23 Squadron Javelin FAW 9R

FortyEighter

My entry for this GB will be an Airfix 1/48 Gloster Javelin FAW Mk9R - as flown by the CO Wing Commander A.J. Owen circa 1962

20201107_145643

I've got some Eduard etch that was being sold at the Driffield show a few years back - it was half price!  I'll certainly use the cockpit set and being black there is no need to worry about matching Eduard's colour.😀  Not sure about the wheel well and air brake etches but will decide when I look at the plastic in detail.

The only online picture I can find of this airframe (XH889) is from 1961 and has the code letter "L" - perhaps the WingCo changed it to "O" to match his surname when he took over the squadron in 1962?

Mike

• Like 8

Nice choice of subject and kit Mike. Those etched brass sets certainly offer the potential to add plenty extra detail but it's up to you whether or not you consider the work of it worth the effort for the return.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Col. said:

Nice choice of subject and kit Mike. Those etched brass sets certainly offer the potential to add plenty extra detail but it's up to you whether or not you consider the work of it worth the effort for the return.

Thanks Col, I've got a couple of build articles from old magazines which suggest that the wheel wells in particular are pretty good - but at least I've got the option of the etch route.

Hi Mike,

great choice. I have the same kit in my stash and it looks really lovely. Kudos to Airfix for kitting this machine.

Hope it's of interest but I found a great interview with an former Javelin pilot who was stationed in Singapore, giving some insight into how it was to fly and fight in the 'Flying flat iron': https://hushkit.net/2020/10/27/flying-fighting-in-the-gloster-javelin-hot-humid-in-the-flying-flat-iron-an-interview-with-an-raf-javelin-pilot/

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, At Sea said:

Oh snap!

That's the one I chose!

Mine's to be in flight and out of the box so it'll be a fun comparison. 

Guess you've got the same set of decals as me!

Haven't decided yet whether to build her armed or in long range ferry mode with all the tanks and AAR probe.  I've recently got "Gloster Javelin An Operational History" by Michael Napier; lots of info on 23 Sqn, several mentions / photos of Wg Cdr "Red" Owen and also some photos of XH889.  All of the latter have code "L" on the fin, so I might go with this if I can find some suitable decals.

• Like 1

Well whichever you decide if you need any bits I don’t drop me a PM as all my wheels and legs etc will be going into the recycling pot otherwise. 

👍

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

In between trying to get other models to the finishing line, I've made a start on the Javelin and have got as far as closing up the fuselage:

20201220_145149

but have just realised that I didn't take any pictures of the cockpit before installing it - being black it's now quite hard to get a decent shot!

So far the fit has been very good with some minor attention needed to the top / bottom joints.  However something went wrong on the port exhaust as when fitted over the locating lugs, the two halves of the exhaust shroud (parts F2, F4) didn't line up with each other (and because of the way the tube halves are engineered it's impossible to get them out of alignment) - remedy remove a small portion of the lug for F4 and the panel lines match.

I'm certainly going to use the Eduard etch for the air brakes but still haven't decided about the wheel wells; the detail as moulded is good but the etch is finer, though fitting it requires quite a lot of the plastic to be ground away.

Mike

• Like 6

Nice start Mike. Sounds as if you're taming this one in good style.

Having seen both the kit and etched renditions of the wheel well detail I'm not convinced the work justifies the result but you'll know in your own mind what is worthwhile.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 10:18 AM, Col. said:

Nice start Mike. Sounds as if you're taming this one in good style.

Having seen both the kit and etched renditions of the wheel well detail I'm not convinced the work justifies the result but you'll know in your own mind what is worthwhile.

I'm not sure either but will need to make a decision sometime next week - the etch of course does have finer detail than the mouldings but how much will be seen is another matter.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of update photos:

20210112_181757

I've needed to use a small amount of filler in a few places, especially at the base of the tailfin which was narrower than the recess that it sits in.  The intake rings will need a bit of work to match the profile of the main intake tube.  One of the four etched airbrake fences (a triple lamination fold) is just resting in place. Radome just taped in position to make sure it has enough liquid lead inside (it does)🙂

20210112_181920

And an underside view to show the main wheel wells and the nice etch for the main air brake.

Mike

• Like 4