Revell 2021 programme and releases

Homebee

Thanks to Hannants "Future Releases" here's a first - and incomplete ! - glimpse into the Revell 2021 programme.

Source: https://www.hannants.co.uk/futurereleases/

Don't forget the 1/48th SR-71 project, see thread: link

Rev.png

20110708415943074.png

201107084159129581.png

UPDATE 13/11/2020

Rv.png

UPDATE 14/11/2020

REV1.png
REV2.png
REV3.png

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Spoiler alert

I was going down the list noting as I went the scale was increasing from 1/144 through 1/72 and 1/48 to 1/32 and just under the 1/32 V1 to find listed a DH Sea Vixen. A 1/32 Sea Vixen :yahoo:I thought.  Then I saw it was 1/72 and out of order on the list  :weep:

Presumably the 1/48 Horten Ho.229 A-1 is the former Dragon kit ?    A decent enough model as long as it is substantially cheaper than than the superb Zoukei Mura one.

Its frustrating that there is no model in any scale of the Ho229v6 - with bulged underside and different engine intakes - which would have been the prototype for the production series (although no production had ben authorised by the end of the war.  Such a model would be a legitimate basis for Luft 46 colour schemes.  Not so the Revell / Dragon / Zouki Mura / Brengun  models which do not represent the A-1 but depict the three prototypes V3/V4/V5, which would have been used for initial flight trials until 10 prototypes like the V6 were available.

Dragons 1/48 nachtjager remains the only model of the two seater in any scale - both the Pioneer kit and the Zoukei Mura conversion kit are sadly fantasies.

Paul

That they've taken the trouble to mark the F-15E as a "new tooling" but not done so for any of the others does not bode well for the Sea Vixen :( 

2 hours ago, Mu17 said:

Presumably the 1/48 Horten Ho.229 A-1 is the former Dragon kit ?    A decent enough model as long as it is substantially cheaper than than the superb Zoukei Mura one.

Its frustrating that there is no model in any scale of the Ho229v6 - with bulged underside and different engine intakes - which would have been the prototype for the production series (although no production had ben authorised by the end of the war.  Such a model would be a legitimate basis for Luft 46 colour schemes.  Not so the Revell / Dragon / Zouki Mura / Brengun  models which do not represent the A-1 but depict the three prototypes V3/V4/V5, which would have been used for initial flight trials until 10 prototypes like the V6 were available.

Dragons 1/48 nachtjager remains the only model of the two seater in any scale - both the Pioneer kit and the Zoukei Mura conversion kit are sadly fantasies.

Paul

How different were the intakes to be on the V6 ?

OK...the Shuttle might be of interest.  I'm seriously considering knocking together a set of models in 1/72 for the U.S. Naval Test Pilot School.  It's fascinating (and not a little frightening) to see just how tiny a Mercury or Gemini capsule really is.

Hi Col  - at first glance the Ho.229.V6  intake look like the V2 - so the upper wing surface is smooth and the engine has no protruding fairing. The lower surface does have a small protruding fairing. From memory, the engines move about 150mm outboard.

However the changes re more significant.

The contour of the whole top surface of the centre section is the same as V3/Revell/Dragon kits except the forward engine intake lip is gone. This is achieved by changing the engine thrustline and that is done by lowering the front of the engine.  On V3 the centre of the engine lines up with the centreline of the wing leading edge - in front view.

On V6 the engine centreline is well below the wing centreline. This would have resulted  in a lot of the engine hanging out of the underside but this is avoided by making the wing section thicker but that extra thickness is applied to the underside only.

The thicker underside can be seen very clearly on Dragons two seater - why ?  because the two seater was a stretched version of the Ho.229V6 - unhelpfully Hortens drawing of the two seater is also labelled V6 but thats another story.  Unfortunately you can't just cut the nose off the two seater to create a V6 due to the geometry of the longer airfoil created by the extended nose which also changes the top surface contour very slightly. However with some extra sanding, a reasonable representation might be achieved. Note that the windscreen of the canopy would look more like an Fw.190.

For drawings - treat yourself to a set from Arthur Bentley or buy the excellent book Spriit of Thuringia by Huib Ottens by Classic Publications (which contains them).

The Valiant publication on the Ho.229 is decent value for money in respect of its photo content on V1, V2 and V3 but its account of the development of the Ho.229 is woefully inaccurate and the author clearly didn't read the many reference books he lists in the appendix !

In case anyone was wondering what is wrong with Zoukei Mura's two seat conversion pack - it was produced to be an add on to their almost perfect V3 kit. A good commercial decision. In fact the two seater is a development of the V6 and V6 had a TOTALLY different steel tube centre section structure. Zoukei Mura would have had to produce an entirely new kit and commercially thats not viable. The result is that modellers have ben sold a fantasy.

The above information is from original documentation and surviving drawings.

Paul

• Thanks 2

Böööööörääääng (<-- just wanted to try out this odd German spelling, no offense intended)

I wonder why they stopped their 1/72 Spitfire series after the I/IIa and the Vb, same with the Corsair F4Us.

Also they should investigate better to avoid their errors (some were quite obvious to the knowing eye) in recent kits especially 1/72.

Just and advice for them, they will continue as they can anyways.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, occa said:

I wonder why they stopped their 1/72 Spitfire series after the I/IIa and the Vb, same with the Corsair F4

I hope we'll never see any other Spitfire kit based on their recent II and Vb, they are some of the most disappointing kits I've seen in the last few years

• Like 5

I can't even work myself up to a "Meh" for this list.   Does not reflect well on Revell's vision or marketing nous. The best one can say of it is that it provides a solid base for improvement in the rest of the year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, occa said:

Böööööörääääng (<-- just wanted to try out this odd German spelling, no offense intended)

I wonder why they stopped their 1/72 Spitfire series after the I/IIa and the Vb, same with the Corsair F4Us.

Also they should investigate better to avoid their errors (some were quite obvious to the knowing eye) in recent kits especially 1/72.

Just and advice for them, they will continue as they can anyways.

If I had read the posts discussing those kits here on BM I wouldn't bother releasing them either.

Not that those posts weren't in the right of course, they were just sloppy releases.

Edited by sroubos
  • Like 1