JR's Book of Resurrections. Opus 1: MS 406, FROG, 1/72 - FINISHED! -

jean

Hi everybody,

this should be a quick finish. 🤣

Almost finished and ready to add decal shortly.

Here is the build thread from many moons ago:

Cheers for now.

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Hi Jean

I look forward to watching the Coda of Opus 1. I am sure that it be on a par with Berlioz - Symphonie Fantastique. :lol:

Good Luck.

John

Hi John,

Berlioz is a tall order and his Symphonie fantastique is rather brilliant. I shall try and avoid the funeral bit!

Hector was, by the way, a neighbor, as he was born some 60 km from where I was born... That is why we are on first name basis.

The Morane fantastique shall be finished with all the TLC I am capable of.

Have a good Sunday

JR

• Haha 1

Great stuff JR.

I believe I've seen this build before.

You could say its déjà vu all over again!

This 406 is certainly well travelled, I believe it only needs an entry in the Maritime section of BM to complete the set !

Best of luck.

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 3

On 11/11/2020 at 7:48 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Great stuff JR.

I believe I've seen this build before.

You could say its déjà vu all over again!

This 406 is certainly well travelled, I believe it only needs an entry in the Maritime section of BM to complete the set !

Best of luck.

Cheers Pat 

Hi Pat,

am I detecting a tad of sarcasm?

It would be deserved, I admit it freely. But the Maritime section? Never!

I'd rather see it in Sci Fi...

Worry not, this is the last time it will appear on BM.

Cheers

JR

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi Pat,

Worry not, this is the last time it will appear on BM.

Cheers

JR

Thats a shame, I was hoping we were going to see it finished :P

Great to see you continuing with this one, its already looking terrific 

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

On 11/14/2020 at 7:14 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Thats a shame, I was hoping we were going to see it finished :Pyour myriad of builds

Great to see you continuing with this one, its already looking terrific 

Cheers Pat 

Hi Pat,

just to cheer you up, I will re-re-re-start the MS 406 tomorrow. Should be ready for the decals by weekend!!!

This piece of news should stop the angst that has been torturing you.

Keep having fun with your myriad of builds.

Cheers mate.

JR

Almost on schedule!

Finished all the paint touch ups. Tomorrow evening, gloss varnish and then either decals or all the black(ish) items: exhaust pipes, radiators, etc. depending on how impatient I am!

MS 406 PHOTO 50

I have already cut the roundels, ready for decaling. 

Will hopefully finish it before month end.

Have fun!

JR

• Like 3

Hi all,

model varnished and roundels in progress.

You can see that the upper wings' roundels are still in the throws of Micro Sol (I may have overdone it a bit?)

I really like the overall result.

MS 406 PHOTO 51

I have decided to paint the exhaust stubs, radiators, etc. after the roundels.

With acrylic black paint on enamel gloss varnish, it should be a walk in the park!

Thanks for watching.

JR

• Like 3

Hi,

decals all set on the airframe and busy with the rudder tricolor.

The finish line is getting closer.

Because the kit is a 1963 Frog effort, when they were on the road to greatness, I will not try and depict a specific plane. This Morane is a salute to what plastic models were when I was (very) young, so it is a purely OOB build, without anything having been modified. It is a really nice, fun kit to build, and I am enjoying every second.

MS 406 PHOTO 52

I have shown the FROG decals and they really missed the boat. For 1963, though, they still did a great job!

And yes Pat, AKA @JOCKNEY the blue of the roundels is too dark....

Cheers all

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hi guys,

the rudder has been glued, at long last. I used decal strips for the blue and red bands. 

On the photo, I have realized the pencil marks I put for the camo are still visible in places. Not good!

So I will have to touch up these marks ever so gently with a fine brush, before the mat varnish. Never a dull moment!

MS 406 PHOTO 53

Cheers.

JR

• Like 4

4 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Congratulations JR

That looks really smart 

:partytime:

Cheers Pat 

Thanks Pat,

your compliments make me feel even worse.

After this photo was taken, I decided to repaint the dark blue grey and the kaki on the port upper wing, to erase the pencil marks. This I did, but being the impatient Frog that I am, I re-applied another coat of gloss too soon, so some of the paint went on holiday...

So now part of the left top wing looks not too hot. I knew I should have lived with these few pencil lines, as they were almost invisible in normal light. Damn!!!

Next plan: 4000 Micromesh, hoping to flatten the mess and get things back to normal.

It is almost finished and will reach the gallery whether my fix works 100% or not!

Every kit is indeed a learning exercise.

Cheers mate.

JR

PS: Got the 4000 Micromesh out and I am happy with the result. For once I believe I have stopped on time! No mean feat for me...

Edited by jean
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi all,

this little 406 is nearing the finish line.

Sod's Law though, I have to go to Harare tomorrow, so the completion will only be possible on Sunday-Monday ...

Frustrating is an understatement.

Anyway, here is one photo of the Morane.

A few paint touch ups left to do, a coat of mat varnish, and that should be all.

MS 406 PHOTO 54

Thanks for watching.

JR

• Like 3

Hi everybody,

this Morane Saulnier 406 is at long last finished!!! Pat, AKA @JOCKNEY will be relieved!

It was done entirely OOB, warts and all, with the exception of the decals: roundels were changed and I drew a grid on blank decal for the oil radiator intake at the front of the plane.

As explained before, I did not have any 406 decals and therefore decided to go for a completely anonymous airframe, which of course never existed as it should have at least some large white codes on the underwing. The camo though, is correct for one of the first 600 MS 406 built at Bouguenais, near Nantes.

The model is rather basic, especially in the depiction of the glycol radiator under the front fuselage. I did not even plug the big gap between the wheel well and the cockpit. OOB indeed.

It took a long time, but it was a really pleasurable build and a great test bed for the French paints. The dark blue grey will be changed on the next Armee de l'Air model I build. The others will remain.

Here are a couple of pictures taken inside. Outside there was a noisy baboon war in progress and rain was threatening. I will take some natural light photos tomorrow.

Cheers

JR

MS 406 PHOTO 55

MS 406 PHOTO 56

MS 406 PHOTO 57

Edited by jean
  • Like 7

• jean changed the title to JR's Book of Resurrections. Opus 1: MS 406, FROG, 1/72 - FINISHED! -

Brilliant well done JR

You have done an amazing job of this 1963 vintage kit congratulations.

As you have successfully completed this one I'll have a look for a 1940/50 balsa one next complete with 2 stroke engine, can't have you getting bored now can we ! :wink:

cheers Pat

• Haha 1

That's a real charmer - lovely result.

The baboon war sounds intriguing as well! All we have here is shopping wars in the town centre - perhaps there are some similarities? 😀

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...