Ki 45 Nick interior colours

torqueofthedevil

Good morning all, 

I am starting the Nichimo 1/48 kit which has been in the stash for many years. The instructions are almost entirely in Japanese, and I can make out no clues as to the colours required for the cockpit and undercarriage bays. Please could someone give me a steer? 

Hi mate,

The Zoukei-mura kit (which seems to be very thoroughly researched) recommends Vallejo 70880 Khaki Grey (Vallejo Model Colour 113) or Mister Color C55 Khaki for the cockpit and wheelbay interiors. Unfortunately they don't give corresponding matches for any other brands so if you don't use those you'll need to work out your own equivalents - not sure where you are based but it could be worth getting a bottle of the Vallejo or Mr Colour paint and match it with you own preferred brand. For what it's worth, from the instructions and the pictures in the Zoukei-mura Concept Note book which contains colour pictures of the surviving fuselage in the Smithsonian Museum it's not that sort of pale sandy brown that you sometimes see used in Ki-61 interiors, it's darker and with a more pronounced greenish tinge to it.

Cheers,

Stew

• Thanks 1

Early Nicks (Ko, Otsu) presumably had blue-grey interiors, the later ones (Hei, Tei - like the Nichimo kit) used "yellow-green", which is actually the greenish Khaki described by @Stew Dapple above.

A good reference is Nick Millman's website. Here is an article on JAAF interiors: http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2009/11/useful-colours-army-interiors-part-two.html

Cheers, Michael

• Thanks 2

Thank you both, very useful information! Much appreciated! 

1 hour ago, Toryu said:

Early Nicks (Ko, Otsu) presumably had blue-grey interiors, the later ones (Hei, Tei - like the Nichimo kit) used "yellow-green", which is actually the greenish Khaki described by @Stew Dapple above.

A good reference is Nick Millman's website. Here is an article on JAAF interiors: http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2009/11/useful-colours-army-interiors-part-two.html

If you like you can refer to my WIP of the Nichimo Ki-45 here.

Cheers, Michael

Stunning build, sets the bar very high! 

I would go for ZM's advices. Sometimes Hasegawa's mixtures drive me crazy.for example; %30 H4 + +60 H58 +  %10 H62..

All those feels like a witch making magic; ' 3 pinch of bat wing dust , 1 drop chicken blood,2 pieces rotten garlic...  :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The nearest color is somewhere  RAL 7027 or 7028.

https://mrpaint.sk/farby/bojova-technika/ German ?product_id=295

notranja-barva-kawasaki-ral-7028-mrp-37-

tonj-notranja-barva-in-zunanja-zelena.jp

The stents of other manufacturers are just variations.... New Japanese colors in the preparation of the manufacturer's MRP will have this color.

P.k

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Toryu said:

Cheers, Michael

Agree with the others -- fine model! Any chance you could share what paint(s) you used for the interiors?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Seawinder said:

Any chance you could share what paint(s) you used for the interiors?

I used a Revell enamel that's not available anymore, and I don't have the rest of a tin left to say. Looking at the Revell colour chart it would be or come close to 'Olive Brown'.

Mr. Millman's work is always amazing; his site is my first stop for any research into WW2 Japanese aviation. As luck would have it, there is currently a build of the ZM Nick on his front page (scroll down a bit) with some good photos and notes for the interior colors:

Http://www.aviationofjapan.com

A great supplement to the ZM kit, is their accompanying "Concept Notes" book, which comprehensively covers the interior of the un-restored Nick fuselage at the Smithsonian Institution, with good color photos. Bargain price, too:

https://volksusastore.com/webstores/scale/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=10770

These two images are from the "Maru Mechanic" issue on the Ki-45. This paperback monograph series was originally published in the late 80's and early 90's - but is still astonishingly good (and later re-published as hardbacks named "Mechanic of World Aircraft" BTW).

You can't get too "scientific" in analyzing a painting like this, but the colors are in the same neighborhood as the other sources being discussed.

0352-F8-F0-79-C9-4-AF8-B742-1948-BB366-E

8526457-D-73-FE-4-C71-B0-FD-6830618-EA32

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1