1/35 Tamiya M551 Sheridan

Ad-4N

This is the Tamiya 1/35 M551 Sheridan.  I used the Echelon Decals COLD WAR M551 & M551A1 SHERIDANS sheet depicting a Sheridan fielded by 2 ACR featuring the MASSTER camouflage scheme used in Germany during the early 1970s.  It is a short-lived scheme I have always wanted to model.  

I fully admit I am not much of a figure painter.  I did alter the figure by giving him long sleeves (fashioned from Apoxy Sculpt) as would been seen in Germany as opposed to the short sleeves depicted in the kit for Vietnam.  

Stowage is from the Legend M113 Vietnam Stowage set which I figured would have been appropriate for early 1970s Germany.  

5cXZBlt.jpg

uj8Wytk.jpg

5Zues1Z.jpg

sD4Xqyk.jpg

iuQ8IRQ.jpg

tvHM2Wj.jpg

Q2rXErA.jpg

y1Bv832.jpg

oAKwf5M.jpg

MDEGpJC.jpg

Y0Hoh4x.jpg

FqY5XiX.jpg

zvLiXLm.jpg

09Cffmo.jpg

jQRNKt7.jpg

hISczKZ.jpg

vX3HxLr.jpg

c9vHYFO.jpg

WabJmV9.jpg

C4Y8KSg.jpg

qwaXgmH.jpg

63698ZU.jpg

L6YPMOC.jpg

j6dzUPA.jpg

Edited by Ad-4N
pictures
  • Like 40
  • Thanks 1

Great work!

Paintwork and weathering is excellent, plenty of well done stowage what's not to like!

Great photography too, almost looks like the real thing.

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Great work!

Paintwork and weathering is excellent, plenty of well done stowage what's not to like!

Great photography too, almost looks like the real thing.

Atb

Darryl 

Seconded! Very impressive 👍

Vytautas

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.

I have only built four 1/35 military/AFV models so I am in awe when I see the masterpieces here in the RFI section.  

So far I have only built an Italeri Australian Army Leopard AS1 conversion, an AFV Club British Army Centurion and a Tamiya Gama Goat from my first unit, nearly 40 years ago, 1st Battalion, 67th Air Defense Artillery, Ft. Lewis, Washington.  

Glad everyone liked the boots.  They’re in the Legend M113 stowage set which is great for early 1970s US modeling.  

I once saw another model using the boots, but they were hung from a rear M60 tow hook.  It was a fantastic model; but I humorously questioned the boots placement on a rear tow hook.  From my experience airing out your second pair of boots would be essential, but no tanker would risk hanging his second pair of boots in such a precarious location.

I vowed to use my boots on the top of turret under the watchful eye of the TC.  🙃

• Like 1

Excellent paint job and weathering, really realistic. Out of interest, what paints did you use for the main colours?

I love the 7th Army MASSTER schemes on US AFV's of that era. I have a plan for an M60 A1, M113 and M109 in this scheme and had forgotten that M551's carried it for a while. Might have to get one for the stash! Always found it odd that the M60 A2 Starship never got painted that way as far as I'm aware.....

Terry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Excellent paint job and weathering, really realistic. Out of interest, what paints did you use for the main colours?

Terry

Terry, thanks so much for you kind comments.  The paints I used were Testor's Model Master enamel FS 30117 Brown, FS 34079 Forest Green, FS 33531 Sand and flat black.  

However, if you look at Tankograd American Special No. 3017 Maaster Merdc-Dualtex (a book I cannot recommend enough) you will find tremendous variation in the Maaster scheme.

To be honest, any rusty brown, medium green and sand combination would work.  Even on the same vehicle you will see differing shades of rusty brown, forest green and sand.   If you look at my Sheridan, you will see a few spots where I added white to Forest Green to get a lighter shade denoting some sort of touch up.

One reason I like the Maaster scheme so much, is that it doesn't look like much of it was done at depot level.  It looks like it was done by real soldiers, with the paint they had on a hand, in the motor pool on a summer afternoon in Germany.  Probably around 1500 on a Friday with dreams of a great night on the town after a hard week.  

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...