Westland Lysander 1/32 Matchbox with Eduard,Master,Montex and scratch

Woah...Yesterday was a day of crash. I tried to finish Lysander but each time I tried to do sth with it I was breaking sth. When spats disintegrated at one moment I had enough.  Today is much better. I've finished this oldie, figures and base can wait.

Let's sum it up...I've worked with Matchbox 1/32 Westland Lysander - in original Matchbox box, which is exactly the same as Revell. I bought Eduard seatbelst, Master's barrels and Montex masks. I've rebuild pilot's and observer seats. Elecrical panel was build from scratch as well as map box. I've rebuild MG-s, barrels were removed and changed for Master's ones. Panel lines were made deeper; also position lights were modified. I could's make wheels fit so I had to modify landing lights. Bomb lauynchers were scratchbuild, ones from box looked like something used to shave sheeps . Ammo boxes are left-overs from Legend set. Ammo belts are from Tamiya set.

Montex masks for cockpit are usable but usually too big or too small.  A lot of work is needed to make transparent parts fit. The worst part was windshiels-fuselage conection. I've mixed Vallejo 331 with acrylic water putty. As a resuld I've got typical RAF interior green. I've puttied seams, after it was dry, I've used white Tamiya putty to get rid of any irregularities.

I've painted Lysander with Tamiya, AK and Mr.Hobby range. As a documentation I've used 4+ Publications, Warpaint and Orange series books. In one of them I've read that checkerboards were not identical on both sides, I've assumed that one of them was turned.  As kit's bombs were looking like everything but no 20lb bombs I've decided not to mount them

Weathering is AMMO fluids and Tamiya pigments. Also I've used watercolor crayons and eveliners for chipping and dirt along with AMMO silver for deepest chips.

Wingspan of Lysander is astonishing

I'd like to thank Bruce Dickinson and Iron Maiden for making my mojo flow while listening "Book of Souls" album, especially "Empire of the Sky" track

MZL4kVG.jpg
ycEzbXO.jpg
pkEZgvu.jpg
Y7iKgN7.jpg
7sc7VUN.jpg
DZvPMiT.jpg
3RQ2Yqa.jpg
vAoEPTL.jpg
B0pjPmy.jpg
IyDghwf.jpg
mRR0uVl.jpg
lB1IhoP.jpg
nWPD0XS.jpg
0gzmX5Z.jpg
zgDCUBk.jpg

Edited by Artoor_K
  • Like 42
  • Thanks 1

On 11/8/2020 at 1:21 AM, tonyot said:

Fantastic,.... you have really brought the old Matchbox kit to life,....... looks brilliant,

Cheers

Tony

Thank you :)

On 11/8/2020 at 8:48 AM, russ c said:

Great job on that old kit, really nice work

Thanks, I think it's my oldest model.

On 11/8/2020 at 10:50 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooo this looks like a gorgeous Lizzie,  great work , you really have done a cracking job.

Chris

Thank you very much :)

On 11/8/2020 at 10:53 AM, GREG DESTEC said:

Beautiful work on the old Matchbox classic 👍

On 11/8/2020 at 12:22 PM, swralph said:

Very nice.😀

On 11/8/2020 at 2:29 PM, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Crumbs well done sir! The spar/sidewindow/wing attachment still gives me nightmares!

TT

Thanks a lot :) Well, it wasn't so bad. Wing struts and connection between them and landing gear were worst things I've met in my not so long modelling time :) Maybe only PZL Czapla in 1/72 by one polish company was more terrible :)

On 11/8/2020 at 2:43 PM, wellsprop said:

Superb!

Glad you like it :)

On 11/8/2020 at 4:26 PM, Vinnie said:

Very nice indeed.👍

On 11/8/2020 at 5:08 PM, Richard Cawsey said:

Great result. I have always thought that the Matchbox Lysander kits capture the look of the aircraft much better than other more recent and expensive offerings.

Thanks :) Maybe new kits are better detailed and have good fit. But with Matchbox Lysander you're not building it, you feel it  :) 

On 11/8/2020 at 7:24 PM, Jonners said:

That made me smile!

I really like that - what a superb result. 

Jon 

Happy to know that and thank you very much :)

Edited by Artoor_K
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Robin-42 said:

Very nice, almost makes me want to build it. Oh wait, I am currently wrestling the Matchbox Spitfire F22. I think I will leave it at almost!

Thank you :) I'm thinking about wrestling Mosquito by Revell now, same league as Spit 22:)