot of the interior PE detail on my Hind is not visible, but at least I know it's there! I added all the riveting, but recessed rather than raised as you can't really tell the difference in 1/72. I did think of getting some HGW rivets transfers but decided it was not worth it in the end. I am intrigued to see your solution to adding rivets,  and I may well steal it for the Havoc and Hokum builds I have planned. 

Echoing CedB's question above, what other panels are you opening up?

Thanks , I’m using your build as a guide too so a bit cyclic. 🤩 I’ll be making a lot up as I go along but I’ll have the engines opened up. 😍 there are two ways to build the kit but I want a bit of both so I’ll see how it goes.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Thanks, they are really nice. Yes I think I’ll have them on show. 

Thanks , I’m using your build as a guide too so a bit cyclic. 🤩 I’ll be making a lot up as I go along but I’ll have the engines opened up. 😍 there are two ways to build the kit but I want a bit of both so I’ll see how it goes.

The offer of the Aces High book is still there... in my opinion it has the best shots of Hind opened panels and 'internals'

Quick question to anyone who might know. I was going to build the version with the exhaust coolers. But looking at the kit, opening up the panel behind the exhaust would be impossible with those in place. Does anyone know if this can be done? 

Johnny questions. 🤔

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bar side said:

Maybe the ultimate aftermarket Hind accessory - 1/48 scale cabin fan!

https://asquaredaftermarket.wordpress.com/asq48020/

Ha! Thanks. Yes I was going to scratch one of those. 🤣

25 minutes ago, giemme said:

Ooooh, a full set of goodies! :tasty:

Did I mention this is going to be fun? :winkgrin:

Ciao 

Not quite a full set but I know what you mean. 😇😇😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Quick question to anyone who might know. I was going to build the version with the exhaust coolers. But looking at the kit, opening up the panel behind the exhaust would be impossible with those in place. Does anyone know if this can be done? 

Sure thing, Johnny!

An exhaust mixer unit is hinged and opens along with its corresponding door:

spacer.png

Notice the unlinked rods on the top of the unit:

spacer.png

So, I have this kit in the stash and watching with an interest! 🍿

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Ohoooo !! Look at that huge amount of goodies !!

That's what I call a promising thread !!

Crisp will surely be glad to see one more chopper in the making !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like you’ve got all the gear, looking forward to seeing this go together - have you considered these panels though, they look amazing, if 💰
Good luck with the build! 

https://northstarmodels.ecwid.com/Quinta-studio-1-48-Mi-24V-3D-interior-panels-Zvezda-kit-QD48026-p192875125 

• Thanks 2