Canberra conversions, 1/48

Lord Riot

I've just acquired two Alley Cat resin conversions for the Airfix 1/48th Canberra; a T17 and TT18.

Has anyone else built a Canberra using these? How do they fit, etc, anything to watch out for? I got them for about £20 each, hoping they're worth it! The decals included look good.

• Like 1

I've built the T.17 with no issues. it all went together fine, I didn't bother with the canopy part, I know the Airfix one isn't the best, but for me the benefits from the replacement part are not worth the extra effort and potential pitfalls involved. I don't know what's involved with the TT.18 kit but I can't envisage anything that would be an issue, I asume it involves mainly the pylons and winches?  If you are thinking of colour schemes I would disregard the Grey T.17.

aaVt7x.jpg

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you John, that T17 looks amazing! I'm glad you mentioned the canopy as I was hoping not to bother cutting the fuselage up to fit that.

Did you use the tip tanks from the conversion kits or stick with the Airfix ones?

42 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

Thank you John, that T17 looks amazing! I'm glad you mentioned the canopy as I was hoping not to bother cutting the fuselage up to fit that.

Did you use the tip tanks from the conversion kits or stick with the Airfix ones?

Thanks, I built it for one of the crew that was on her last flight to Norway. I use the kit tanks with just a bit of detailing, nav light and external wiring to the light. If you need reference take a look at my T.17 album and the other albums on the site cockpit, seats and so on,  T.17 and T.17A photo album T.17 cockpit the same goes for the TT.18

John 

• Thanks 1

I've got the same conversion almost finished - it's just waiting on some BS110 Roundel Blue being finished so I can paint on the markings. The Alleycat decals are a bit too bright for my level of fussiness. I did cut the top off and use the clear resin insert. There was definitely more work involved but I'm not in a position to judge for others how that time/effort/result equation works out. Overall I did much more work on the rest of the Canberra than I did on the clear resin fuselage top, and as such the extra step doesn't particularly stand out in my mind as having been a big deal.

You'll see I went for a particular tail correction. If you want to do the same give me a shout and I'll cut you a jig - I've still got the file saved :)

resized_4f85cb70-9d70-4173-a1a5-5d6529d4

• Thanks 1

That looks excellent Jamie, if you could make a jig easily then that would be great, thanks! Absolutely no rush as I probably won't get round to starting until after Christmas!

16 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

That looks excellent Jamie, if you could make a jig easily then that would be great, thanks! Absolutely no rush as I probably won't get round to starting until after Christmas!

It takes no effort at all now - just whack a piece of plasticard into the Cricut machine and re-run the same file as before. I'll run you one off.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...