Tamiya Jagdpanther

My second build in this GB is the Tamiya 1/35 Jagdpanther.

I am fascinated by how things evolve over time.  My first build is a relatively early Panther so I thought an ideal companion would be a late Jagdpanther.

This will be built pretty much OOB.

spacer.png

Lets look at the sprues.  They are pretty much as one would expect from a modern Tamiya kit.

spacer.png

I assume this sprue is from the Panther G kit which was issued around the same time.   That mantlet is definitely not needed on thos one!  :D 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

In the interests of full transparency, I would like to make a statement.  

I have a bad habit of cracking on with a kit and not documenting the build in a timely manner.  Then when I do get around to documenting it it seems like it has been almost completed in a couple of hours.

This may or may not be one of those occasions...  :wall:  

While the build is actually quick and painfree, I must point out that it has been in progress since the start of the GB. 

First step was to build the lower hull.  As usual I have added some ballast which is not strictly necessary.

spacer.png

The hull interior has some rudimentary detail.  With a little bit of extra detailing, this would look excellent through the open rear hatch.

This photo shows why the dispensed with a turret.  The 88mm Pak 43 cannon is huge!  Fit that into the Panther turret and the breech would project out of the turret escape hatch.  I know that for certain as I tried it with my concurrent panther build.  :lol:  

spacer.png

Main assembly proceeds quickly and easily.  When I eventually got around to it, detailing the upper hull took me about 90 happy minutes.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 11

Primed with my usual grey auto primer from a rattle can...

spacer.png

... and then sprayed overall with Tamiya XF-88 Dunkelgelb.

spacer.png

The camouflage was then sprayed freehand with Tamiya XF-89 and XF-90.

spacer.png

tha camo isn't perhaps quite as tight as it could be, but I like the look so I'm not going to mess around with it too much. 

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

tha camo isn't perhaps quite as tight as it could be, but I like the look so I'm not going to mess around with it too much. 

By that stage of the war they didn't alway’s have time to be neat. It looks as if it was freehanded by a worker at the factory or in the field. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

By that stage of the war they didn't alway’s have time to be neat. It looks as if it was freehanded by a worker at the factory or in the field. 

Exactly the look I was going for!  :lol:  

• Like 1

That's progressing well, I know what you mean about building quickly and forgetting to take photos, I'm still not used to recording my progress.  The 88mm PAK 43 fitted to the JagdPanther was the same gun that was fitted to the King Tiger so that's how big the turret would have needed to be.  You have a different approach, not fitting the air intakes or their mesh before priming and painting. :winkgrin: 

18 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

You have a different approach, not fitting the air intakes or their mesh before priming and painting. :winkgrin: 

I'm looking to paint them later on in situ tacked in place with blutak.   Then I can paint the interior section and add them properly afterwards.

At least that's the plan!  :) 

• Like 1

That's a good looking Jadgpanther Enzo :D

I'm building one at the moment too, but mine looks like it's on it tip-toes after I made a right error with attaching the wheel suspension arms.
For some reason I thought the alignment pins of the hull where stoppers for the arms so mine all sit below those pegs rather than over them :doh:

• Sad 3

5 hours ago, AaronKSJ said:

That's a good looking Jadgpanther Enzo :D

I'm building one at the moment too, but mine looks like it's on it tip-toes after I made a right error with attaching the wheel suspension arms.
For some reason I thought the alignment pins of the hull where stoppers for the arms so mine all sit below those pegs rather than over them :doh:

Cant you remove them, and re-pin them with some brass rod, or some such ?

On 10/11/2020 at 22:55, Longbow said:

Cant you remove them, and re-pin them with some brass rod, or some such ?

I'm part way through weathering it at the moment, and you're right I could.... But I'm lazy and happy to write it off a rookie mistake. 
I only realised when attaching the arms to the Panther I've started and the penny finally dropped!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AaronKSJ said:

I'm part way through weathering it at the moment, and you're right I could.... But I'm lazy and happy to write it off a rookie mistake.

You'll know about the pitfalls next time you build a Jagdpanther.   There is still plenty of time in this STGB for another...   :wicked:  

• 2 weeks later...

The next step was to paint the road wheels.  I think I went a little over the top here.  Some of the wheels have their inteior surfaces painted, which would never have happened in real life.  I don't think they will be visible on the completed model so I'm not particularly worried.  

spacer.png

Running gear fitted.

spacer.png

• Like 4

And now we come to the big problem with this kit - the tracks.

The tracks are the usual Tamiya fare.  They respond well to superglue and hold primer and paint well.  Unfortunately they are too short. 

spacer.png

By my reckoning they are at least four links short.  As they stand they are not even long enough to comfortably fit over the drive sprocket and idler.  While attempting to fit them, I broke the axle for one of the drive sprockets.  :sad:    I have a cunning plan to solve the problem though.

However, it does mean that future Jagdpanthers will need to use Accurate Armout resin tracks.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

And now we come to the big problem with this kit - the tracks.

The tracks are the usual Tamiya fare.  They respond well to superglue and hold primer and paint well.  Unfortunately they are too short. 

By my reckoning they are at least four links short.  As they stand they are not even long enough to comfortably fit over the drive sprocket and idler.  While attempting to fit them, I broke the axle for one of the drive sprockets.  :sad:    I have a cunning plan to solve the problem though.

However, it does mean that future Jagdpanthers will need to use Accurate Armout resin tracks.

Haven't tried it on Panther ones but Tamiya rubber bands will stretch with assistance of a kettle of boiling water. Did it on a Stug, hold the track over the steam, moving back and forwards to cover the full length and very gently stretch. If you go to far they will break but a little black cotton or similar will repair and can be hidden. 

Might work in a tub of very hot water, haven't tried.

Jagdpanther looking really too btw, nice freehand paintwork. 

Cheers 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I cut the tracks at the joint and superglued them to the wheels, hiding the missing links behind sections of schurzen.

After that it was a case of weathering, adding details and crew.  The commander is from the kit.  The loader is from a Tamiya tank crew set, using the figure that is sat in a very awkward manner.  The awkward bits are thankfully hidden.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And posed with my other build in the STGB.

spacer.png

• Like 6

On 1/17/2021 at 2:23 AM, Enzo Matrix said:

I cut the tracks at the joint and superglued them to the wheels, hiding the missing links behind sections of schurzen.

After that it was a case of weathering, adding details and crew.  The commander is from the kit.  The loader is from a Tamiya tank crew set, using the figure that is sat in a very awkward manner.  The awkward bits are thankfully hidden.

spacer.png

And posed with my other build in the STGB.

Nice! Just want to confirm if the schurzen skirts are AM/photo-etch. I am quite sure Tamiya only included the 1 piece plastic skirts. 

9 hours ago, Sarawakia said:

Nice! Just want to confirm if the schurzen skirts are AM/photo-etch. I am quite sure Tamiya only included the 1 piece plastic skirts. 

They are the Tamiya ones.  I chopped 'em down and twisted 'em a bit.