Revell 2021 programme and releases

Homebee

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

There was plenty of descriptions of its faults when it first appeared, but as it was fairly difficult to get hold of presumably it just didn't have the same continuous flow of comment.

The Thunder and Lightnings site says it wasn't so bad when it was going for a penny less than 15 quid - I don't know when that price applied but the same review says it came out in 2013, when it was £34.99.

He said the decal sheet was decent though.

Paul.

1 hour ago, Paul Thompson said:

The Thunder and Lightnings site says it wasn't so bad when it was going for a penny less than 15 quid - I don't know when that price applied but the same review says it came out in 2013, when it was £34.99.

The little shop in Dunfermline had it at that price, I almost bought one then he closed

1 hour ago, Dave Fleming said:

The little shop in Dunfermline had it at that price, I almost bought one then he closed

I bought some paint there, and he closed, so maybe it was my fault. Didn't see the kit or I'd have got one out of interest (and the good bits could have been parcelled out to my Frog kits if I'd decided not to built it).

Paul.

The Sea Vixen kit being discussed is the worst one for accuracy and the best one for build and surface detail - take your pick for what is the most important aspect to you as a builder.

Unfortunately we still wait for a decent 72nd Sea Vixen.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

That's a fair comment. I also suspect "the only (widely available anyway) game in town" factor might also be significant.

John.

True, and if you can get for £15 even better. It's £32 in my local shop.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Bozothenutter said:

Aren't those the Fujimi ones?

The Revell Premium Porsche 911 kits from a while back were indeed reboxed Fujimi kits (whereas the BMW 7 & 8 Series and Mercedes SEC in the same series were their own), but these 911 kits are Revell's own new tooling.  Comparing the pics of the sprues confirms that they are completely different from both the Fujimi kits, and also the old 1:24 911 Turbo ex Monogram kit that Revell recently reboxed.

Edited by Paul H
  • Thanks 1

Haven't seen this one posted yet, 1/48 ex-Accurate Miniatures SBD Dauntless available online (at least in Germany):

https://www.revell.de/en/products/modelmaking/planes/world-war-ii/sbd-5-dauntless-navyfighter.html

Haven't bought anything Revell in ages, but this one does look nice. The Dauntless is strangely underrepresented in 1/72 and 1/48 kits, at least from the Western brands.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Supersonic26 said:

Haven't seen this one posted yet, 1/48 ex-Accurate Miniatures SBD Dauntless available online (at least in Germany)

In Poland as well, so apparently deliveries of novelties have already been made.

13 hours ago, Supersonic26 said:

Haven't bought anything Revell in ages, but this one does look nice.

This is the best 1/48 Dauntless kit available. The Detail & Scale team praised the model highly:

Accurate Miniatures released their first Dauntless kit – an SBD-1 – in 1997. This became the basis of an entire family of SBD kits that were progressively released over the following ten years. Even though Accurate Miniatures is no longer in business, the molds live on. Their SBD-2 and -5 kits have been re-boxed by Italieri, Academy, and Eduard as recently as 2016.

Panel lines are crisp and accurate. The front and rear cockpits are very well detailed, amounting to a full interior. Accurate Miniatures indeed captured many of the subtleties of the SBD’s interior, including details such as the flare pistol, map table, the intricacies of the gunner’s .30-caliber turret ring, and even the hoisting cable. Shoulder harnesses and lap belts are represented as decals. For ease of painting, the tires are thoughtfully cast as single pieces, and the inboard and outboard wheel hubs are simply placed into position. The dive brakes (which can be built closed, full open, or in landing configuration with only the bottom flaps dropped) are also injection molded. The dive brake drive shafts and actuators are included and are a very nice touch. However, their installation can get complex and everything depends the position of the dive flaps. Study the instructions carefully.

The basic kit also comes with a decent replica of the Wright Cyclone engine. The clear parts include optional open and closed canopy configurations. Optional windscreens accommodate either the presence or absence of the pilot’s telescopic sight. The downward-looking window in the pilot’s floor, which seems to have been omitted by many other manufacturers in the past, is indeed accurately represented here. Underwing munitions include two 100-lb. bombs and one 1,000 lb. bomb slung on the centerline bomb yoke.

Variant-specific details, such as the changing size and configuration (and eventual absence in the -5 variant) of the carburetor air scoop atop the engine cowling appear to be properly represented in Accurate Miniatures SBD kits.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

In Poland as well, so apparently deliveries of novelties have already been made.

This is the best 1/48 Dauntless kit available. The Detail & Scale team praised the model highly:

Accurate Miniatures released their first Dauntless kit – an SBD-1 – in 1997. This became the basis of an entire family of SBD kits that were progressively released over the following ten years. Even though Accurate Miniatures is no longer in business, the molds live on. Their SBD-2 and -5 kits have been re-boxed by Italieri, Academy, and Eduard as recently as 2016.

Panel lines are crisp and accurate. The front and rear cockpits are very well detailed, amounting to a full interior. Accurate Miniatures indeed captured many of the subtleties of the SBD’s interior, including details such as the flare pistol, map table, the intricacies of the gunner’s .30-caliber turret ring, and even the hoisting cable. Shoulder harnesses and lap belts are represented as decals. For ease of painting, the tires are thoughtfully cast as single pieces, and the inboard and outboard wheel hubs are simply placed into position. The dive brakes (which can be built closed, full open, or in landing configuration with only the bottom flaps dropped) are also injection molded. The dive brake drive shafts and actuators are included and are a very nice touch. However, their installation can get complex and everything depends the position of the dive flaps. Study the instructions carefully.

The basic kit also comes with a decent replica of the Wright Cyclone engine. The clear parts include optional open and closed canopy configurations. Optional windscreens accommodate either the presence or absence of the pilot’s telescopic sight. The downward-looking window in the pilot’s floor, which seems to have been omitted by many other manufacturers in the past, is indeed accurately represented here. Underwing munitions include two 100-lb. bombs and one 1,000 lb. bomb slung on the centerline bomb yoke.

Variant-specific details, such as the changing size and configuration (and eventual absence in the -5 variant) of the carburetor air scoop atop the engine cowling appear to be properly represented in Accurate Miniatures SBD kits.

I have built the 1/48 Dauntless kit by AM and will testify that it is great - one of the best kits I've built!  I think Academy owns the molds and produce versions it from time to time.  I have also built the Hasegawa Dauntless and it is very good but not as good as the AM version.

Edited by Harold55
Clarify

4 hours ago, Harold55 said:

I think Academy owns the molds and produce versions it from time to time.

TBH I have no idea who the owner is. Accurate Miniatures kits were reboxed by Academy, Azur, Doyusha, Eduard, Hasegawa, Italeri, Revell, Special Hobby and Zvezda.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Revell's 1:24 new tool impact bumper Porsche 911 coupe is now available!

https://www.revell.de/en/products/modelmaking/cars/young-oldtimer/porsche-911-g-model-coup.html

A German language review with sprue pics & instructions shown here:

Numerous suppliers listed on scalemates:  https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-07688-porsche-911-g-model-coupe--1324089  It is on Hannants too but they are already out of stock:  https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/RV7688  However, Amazon prime currently has it for £25:34!

I'm so far resisting (as I have enough models that I am yet to build) but it does look very tempting...  Also, what I can see of the sprue shots also suggests that the very soon to be released Targa variant   https://www.revell.de/en/products/modelmaking/cars/young-oldtimer/porsche-911-g-model-targa.html may not be the only version that Revell have planned as there seem to be parts included that are not used in either of these two kits.

• Like 1

From what I hear from one vendor, Revell have circulated advice to retailers that prices are to increase again in 2022 (think from February onwards), by average of about 10% so may be good to get at the lower prices while you can!