1/72 FL Models XP-31 Swift

Having just finished my FL Models XP-42, and hearing from some modelers about not having seen many LF Models kits, I thought I'd just throw this one out there.  I started it a couple of years ago, and ran into various challenges that caused me to shelf the build, several times.  It seemed like now was a good time to man up and finish this shelf queen, so I did.

Even though this is NOT a build thread, there were several items about the kit that I thought I would mention, for benefit of those who may later choose to build it.

1) There may have been some thinly-marked locator markings for such things as landing gear and wing struts, but if they were there, I must have obliterated them when I sanded the fuselage half joins and so on!  So, a large part of my trials with this kit were simply trying to figure out where everything wound fit together, in three dimensions!

2) The turtle-back windows were provided as tiny sheets of acetate-type material, with the quarter-glass outlines so faintly molded as to be useless, at least for me.  Much less all the travails trying to fit a flat clear piece into a fuselage hole without messing everything up.  I chose to fill the quarter=glass openings with a film of white glue, stretched across the openings to keep paint out of the interior, and then when painting was done, I carefully cut out the white glue and replaced it with Micro Krystal Klear film, which is sort of like white glue, but dries even clearer.  It is found in the model railroading section, and used for windows in buildings and the like.  It has one drawback, in that it sags slightly in the openings, instead of drying in a flat plane like glass.  You can add several layers of clear Future or whatever to build it up a bit, but I chose instead to cut apart the canopy, and slide the main portion back to the open position, in order to improve the look a bit.  As I have ranted before, it would be far easier on us modelers if the rear turtle-deck and windows were vacuformed all as one, or better yet, cast out of clear material.  Then we could add the clear part to an area that could be filled and sanded, and the the desired clear parts could be masked as needed, sort of like an old Earl Shribe car painting joke, "Hey buddy, where do you want the windows...?".

3) Most pictures of the XP-31 show it without the gun sight tube, so I left it off.

4) The horizontal stabilizer... well, stabilizers... were not furnished in the kit and were added from thin plastic rod (stretched sprue would do nicely).

5) While there WAS a PE fret for the pilot's seat and seat belts, etc., a major omission on the fret was the lack of actuators for the ailerons, flaps, trim tabs, etc.  I added the aileron tabs, as they were the most obvious, but did not add the others, because I just wanted to be done, so I took the dive...

All that being said, it is a great little kit, and looks very accurate, and I am thankful for LF for making it at all.  That being said, I recommend it only for modelers with a few vacuform and a few resin kits under their belt... along with a few shots of their favorite relaxing beverage...

Without further ado, the pics:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It was a bear to build, and would have benefited from re-scribing the panel lines a bit, but nevertheless, I am happy to add it to the collection.

Thanks for looking,

Ed

• Like 17

• 5 months later...
5 minutes ago, TheRealMrEd said:

Thanks Cookie!  Wulfman, this one was a resin kit, but so basic that probably the a vacuform kit may have been easier!

Even more respect !

Wulfman

• Like 1