Meng 1/35 M4A3 Sherman

Andy J

2 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Hmm interesting you build the Sherman I'll take care of the paint job......future project maybe.....certainly would be unique 🤔

Happily build another Meng M4 just not the tracks!

Perhaps do a Zakspeed liveried Panther to go with it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Happily build another Meng M4 just not the tracks!

Perhaps do a Zakspeed liveried Panther to go with it?

Here you go mate just for you one i built a few months ago 😉

spacer.png

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

Here you go mate just for you one i built a few months ago 😉

As nice as it might be....there'll ne complaints!

Just wait till Sponge Bob & Square Pants get a sniff of it!

For a brumm-brumm it does look rather good! :whistle:  (that's for quality of modelling rather than subject!)

• Haha 1

So I have an unexpected update. My son has just seen the Sherman and remarked " you've ruined it dad that looks crap ". So with that in mind I'm going to try and salvage the turret tomorrow 🙄. I forsee two scenarios 

1. I can salvage the turret and move on........or 2. It's going in the recycling bin and that's the end of it. Watch this space 🤔

Dang... That’s a little harsh !!

Try hitting it with a little dry brushing on the high spots. Various green tones. 

If if that doesn’t work, and you’re intent on stripping it, it shouldn’t be too hard. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Longbow said:

Dang... That’s a little harsh !!

Try hitting it with a little dry brushing on the high spots. Various green tones. 

If if that doesn’t work, and you’re intent on stripping it, it shouldn’t be too hard. 

Harsh maybe Lee, but since I've been building armour I've received a lot of praise for my efforts so it's only natural to hit the odd bump in the road. I can take it mate no problem after all tomorrow's another day 🙂👍

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Andy J said:

So I have an unexpected update. My son has just seen the Sherman and remarked " you've ruined it dad that looks crap ". So with that in mind I'm going to try and salvage the turret tomorrow 🙄. I forsee two scenarios 

1. I can salvage the turret and move on........or 2. It's going in the recycling bin and that's the end of it. Watch this space 🤔

Ahahaha.... Kids and drunks don't lie Andy 😉 

Anyway, no talking about binning the thing, what's wrong with a respray? If I would have binned the kits I did a respray on I wouldn't have many finished models! 

• Like 4

It looks like the white residue hasn’t come cleanly off the turret mate, I’d have a go with a damp cotton bud to try and remove some of the areas and expose more of the OD base. It’s certainly not at the “fit for bin” stage yet that’s for sure so don’t even contemplate it. 

Everyone of my projects hits a point where I think OMG ...What have I done - you just have to push through it matey. 

What’s also not helping is the hull is untouched so the turret really stands out, you also have only done the first stage in the whole process so by the time you finish all the washes, mud and grime this will probably look stunning.

If you do decide to bin it - can I have the tracks :whistle:

• Haha 4

If you're so intent on parking on the shelf of doom why not do the hull anyway and see how it looks?

I still think it could look good and as Dan said press on with it. 

Winter whitewash finish all looked different, they are applied by the crew in a fairly haphazard manor and they'd get worn away accordingly.

Stick with it fella!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Now there's a glutton for punishment....are you atoning for something Dan?

Or just wanting prove how they should be done?:bleh:

Barking mad....

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Dads203 said:

It looks like the white residue hasn’t come cleanly off the turret mate, I’d have a go with a damp cotton bud to try and remove some of the areas and expose more of the OD base. It’s certainly not at the “fit for bin” stage yet that’s for sure so don’t even contemplate it. 

Everyone of my projects hits a point where I think OMG ...What have I done - you just have to push through it matey. 

What’s also not helping is the hull is untouched so the turret really stands out, you also have only done the first stage in the whole process so by the time you finish all the washes, mud and grime this will probably look stunning.

I'm going to re paint it Dan and re apply the whitewash a bit more subtly this time 🙂. Of course you can have the tracks mate, I'll just take them back to component form, bag up the parts and there your's 👍

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

If you're so intent on parking on the shelf of doom why not do the hull anyway and see how it looks?

I still think it could look good and as Dan said press on with it. 

Winter whitewash finish all looked different, they are applied by the crew in a fairly haphazard manor and they'd get worn away accordingly.

Stick with it fella!

Yep I'm going to give it a re paint and try again mate, just not sure when 😉👍

5 hours ago, Hamden said:

Great looking turret Andy, will look spot on when the hull has had similar treatment.

Definitely not one for the bin!

Stay safe            Roger

Thanks Roger, I'm going to re work the turret and give it another blast of whitewash just not so heavy this time and only in specific places 🙂👍

6 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Ahahaha.... Kids and drunks don't lie Andy 😉 

Anyway, no talking about binning the thing, what's wrong with a respray? If I would have binned the kits I did a respray on I wouldn't have many finished models! 

Hi Jeroen, sometimes you need someone to give it to you straight and my lad doesn't hold back 🙂👍

• Like 1

I didn't know how to post on this bit, as I didn't want to sound critical, but I think Dan said it best. You're doing the right thing in doing it again. It has to be an irretrievable disaster before it goes in the bin, or ends up as spares. It's not something that I've tried before, so I'm in no position to criticise, but I will say that, again, I agree with Dan, in that you shouldn't have shown it along with the untreated hull. Stood out like a sore thumb.

John.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

I didn't know how to post on this bit, as I didn't want to sound critical, but I think Dan said it best. You're doing the right thing in doing it again. It has to be an irretrievable disaster before it goes in the bin, or ends up as spares. It's not something that I've tried before, so I'm in no position to criticise, but I will say that, again, I agree with Dan, in that you shouldn't have shown it along with the untreated hull. Stood out like a sore thumb.

John.

Thanks for the reply John, I'm going to make sure the whole tank is complete this time as you say showing the untreated hull was a mistake. Tbh I want to apply less whitewash this time round so a re work is not a bad idea. 

• Like 1

Why not paint some yellow and blue stripes and stick some Rothmans decals on and be done with it - kill two birds with one stone...!! :whistle: 🤣

Seriously though, why not just repaint the turret in OD and leave it green - say it's as it was 5 minutes before the crew attacked it with buckets of whitewash? There would have been that moment in time.... :)

K

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Why not paint some yellow and blue stripes and stick some Rothmans decals on and be done with it - kill two birds with one stone...!! :whistle: 🤣

Seriously though, why not just repaint the turret in OD and leave it green - say it's as it was 5 minutes before the crew attacked it with buckets of whitewash? There would have been that moment in time.... :)

K

I could do that Keith but I would rather practice the whitewash for future builds. Also not achieving an acceptable finish would bug the hell out of me so it's back to the drawing board and time to prepare a new plan 😉 👍

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Longbow said:

My attempt at whitewash was a total disaster. 

But I think I'll try again soon ;)

I went to gung ho Lee just whacked it on and expected miracles........didn't quite work out.........but I'll give it another go and take my time and see what happens 🙂👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andy J said:

Hi Jeroen, sometimes you need someone to give it to you straight and my lad doesn't hold back 🙂👍

That's not entirely helpful, if i might be so bold....

Someone giving a straight response based purely on aesthetics isn't always helpful, if someone saw a wartime application of anything from whitewash to German three tone camo to invasion stripes would think they looked awful as the application could be very haphazard. Particularly as they could be applied with rags, mops, brushes or spray guns....

However it's your kit mate, there's always the Gulf Oils option....

Good luck! 🤞

• Haha 2