1/48 F-106 Delta Dart

DJJunis

Hi,

super choice and an impressive kit.

Bought this kit when it came out and built about 10%. The worst fitting kit I have ever seen!!! 

I will finish it one day in Michigan ANG colors, but I am still looking for some hefty putty credits!

Good luck and enjoy!

JR

• Like 1

On 11/14/2020 at 1:45 PM, jean said:

Hi,

super choice and an impressive kit.

Bought this kit when it came out and built about 10%. The worst fitting kit I have ever seen!!! 

I will finish it one day in Michigan ANG colors, but I am still looking for some hefty putty credits!

Good luck and enjoy!

JR

Hi JR,

Well I have been through several recent Monogram builds of that era so I know what you mean. But so far so good...the cockpit is super. I will have it done this week..pictures will be then. The most tricky fit is the fuselage halves...very flimsy so it's a very tricky joint...but I got it sorted with minimal filler. The rest pieced together really well....so fingers crossed.

All the Best!

Don

• Like 3

As promised here are a few in progress pictures...this kit is a bear. You have to be careful cementing the fuselage halves.  did it a section at a time as they are very flimsy. But if you're

careful there will be minimal seam filling. You can't avoid seams at the vertical stabilizer as the fit is not good. The refueling receptacle does not fit well at all. So you have to cement it in the best position possible then fill and sand . I use CA for most of the filling but a little Tamiya putty also. The cockpit and instrument panel are very nice as well as the ejection seat. Just some very careful painting is needed. I have been warned that the landing gear legs are not handed as they should be. This puts the attachment point for the retraction arm and cylinder on the leg on the wrong side on one of the legs. Not a big deal...but why did it happen. The panel lines are very light...which is fine because the real airplane looks as smooth as glass...replacing the ones lost will be challenging though. I see this is going to be quite a challenge. Oh well on with the pictures. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Col. said:

Nice work highlight the cockpit detail. Sadly this doesn't sound like one of Monogram's better kits.

Unfortunately that is the case Col. What can you do but work your way through it.

• Like 1

I remember seeing an article on the New Jersey ANG F-106s in Aircraft Illustrated in about 1978 and being blown away by its magnificence! The Monogram F-106 is a fantastically detailed kit for its time but as is being discovered, bit of a nightmare to build. Proper modelling! 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/23/2020 at 12:46 PM, DJJunis said:

. The refueling receptacle does not fit well at all. So you have to cement it in the best position possible then fill and sand . 

spacer.png

Well at least it has got one - I had to make my own on my Hasegawa 1/72 version.

Pete

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

Made some more progress after finishing my Super Hornet. It truly is a patience tester this one. Much dry fitting, blending and filling on the air refueling receptacle . The tail pipe is also a rather ambiguous fit. It reminds me very much of the F-101 as far as fit goes. Panel lines are very light in most case on this....not as heavy as the 101. The fit of the top and bottom will be challenging as I have already done a dry fit. Oh well we will keep chugging along. 

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

All the Best!

Don

1OIYmDV.jpg

uOkmspI.jpg

kfyy1kU.jpg

MC5IsuK.jpg

HfPc7ty.jpg

MsVZHkg.jpg

VlTugFf.jpg

qx4DE0a.jpg

OO7y99f.jpg

EgROrt3.jpg

BaRk79A.jpg

hVWY8eo.jpg

6b1mX59.jpg

8XzrmbY.jpg

bCDvJ9B.jpg

vqDqu7w.jpg

iDW1YWq.jpg

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Col. said:

While the fit may be leaving a lot to be desired your results are nonetheless impressive B) 

Thank you so much Col....we're putting top to bottom today...big event...made sure I had some weight in front...just in case. 

• Like 1

All,

Unfortunately I am suspending this build due to the fact we are packing up our house to move. I was hoping to get this done prior to this but the kit fought me

until I had to stop to get the house ready and pack up my hobby room. Hopefully the completion of this life event will not take too long but definitely past the

end of the group build date.

Thanks for all the kind words and hopefully we will be a participant again in the next couple of months.

All the Best!

Don

• Sad 4

8 hours ago, Graham T said:

Good work so far.  It's odd but there are so many on here decrying the fit of this kit but I built one a few months back & I certainly don't remember it being THAT bad!

Thanks Graham ...glad you had a good experience with the kit.