Hendie takes the hump: 28 Sqn Camel.

hendie

Seconded! They look great to me :) 

No printer? Easily resolved… I'm really happy with my £30 Canon MG3600 inkjet (must have been an end of line) - just get the best resolution you can, some white and clear decal paper and you'll be waiting no longer!

• Like 1

On 2/1/2021 at 2:09 AM, giemme said:

There's always one, hurry up and go get it :D 

Awesome stickering, BTW :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio

On 2/1/2021 at 3:14 AM, CedB said:

Seconded! They look great to me :) 

No printer? Easily resolved… I'm really happy with my £30 Canon MG3600 inkjet (must have been an end of line) - just get the best resolution you can, some white and clear decal paper and you'll be waiting no longer!

Thanks Ced.

I know inkjets are cheap but the last two I've had, I've had to throw away because the inkheads dried up through lack of use.  If anything I was going to  buy a laser printer - but the reviews are so mixed.

Meanwhile, back in the basement

The transfers were given a gloss coat, followed by a semi-matt coat.  See that carrier film there?

P2070003.jpg

Nope, neither can I.   To be honest I was betwixt and between about gloss coating at all, cos even the bare nekkid decals didn't show any carrier film unless you looked really really hard.  

Bedlam Creations did the custom decals if anyone else in the US, or the UK for that matter is looking for custom decals. Great to deal with, and nice work.

After my last rigging debacle, I followed Ian's advice and started with the cabane struts. Tow had broken off with my clumsy handling over the last few weeks so they were glued back on using the transparent template thingamabob. Simple really.

Slightly more awkward to fit was the rigging between the two front cabane struts - I forego the nylon line and went with EZ-Line for this one. Oh what fun was had trying to force the floppy EZ-Line into the two small holes on the end of my cocktail stick bullet, but it didn't turn out too shabby at all.  The bullet even faces the right way.

P2070005.jpg

At that point there was no option but to glue the top wing in place.  I took the easy route again and turned the wing upside down and placed the fuselage onto it, one cabane side at a time.

Hairy wings!

P2070007.jpg

The thing about these biplane thingies is that they get more difficult with each successive operation. After the main (top) wing was on, I managed to squeeze in some struts - without breaking the wing off again so that was good.

I even remembered to face the struts out the right way so the Sopwith logo was visible on each strut.

P2070008.jpg

Now it was down to serious business. Tying the rigging up without pulling the wings askew like I did before with the F2b.  I started with the outboard "X" rigging, then started to move inwards.

P2070009.jpg

For the most part, the rigging wasn't too bad at all. It certainly helped having the cabane struts in place first

P2070010.jpg

Almost done, probably two or three hours later.  I only had two bad ones that had to be pulled out and reworked.

P2070011.jpg

By far the worst rigging wires were the "X" wires that go between the front and rear cabane struts, but they were eventually wrestled into place.  If I had thought ahead, I could have used EZ-Line back when I did the bullet and no-one would have been any the wiser. However, I do think the nylon line looks better

P2080024.jpg

End result - the wings are still aligned properly. Success.

P2080025.jpg

The sharp eyed will notice that in that shot above I have also started the tail rigging.  I've still a few wires to do and I'm using EZ-Line for all of them due to the fact that when handling the Camel, I am trying to pick it up by the tail region to avoid damaging any of the main rigging.

Now I just have to trim all that excess rigging wire off her bottom, patch it all back up and carry on from there. (and get a bit of Wapiti time in too)

• Like 10

Scary.

And very brilliant Alan, I would have run and hid from all those wires.

You?

Easy-peasy.

It looks very 'right' there with its wires a dazzling the eye.

I'm glad I'm watching.

Specially glad I'm not doing it!👍

• Haha 2

On 2/9/2021 at 1:35 AM, heloman1 said:

Excellent work on the rigging  Alan, coming together nicely.

Colin

On 2/9/2021 at 2:55 AM, giemme said:

Decals look great, and so does the rigging! :worthy:  :clap: 

Ciao

On 2/10/2021 at 9:10 AM, CedB said:

Great rigging hendie, she's looking amazing :) 

Thanks Colin, Giorgio, Ced

On 2/10/2021 at 5:22 AM, perdu said:

Scary.

And very brilliant Alan, I would have run and hid from all those wires.

You?

Easy-peasy.

It looks very 'right' there with its wires a dazzling the eye.

I'm glad I'm watching.

Specially glad I'm not doing it!👍

Thanks Bill, the camel turned out straightforward, not so the Audax or the F2b

On 2/10/2021 at 9:00 AM, Brandy said:

Nicely done Alan. I told you it was easy!

Ian

Easy?   I remain to be convinced.

In a bit of a rush this evening so I'm going to shoot through this update.  There's not a lot to add really, the pictures should speak for themselves. (they can be a bit monosyllabic though)

Tail rigging was completed - this time using EZ line so I didn't break things when I  tried to lift the Camel

P2130001.jpg

Then the underside roundels were slapped on and the underwing rigging  finished. The undercarriage went on without too much of a struggle, and guess what? Yup, that got rigged too

P2140019.jpg

During the week these arrived.  The logos are fine for the most part but the Sopwith logo is a bit naff. It's essentially just a black blob with no discernible detail

P2130003.jpg

Like so

P2140020.jpg

With that done, I thought the Camel was to all extents and purposes finished so I took a load of shots...

P2140021.jpg

this angle is reminiscent of the shot taken with J. Foss

P2140022.jpg

P2140023.jpg

P2140024.jpg

I still can't believe I got that little bullet fairing in the right orientation - though I now espy a rigging line that's a bit loose - too late now, I'm not going back in there again

P2140026.jpg

I think my custom strut logos turned out better than the prop logos I just bought

P2140028.jpg

P2140029.jpg

P2140033.jpg

P2140034.jpg

P2140036.jpg

Then, just as I was clearing up, I came across this little blighter - see it? right in the middle?

P2140038.jpg

it's a little propeller for the strut mounted generator  :wall:

That's now been painted and will be ready to fit at the next session. So, one more photo to go and this can be called complete. 

In 3 pages?  WHAT?  Three pages?  I've never completed a build in three pages.  

oops - dinner calls

• Like 12

I've had great success tightening rigging lines using a match that's just been blown out, or an incense stick (my preference as they're longer and easier to control).

Very carefully move it closer as you move it back and forth and you'll see the line tighten.

Do it very carefully as if you get too close, you'll just burn through the line!

Have a practice first.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

I've had great success tightening rigging lines using a match that's just been blown out, or an incense stick (my preference as they're longer and easier to control).

Very carefully move it closer as you move it back and forth and you'll see the line tighten.

Do it very carefully as if you get too close, you'll just burn through the line!

Have a practice first.

Or be like me, do not see it!

;)

• Haha 4

Well I would like to say wonderful things about this. But apparently postimag is messing about again.

So, I'll confine myself to Fabulous! (Probably) I wouldn't expect anything less anyway.

And three hours later I can see that I was right. Alan, its' a belter.

And only three pages too. You'll be getting a rebate from @Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

oops, looks like I forgot to update this with the finished article.  Thanks for the reminder Pete. 

The little prop got painted

P2200001.jpg

followed by the mandatory sticking in place

P2200003.jpg

P2200004.jpg

and with that, this build can officially now be called finished.  Thanks for watching, partaking, criticizing, suggesting, observing and all the other contributions folks.

• Like 15