Hawker P1127 - Airfix 1/72

CedB

7 minutes ago, giemme said:

Been there, done that :wall:  And not only with hand held drill, but also with an electrically operated one... OUCH! :banghead:

Ciao

Probably not the wisest thing you ever did Giorgio

Nor you Ced.

My own 'tool produced damage' evidence is available on payment of a large compensatory fee.

Oh well suit yerselves...

• Haha 4

40 minutes ago, giemme said:

Been there, done that :wall:  And not only with hand held drill, but also with an electrically operated one... OUCH! :banghead:

Ciao

Yikes! Powered pain eh? :D 

29 minutes ago, perdu said:

Probably not the wisest thing you ever did Giorgio

Nor you Ced.

My own 'tool produced damage' evidence is available on payment of a large compensatory fee.

Oh well suit yerselves...

:rofl2:

Right, that's it, the door and strut are on. Oh, and the canopy:

50675353918_b217618a39_z.jpg

The BluTak will be removed when I'm SURE the glue is dry.

If you hear a scream later…

Transfers tomorrow.

• Like 18

Plonker!

The decals look much better but the centre red dot is still not in the centre.....

I do like that liquid glass stuff though...link?

Ian

• Thanks 1

Looks great! It's amazing how much it misses the tip of its nose though. I've been playing with UV-hardening resin for little bulbs and blobs, but because of you I've just gone and spent 3.95 on "Liquid Glass Drops" as a diversion from some dull documentation...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CedB said:

It also explains why my 'want to fly' list excluded Harriers - I hate camping!

Haha, mine did too - for exactly the same reason! (I put Nimrod fairly high up because I like eating!)

I just cut my thumb on a piece of kitchen foil - it's like a worse paper cut!!

Keith

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

I just cut my thumb on a piece of kitchen foil

Yes, but did you enjoy the pie(s)?

Thanks to @ColinChipmunkfan for the Kestrel film. Cracking moustache on that Ossifer.

Interesting to see the groundcrews wearing hats while working with jets. I thought that lesson was learned on Meteors!

I vaguely remember it was all very Gerry Anderson/Eagle comic at the time. Vertical take off?, whatever next? Crikey!

• Haha 3

One of the members of the Kestrel tri-partite Squadron was ex-Luftwaffe ace Gerhard Barkhorn. He broke one of the Kestrels in a landing accident but walked away from it. After he climbed out of the wreckage he is reported to have kicked the aircraft and muttered “ three hundred and two “.

John

• Haha 10

Wow Ced! Back at warp speed. 😮 what a catch up. The scratch building on those strakes is something else. The wheel action is also exemplary .👌 shes looking wonderful, decals should sit pretty Im sure. 👏👏👏👏

Johnny

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, giemme said:

Looking great already, Ced :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) 

Your tip for the Vernier guage worked too thanks - opened the box this morning and…

50678380347_a35713966b_n.jpg

Ta dah! Still off.

14 hours ago, Brandy said:

Plonker!

The decals look much better but the centre red dot is still not in the centre.....

I do like that liquid glass stuff though...link?

Ian

Mum! He called me a rude name! :weep:

Centre red dot not in the centre? Rats, he noticed. Better print some more then (see below)

DecoArt Liquid Glass link is here. Have a Google for a local(ish) supplier to you 'cos the people I bought it from, Beebaab Crafting Supplies, got cleared out last time BM mentioned it :) 

14 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks great! It's amazing how much it misses the tip of its nose though. I've been playing with UV-hardening resin for little bulbs and blobs, but because of you I've just gone and spent 3.95 on "Liquid Glass Drops" as a diversion from some dull documentation...

Thanks Adrian :) 

Aha, you found a bottle - good stuff. I have the UV resin too but I think this is clearer, and it dries; I find my BluFixx always ends up a bit greasy.

13 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Haha, mine did too - for exactly the same reason! (I put Nimrod fairly high up because I like eating!)

I just cut my thumb on a piece of kitchen foil - it's like a worse paper cut!!

Keith

'Want to fly' lists are a moving feast eh Keith?

I had Lightning on mine (although at 6' 2" I don't think I would have fitted) until we were told that, when the Russkies came, we had three weapons; missiles, cannon and "fly your aircraft into the nearest bomber".

Yikes.

The theory was that we wouldn't get all of them so the airfield wouldn't be there to go home to. 

Sobering times. 

12 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Yes, but did you enjoy the pie(s)?

Thanks to @ColinChipmunkfan for the Kestrel film. Cracking moustache on that Ossifer.

Interesting to see the groundcrews wearing hats while working with jets. I thought that lesson was learned on Meteors!

I vaguely remember it was all very Gerry Anderson/Eagle comic at the time. Vertical take off?, whatever next? Crikey!

Oooh, pies :) 

Why no hats Pete? Did one get blown off? (Fnaar!)

10 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

One of the members of the Kestrel tri-partite Squadron was ex-Luftwaffe ace Gerhard Barkhorn. He broke one of the Kestrels in a landing accident but walked away from it. After he climbed out of the wreckage he is reported to have kicked the aircraft and muttered “ three hundred and two “.

John

Thanks John - three hundred and two? Hold on…

Ah, Wiki says "Other than Hartmann, Barkhorn is the only fighter ace to ever exceed 300 claimed victories."

Got it!

Great story, thanks :D 

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Wow Ced! Back at warp speed. 😮 what a catch up. The scratch building on those strakes is something else. The wheel action is also exemplary .👌 shes looking wonderful, decals should sit pretty Im sure. 👏👏👏👏

Johnny

Thanks Johnny, very kind of you matey :) 

Just for Ian:

50678387472_c07e3468d1.jpg

Into Inkscape, nick the image from Wikipedia's Roundel page, resize to 9.5mm, duplicate, align, print:

50678414062_024d689de9_z.jpg

Printed on white laser decal paper of course, so I'm going to have fun cutting them out.

Don't I have a tool for that?

Did you notice an outrigger in the background?

Before I went to bed last night I stuck things on (there had been wine):

50677562778_e2f5ba4470_z.jpg

Look Bill - the outriggers don't touch the bench:

50677561473_56d92278cf_z.jpg

Phew.

Close up of the nav light:

50678394167_e4674d7f9f_z.jpg

Not perfect but close enough for me.

I do need, at some point, to go over the paste again where it's too thin.

Without spoiling the overall variation.

Still hoping a varnish and wash tones it down :fingerscrossed:

• Like 11

That stuff for the lights does look good Ced, and given the size difference between the real thing and your pic, looks near enough perfect to me!

7 minutes ago, CedB said:

'Want to fly' lists are a moving feast eh Keith?

Very good, I see what you did there in respect to Nimblob! :)

8 minutes ago, CedB said:

I had Lightning on mine (although at 6' 2" I don't think I would have fitted) until we were told that, when the Russkies came, we had three weapons; missiles, cannon and "fly your aircraft into the nearest bomber".

Yikes.

Phantom was my first choice - at least I wouldn't have gone in alone....!! 🤣

K

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, CedB said:

Your tip for the Vernier guage worked too thanks - opened the box this morning and…

50678380347_a35713966b_n.jpg

Ta dah! Still off.

Glad to be helpful :) :D  Great job with the outriggers and the nav light - they look just perfect for the scale! :clap: 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Nice roundels!

Er, have you thought about refining the 'angle of nozzle' indicators similarly Ced?

Airfix were quite emphatic about theirs and modellers so rarely look to fixing them. 🤬

Good news about the wheel leg length too, I am getting very excited about mine now.

Which version to build, shall it be the one in Cosford in silver paint or should it be the one with bloated intake openings?

Lots to think about soon.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That stuff for the lights does look good Ced, and given the size difference between the real thing and your pic, looks near enough perfect to me!

Very good, I see what you did there in respect to Nimblob! :)

Phantom was my first choice - at least I wouldn't have gone in alone....!! 🤣

K

Thanks Keith, very kind :) 

Phantoms? Before 'my time'!

6 hours ago, giemme said:

Glad to be helpful :) :D  Great job with the outriggers and the nav light - they look just perfect for the scale! :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) 

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Nice roundels!

Er, have you thought about refining the 'angle of nozzle' indicators similarly Ced?

Airfix were quite emphatic about theirs and modellers so rarely look to fixing them. 🤬

Good news about the wheel leg length too, I am getting very excited about mine now.

Which version to build, shall it be the one in Cosford in silver paint or should it be the one with bloated intake openings?

Lots to think about soon.

Thanks Bill :)

Hadn't thought about the nozzle indicators Bill. Looking at the reference shots the transfers look OK, unless you mean the split lowest block?

Or the tiny, tiny numbers?

You meant the numbers didn't you?

Yes, just noticed those - very nice indeed, you could give Xtradecal a run for their money with work like that Ced!

Keith

Thanks Keith :) 

Just gathering myself to cut out the roundels. Tricky.

• Like 2

Hi Ced,

Cracking work as usual, wow the sunlight really cleaned those decals up, I must remember that for future - I have a stash of old decals going back about 50 years....just odds and ends but useful at times

Just a thought with the liquid glass for the lenses - if you had hung them up 'lens down' while drying, say by blutacking to the edge of a shelf, would the shape of the finished lens be any better?  Gravity and all that Newton stuff

All the best

Geoff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Eh? They replaced Frightnings as air defenders - have you got a time machine then?!

Get on with cutting those roundels out!

K

:D

No time machine, sadly, I was referring to my brief time as an RAF Ossifer Cadet GD/P in 1973.

Failed on the camping, of course…

27 minutes ago, Kitsticker said:

Hi Ced,

Cracking work as usual, wow the sunlight really cleaned those decals up, I must remember that for future - I have a stash of old decals going back about 50 years....just odds and ends but useful at times

Just a thought with the liquid glass for the lenses - if you had hung them up 'lens down' while drying, say by blutacking to the edge of a shelf, would the shape of the finished lens be any better?  Gravity and all that Newton stuff

All the best

Geoff

Thanks Geoff :) 

Good idea for the lights - I did think of that for the last application (last of three) but, as you say, I would have been better off putting a bigger blob on and letting it hang (snurf titter).

Anyway, before Bill tries to encourage me to try to print tiny, tiny numbers I cut out the roundels and stuck 'em all on:

50679413242_9e8e020363_z.jpg

50679393571_207f4b5c5f_z.jpg

After a good soak, only one of the old transfers cracked a bit. Can you see it?

In the end I cut the roundels out, carefully, with decal scissors.

I made sure to avoid the blue and trimmed off any little bits of white.

I think I got away with it.

Pitot and front doors need pasting and I need another look around before some varnish.

Satin or matt?

• Like 11

23 minutes ago, CedB said:

I was referring to my brief time as an RAF Ossifer Cadet GD/P in 1973.

5 years before me!

23 minutes ago, CedB said:

Me too....!! 🤣

Cracking little silver jet Ced!

K

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, CedB said:

Anyway, before Bill tries to encourage me to try to print tiny, tiny numbers I cut out the roundels and stuck 'em all on:

50679413242_9e8e020363_z.jpg

Ced, sadly I think you have put the port wing codes on the wrong way up. See here

Dave

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Why no hats Pete?

They tended to disappear down the intakes on startup, or when marshaling the jets in.

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Get you, Dear.

Shiny varnish, such was the fashion back then,

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

In the end I cut the roundels out, carefully, with decal scissors.

I made sure to avoid the blue and trimmed off any little bits of white.

Just saying that, but to avoid the hassle, why not printing on transparent paper and spray a white disc where the roundel needs to be placed?

I'm not saying you could spray the whole roundels with masks, still.... :whistle:  :D  

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

5 years before me!

Me too....!! 🤣

Cracking little silver jet Ced!

K

15 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

And 10 years after me ( Ced, that is ) God I feel old!

Ah, fellow sufferers eh?

Do you still shiver if anyone mentions FIRECARTS? :wicked:

40 minutes ago, davecov said:

Ced, sadly I think you have put the port wing codes on the wrong way up. See here

Dave

Thanks Dave. Rats :) 

I was so worried about the old transfers I followed the instructions blindly:

50679737156_7191e2bb57_z.jpg

Schoolboy error :angry:

9 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

They tended to disappear down the intakes on startup, or when marshaling the jets in.

Get you, Dear.

Shiny varnish, such was the fashion back then,

Ah, got it, thanks Pete.

(Thoughts of mentioning sucking suppressed :whistle:)

Shiny eh? Oi loiks shiny fings… :D 

5 minutes ago, giemme said:

Just saying that, but to avoid the hassle, why not printing on transparent paper and spray a white disc where the roundel needs to be placed?

I'm not saying you could spray the whole roundels with masks, still.... :whistle:  :D  

Ciao

Great tip Giorgio, IF I'd thought about it before applying the paste :( 

Hopefully the ones I've ended up with are OK though.

She's ready for the varnish in the morning:

50678973638_cbea7aea24_z.jpg

50679804787_a0aae5271c_z.jpg

• Like 11
  • Confused 1