Meatbox! Gloster Meteor NF.12 - 264Sqn RAF

Wez

This will be my entry to this GB, Special Hobby's lovely kit of the Meteor NF.12...

The Kit

Intro 2

...I usually try and do something different than what's in the box, the kit provides markings for 25, 46 and 64 Sqns RAF, unfortunately the 25 Sqn markings are incorrect as Special Hobby show the bars as being silver and blue, not silver and black which is correct.  For this build I'll be building a 264 Sqn jet stationed at RAF Middleton St George in 1957, these markings will come from Modeldecal sheet 93 and are the yellow and black bars...

The stickers

Intro 3

...I've also got the Peewit mask for the multi panelled canopy although I have heard rumours about their lack of tenacity so they may just end up as templates for normal tape.  What's not shown here is the Aerocraft clear resin, open canopy as seen in this link, the kit has a very good interior and it would be a shame not to show it off!

I've got quite a lot of references for the Meteor, the aircraft sits squarely in my preferred era of subject so I've accumulated quite a few references on the type...

References

Intro 4 Intro 6 Intro 5

I've got quite a lot going on in the Heller Classic GB at the moment so I won't be getting around to this one any time soon.

• Like 5

Welcome to the GB Wez :)Good to see another nightfighter type getting some attention and those old Modeldecals finding a use. You certainly look to be well equiped for this project.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, mackem01 said:

Plenty of reference material there - you have a thing for the Meatbox then😉

I too was considering the recent Sword offering.

Yes I do and I don't know why, not a particularly great aircraft, killed lots of pilots due to asymmetric handling when it lost an engine, cockpit like an ergonomic slum (Bill Waterton's words), yet I find myself strangely drawn to it. It's the colour schemes and the anachronistic nature of the beast I guess.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Wez said:

Yes I do and I don't know why, not a particularly great aircraft, killed lots of pilots due to asymmetric handling when it lost an engine, cockpit like an ergonomic slum (Bill Waterton's words), yet I find myself strangely drawn to it. It's the colour schemes and the anachronistic nature of the beast I guess.

Sounds as if you need a few more kits to get good value from that Modeldecal sheet Wez ;) 

3 minutes ago, Col. said:

Sounds as if you need a few more kits to get good value from that Modeldecal sheet Wez ;) 

Ha,

I've got another NF.12 and two NF.11's in the NATO users series, plenty to be going on with.  Looking forward to the NF.14 being released.

• Like 1

• Wez changed the title to Meatbox! Gloster Meteor NF.12 - 264Sqn RAF