Revell 1/144 Saturn V vs. Airfix Saturn V?

Michael Morris

The Revell 1/144 scale Saturn V consistently sells for £10 less than Airfix's offering.  Is the Airfix kit better?  If so, how is it better?  What are the strengths and weaknesses of each kit?

The Airfix kit has an accurate Block II Service Module, with the correct proportions - Revell's is much too narrow. Also, if you're displaying the stages separately the J-2 engines on the second stage are far better on the Airfix kit - on the Revell one the engine bells don't exist above the heat shield.

I'm probably going to use the thrust structures from Martin's Models for the SII and SIVb stages along with their battered F1 engines and SLA and CSM. I'm going to use the decals from NewWare.  

So, what I'm really after is which kit gives the best rendition of the outside of the main rocket stages?

I can highly recommend Martin's thrust structures (ooh, er, Matron) so if you're using those and the CSM the Revell problem goes away.

Airfix's S-II has a lot of stuff on the exterior that didn't exist (rows of teardrop shapes, for instance). Also the forward tank dome on that stage is much too low down. Plus Revell's S-II/S-IVB interstage is a separate part.

6 hours ago, GordonD said:

Airfix's S-II has a lot of stuff on the exterior that didn't exist (rows of teardrop shapes, for instance). 

I spent ages removing the teardrop shaped bulges and the non-existant panel lines from the second stage of my Airfix Skylab kit.

I'd go with the Airfix one purely because of the accurate Lunar Module Adapter, Service Module and Boost Protect Cover.

I built one a few years ago and it's one of my favourite models in my collection - 

spacer.png

• Like 6