Meng 1/35 M4A3 Sherman

Andy J

So next up the kit below 

spacer.png

The box art is the look I'm going for and hopefully i can come up with a plan to reproduce it. The kit itself looks really good and the quality of the sprue parts is excellent with no flash to be seen anywhere. I've made a start today with the wheel assemblies which contain springs for suspension and although there's a few separate parts involved and a bit of clean up required they go together well. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not a massive amount to look at but a good few hours to fit together. The pic below shows the track sprues and there's certainly a lot of work involved in getting them put together 

spacer.png

So that's how things currently stand ,I think this may be a longer build than the Marder but I don't mind I'm enjoying myself. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Oh good grief, those tracks.... 🤪

I bought some of this for whitewash after watching a Nightshift video - it worked great for him, but I've not tried it yet

https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/product/17ml-washable-white-paint-ak-interactive-ak-751

K

I've actually got a bottle of that Keith but like you I haven't tried it yet 🙂👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

Not a massive amount to look at but a good few hours to fit together. The pic below shows the track sprues and there's certainly a lot of work involved in getting them put together 

Sorry Andy,  shouldn't laugh.....

Which wire did you get supplied with, the roll or the pins....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Sorry Andy,  shouldn't laugh.....

Which wire did you get supplied with, the roll or the pins....

There's a roll of wire with the kit and i also have some 0.5 stainless wire i purchased a while ago, actually I think you recommended going for 0.5 to tighten up the fit a little 🙂

21 minutes ago, Andy J said:

There's a roll of wire with the kit and i also have some 0.5 stainless wire i purchased a while ago, actually I think you recommended going for 0.5 to tighten up the fit a little 🙂

Sure did, I tried the supplied wire and the whole lot fell apart upon opening the jig. Still advisable to add a spot of CA to the ends if a touch loose though. 

Only asked as I've seen some kits come with pre cut pins as opposed to the roll.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jasper dog said:

Sure did, I tried the supplied wire and the while lot fell apart upon opening the jig. Still advisable to add a spot of CA to the ends if a touch loose though. 

Only asked as I've seen some kits come with pre cut pins as opposed to the roll.

I shall apply the CA where necessary mate thanks for the info 👍 

Just now, Andy J said:

I shall apply the CA where necessary mate thanks for the info 👍 

I'm sure you will, didn't mean it sound as if I was trying to teach your granny to suck eggs!

The level of detail Meng provides is quite exemplary

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

I'm sure you will, didn't mean it sound as if I was trying to teach your granny to suck eggs!

The level of detail Meng provides is quite exemplary

Darryl that was a genuine thank you mate sorry if it came across a bit flippant, when people offer advice I'm all ears 🙂👍

The quality of the kit is indeed very good and the instruction manual is pretty cool as well. Early days but I'm definitely impressed 👌 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andy J said:

Darryl that was a genuine thank you mate sorry if it came across a bit flippant, when people offer advice I'm all ears 🙂👍

Im sure it was, I'd just hate to come across as preaching or anything else untoward.

After all I realise you've probably got years of modelling experience..........

unfortunately it is with cars..:giggle:

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Jasper dog said:

Im sure it was, I'd just hate to come across as preaching or anything else untoward.

After all I realise you've probably got years of modelling experience..........

unfortunately it is with cars..:giggle:

Says the man who's itching to build a 109e wingy thing............I'm off to wash my mouth out with soap and water......🙄

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Oh good grief, those tracks.... 🤪

I bought some of this for whitewash after watching a Nightshift video - it worked great for him, but I've not tried it yet

https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/product/17ml-washable-white-paint-ak-interactive-ak-751

K

i have got the washable dust on order (well MiG Ammo version) to help me dust up and work on my mud

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Haven't seen that, shall have to have a look as it sounds interesting! 

Keith

will be using it on the M4 HST - hopefully next weekend (waiting on delivery of it)

41 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

i have got the washable dust on order (well MiG Ammo version) to help me dust up and work on my mud

7 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Haven't seen that, shall have to have a look as it sounds interesting! 

Keith

Washable dust works well, used it on a Cromwell. When first applied and "washed off" it did look as it it had driven through a river but a coat of matt varnish toned it down nicely. 

Imo great product. 

1 hour ago, Andy J said:

Says the man who's itching to build a 109e 

Think you might find it was a Bf109G not an E...

Just saying..... :whistle:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

I haven't mentioned the duck bill's to him yet..🤫

I need some of those for the Bronco Tasca Firefly in the stash. But I think I'll build it as it was the day before they were fitted....!! 🤣

K

Edit - early Sunday morning brainfade over the kit manufacturer!

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I need some of those for the Bronco Firefly in the stash. But I think I'll build it as it was the day before they were fitted....!! 🤣

K

No guarantees mine with get them either.... they did appear to break off after all...😉

• Like 1

'Morning Andy. Three things. The first one is to spoil your day. I don't know how far you want to go with this, but those road wheels have rivets all the way around the rims.

3610da5d-4941-4864-8148-637ea2280435.jpg

Second, if you are going with the kit's tracks, another method is to use pins, as used by entomologists (I think that's the right word). They're for pinning moths and butterflies. I read an article once where someone used these, and he thought that they were a vast improvement over wire. mainly because they were straight. You just clip the ends off. The added bonus is the the pin heads act as the retaining nuts. You can get them online in different sizes.

Third. If you don't fancy the kit's tracks, Panda Plastics make excellent Sherman tracks in plastic, and are a doddle to assemble. They also do duckbills.

HTHs.

John.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

I don't know how far you want to go with this, but those road wheels have rivets all the way around the rims.

:drunk::shocked:

I can barely see those in the picture John, do you really add them in 1/35th? (you must have more patience than a saint if you do!)

Keith 

9 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I can barely see those in the picture John, do you really add them in 1/35th? (you must have more patience than a saint if you do!)

Personally, no, but I've seen a couple of builds, over on Missing Lynx where the builder did add them. I think they total 144 in all, and that's just if you only do the front of each wheel!  sufficient amount of dust and dirt would hide them anyway. I believe though, that at least one of the AM people who do replacement wheels in resin, do include them. But as I said, it depends on how far that you want to go.

• Like 1