1/24 Aoshima Mad Max 2 The Road Warrior (with Gyrocopter & Figures)

Hi all calling this all finished, the base is a cake board cut down slightly and covered in cork sheet, the dead trees are from an aquatic eBay store that's been painted with 502 oils and the sandy earth was a layer of war gaming sand and Flory pigments, all held in place with Hataka orange top semi matt clear lacquer. The interceptor car is an out of the box build, painted in Mr Hobby Color dark iron 214. This colour gave the car a nice flat sun bleached effect. I had a lot of fun building this diorama, I hope you like the final reveal guys.

ipiuzpg.jpg
GLUr5vY.jpg
yduxoYU.jpg
guDOyEp.jpg
Pl2Y7ga.jpg
Gx43ymx.jpg
OQCUNXY.jpg
w51ydox.jpg
rEf04g5.png

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 15

"A clever fella could have a weapon hidden under there.... I'd have to pin his head to the panel."

"Booby-trapped. Touch those tanks and PHEWW!"

A lovely diorama, very well built. Still one of my favorite all-time films. 

Thanks for sharing with us. 

Chris. 

• Thanks 1

There's a story about how Mel Gibson got the part of Max Rockatansky. When he turned up for his audition, his face was covered in bruises from a bar-fight the previous night. (Possibly) urban legend has it that the moment he entered the room, George Miller knew that he had the new star for his film.  

If it's true, it a cool story. 

Chris. 

PS: Did folks know that when the first Mad Max movie played in the US, the film distributor's had every actors' lines over-dubbed, using American accents? The distributors believed that the US audience wouldn't be able to understand the original, Aussie accents. I think the Crocodile Dundee movies probably disproved this theory. I remember buying the VHS home-video many moons ago and it was the "dubbed" version.  

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending some information.
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Very well done dio, one of my favorite movies, especially part 1. Where'd you find figures?

I didn't know the actor voices were over dubbed. Wonder if they do that with Canadian movies eh?

Thanks for the thumbs up,i was very lucky getting all of the elements of the dio to come together,i already had the car,then i spotted a guy in the US selling the Gyro Captain figure on Ebay,he also had Max,so i bought both off him,they where the last of a limited run,no idea who made them.

Once i had the Gyro Captain i started looking for a Gyrocopter,i ended up with the 007 Little Nellie kit,but my research found that the LN Gyro had a flat 4 two stroke engine,the Mad Max version had a VW Bettle engine,so i had to get a Tamiya kit of a 66 Beetle and rob the engine out of it,so that's how it all came together.😀👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee Chambers said:

Thanks for the thumbs up,i was very lucky getting all of the elements of the dio to come together,i already had the car,then i spotted a guy in the US selling the Gyro Captain figure on Ebay,he also had Max,so i bought both off him,they where the last of a limited run,no idea who made them.

Once i had the Gyro Captain i started looking for a Gyrocopter,i ended up with the 007 Little Nellie kit,but my research found that the LN Gyro had a flat 4 two stroke engine,the Mad Max version had a VW Bettle engine,so i had to get a Tamiya kit of a 66 Beetle and rob the engine out of it,so that's how it all came together.😀👍

The stars aligned for you, it all worked out.

Wow!  That is absolutely awesome!

Outstanding work , I reckon.

:clap2::thumbsup::clap2:

Although I've enjoyed the film many times, I'm not sure I ever noticed the pin-up on that tail of the Autogyro!

Must pay more attention next time!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ModelMonkey said:

Awesome! An iconic car from a great film, executed perfectly. I didn't know there was a model of the interceptor so it's now on my wish list!

Thanks! Best of luck finding one of these kits,they are getting rare and super expensive these days.