Hawker P1127 - Airfix 1/72

CedB

Pilot looks good Ced but I huv me doots about the plasticene.

Long term I have seen it dissolve with plastic into an oily goo, wouldn't a thin screed of PPP do a safer job over the inner walls?

A long time ago I used plasticene to modify the spine part of the fuselage for a Defiant Target Tug, it wasn't a happy choice which might just have been bad plasticene

Who knose?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Long term I have seen it dissolve with plastic into an oily goo, wouldn't a thin screed of PPP do a safer job over the inner walls?

A long time ago I used plasticene to modify the spine part of the fuselage for a Defiant Target Tug, it wasn't a happy choice which might just have been bad plasticene

Who knose?

I would also caution against using plasticine in conjunction with plastic. The plasticene contains oils and plasticiser, that will leach into the styrene plastic over time and, well, plasticise (soften) the plastic.

R

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I have a block of DAS plastic setting putty. Used it to good effect on a short shot Seamaster.

That looks a good plan, I'm following this before I do mine. I have a 1/24 I intend to do as a pre-production machine too.

Thanks Frank, although any plan is only good until something punches you in the mouth :D

Looking forward to your WiP…

4 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Looking forward to seeing that! :)

Keith

Me too Keith :) 

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking good! 

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrain :) 

As you'll see, I've checked out your WiP - so it's all your fault!

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Who knose?

Thanks Bill.

But it's not long term, it's…

38 minutes ago, giemme said:

And I thought Ced was going to produce a quick mould for resin with plasticene.... :confused: 

Ciao

Exactly! Great minds think alike and all that :D 

I had fiddled with some paper to cut for a template to cut some plastic sheet but I'm not up to Adrian's standards.

So I though"I'll make a mould from Plasticine and shape using that."

Then something punched me in the mouth (see below)

17 minutes ago, Rizon said:

I would also caution against using plasticine in conjunction with plastic. The plasticene contains oils and plasticiser, that will leach into the styrene plastic over time and, well, plasticise (soften) the plastic.

R

Thanks R - I'll avoid it then :) 

So, as I was molding the Plasticine I thought "Why am I not doing this with Milliput?"

Then I thought "How am I going to get the 'mould' out in one piece?"

Then I thought "Why don't I just use Milliput for the intake?"

Punch!

Now I see why Adrian cut his turbine in half.

So I did that:

50648035453_cd6da18b4a_z.jpg

I'll mould the outside susing Milliput and use plastic sheet for the innards.

Plan B :D 

• Like 17

No WIP on the biggie. I was given it part built, so part disassembly required. I bought Heritage intakes for the blow in doors, then found the pre-production a/c only had 6 a side. Yesterday I read the PP airframes were all bar one retro fitted with 8 door intakes, so I can carry on. I want to do NMF but don't know if they were all painted camo prior to the refit.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

No WIP on the biggie. I was given it part built, so part disassembly required. I bought Heritage intakes for the blow in doors, then found the pre-production a/c only had 6 a side. Yesterday I read the PP airframes were all bar one retro fitted with 8 door intakes, so I can carry on. I want to do NMF but don't know if they were all painted camo prior to the refit.

Shame - it would be good to see an accurate build! :)

17 hours ago, giemme said:

Brilliant! :clap: :D 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) 

I think it worked:

50651534718_a7056ee892_z.jpg

Milliput is magic stuff isn't it?

Sticky to start with then easily moulded with a wet shaping thingy.

I think it's worked for me:

50651536683_20096c249c_z.jpg

Now I need to do the 'flat bits that wrap around the shaft' - fnaar!

The best picture I've found is this one on Primeportal:

p1127_kestrel_32_of_49.jpg

(Thanks to Howard Mason, I think)

I had a brainwave prompted by Adrian's idea:

50651553163_f0ece66bf3_z.jpg

Paper template that I'll transfer to thin plastic when it fits.

I'm hoping it'll look OK:

50652397452_ab846dc9cd_z.jpg

More later, probably.

• Like 17

Plastic sheet (0.25mm) cut using the template:

50651890613_f444ea4ddd_z.jpg

Folded over the shaft and TET run down the fold:

50651894393_7e0c8dec20_z.jpg

Hopefully that'll work.

Pilot finished:

50652793772_bee047e870_z.jpg

Wash still wet.

• Like 16

Thanks Ian - hopefully they'll last long enough for the RFI :) 

I need something for the 'inside intake wall' to stick to so I inserted one of the kit parts and marked a line:

50652457243_ae70259958_z.jpg

Chopped both sides to size:

50652466958_feaf0a3abb_z.jpg

… and stuck 'em back in:

50653233876_0f38e4253a_z.jpg

I've also painted the cockpit grey now.

I'd better let the Milliput fully cure so I went back to the wings, sanded the 'hinges' and applied some Vallejo filler to the gaps:

50653465902_537db63171_z.jpg

I'll wet sand that later, probably tomorrow.

• Like 18

Ingenious job on the intakes, Ced :clap:  Still I would have loved to see some resin/plasticene quick molding  ... oh well, I guess I'll have to try that myself :D 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

On 11/24/2020 at 4:57 PM, CedB said:

It became one of its show tricks and I remember seeing one 'in the flesh' (snurf).

I can't begin to describe the noise!

When we had a Families Day on HMS Southampton in the Eighties, a lot of us were on the foc'sle just forward of the Sea Dart launchers waiting for a Harrier to do a fly-past on our starboard side. I was holding my one-year old daughter at the time. We heard the Harrier approaching but instead of going past, it hovered right by the foc'sle where we were stood. The sound was unbelievable with lots of spray being thrown over us but the vibrations going through our bodies was the worst. My poor daughter was scared witless and from that moment on, she would jump at any loud noise! Even now, thirty-odd years later she is still affected - except when she is making the loud noise herself, of course!

Dave

• Like 5

Excellent work on the intakes Ced.

The photo of the Bedford P1127 with the “ fat lip “ intake reminded me of my early years at Heathrow. One of our favourite party venues was a house whose address was 2 The Green ( Feltham, I think ) where they had a semi-enclosed bar built in the back garden which included the forward part of a P1127 intake!

Keep up the good work.

John

• Like 4

I am enjoying your build, Ced, and seeing how one of these should be made. When I made one of these a few years ago I wanted it to look like a desk ornament. I sanded off all rivets and painted it chrome:

spacer.png

Dave

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Lovely Saturday morning catch up Ced. Those intakes haven’t stopped you at all have they. Never stood a chance. 😜

paper templates are the way. I use them a lot, the floor of the office got a template in the hind. You’ve really found that thar mojo again. Those flaps too😍😍🥳 really enjoying this.

Thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Loving it, learning lots for mine next year probably (Now I am drawing bus plans in 32ths)

Wondering however why you didnt wet polish the Milliput with a finger to get that smoothness without sanding it and smooth it whilst it dried

Nice work on the innards though, darned nice pilot too

👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, HOUSTON said:

CedB,

EXEMPLARY  Workmanship. 

:worthy:

Looking  SPLENDIFEROUS..

:yahoo:

Smart work indeed.

:thumbsup:

Very kind of you Sir, thanks :) 

17 hours ago, giemme said:

Ingenious job on the intakes, Ced :clap:  Still I would have loved to see some resin/plasticene quick molding  ... oh well, I guess I'll have to try that myself :D 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - maybe next time! :) 

17 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking good! Cutting the fan in half makes everything a lot easier...

Regards,

Adrian

It does Adrian, thanks for the tip :) 

14 hours ago, davecov said:

When we had a Families Day on HMS Southampton in the Eighties, a lot of us were on the foc'sle just forward of the Sea Dart launchers waiting for a Harrier to do a fly-past on our starboard side. I was holding my one-year old daughter at the time. We heard the Harrier approaching but instead of going past, it hovered right by the foc'sle where we were stood. The sound was unbelievable with lots of spray being thrown over us but the vibrations going through our bodies was the worst. My poor daughter was scared witless and from that moment on, she would jump at any loud noise! Even now, thirty-odd years later she is still affected - except when she is making the loud noise herself, of course!

Dave

Great story, thanks Dave :) 

13 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Excellent work on the intakes Ced.

The photo of the Bedford P1127 with the “ fat lip “ intake reminded me of my early years at Heathrow. One of our favourite party venues was a house whose address was 2 The Green ( Feltham, I think ) where they had a semi-enclosed bar built in the back garden which included the forward part of a P1127 intake!

Keep up the good work.

John

Thanks John :) 

I wonder if the intake is still there?

Quick Google maps

Looks like the pub is a Dentist now (boo!) but wait, what's that round thing in the garden? Could it be?

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Some super progress on that Ced & some cool innovations as well. I can feel a P1127 hunt coming on. :)

Steve. 

Thanks Steve :) I hope you find the later mould. This one is too shiny!

2 hours ago, davecov said:

I am enjoying your build, Ced, and seeing how one of these should be made. When I made one of these a few years ago I wanted it to look like a desk ornament. I sanded off all rivets and painted it chrome:

spacer.png

Dave

Thanks Dave :) That's a great desk ornament… making me wonder if the ceiling is the best place after all this work.

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Lovely Saturday morning catch up Ced. Those intakes haven’t stopped you at all have they. Never stood a chance. 😜

paper templates are the way. I use them a lot, the floor of the office got a template in the hind. You’ve really found that thar mojo again. Those flaps too😍😍🥳 really enjoying this.

Thanks. 

Thanks Johnny - mojo has improved, thank goodness :) 

15 minutes ago, perdu said:

Loving it, learning lots for mine next year probably (Now I am drawing bus plans in 32ths)

Thanks Bill :) 

Are you WiPing the bus? Can't see one yet.

15 minutes ago, perdu said:

Wondering however why you didnt wet polish the Milliput with a finger to get that smoothness without sanding it and smooth it whilst it dried

Nice work on the innards though, darned nice pilot too

👍

Um, it's a problem of scale:

50655293303_da30635f0e_z.jpg

That's my 'little' finger.

I did smooth as much as I could with the sculpting tools and I'll use your 'PPP wet on a cotton bud' tip later.

I clamped and glued the inner intake on one side:

50655129903_def9c27058_z.jpg

…which produced the desired result:

50656080277_1a52541ca8_z.jpg

Things are getting messy now:

50655977176_2c61299194_z.jpg

I realised I would have trouble getting the other inner intake fitted and that I'd have to join up and try to pull it out (cheeky!)

That left a gap (rat) so it's had some sprue gloop applied:

50655286763_f48b60dd09_z.jpg

We'll see how that turns out.

One thing I've realised over the years watching great modellers on here is that, if you want a model that looks realistic, you need to 'zoom in' your eyes and correct all the imperfections.

Pass three on the flaps:

50656020871_fa707102ea_z.jpg

Getting there.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Things are getting messy now:

You and I are clearly giving the word "messy" a very different meaning... :banghead: :rofl:

Superb job on the inner intake, BTW :worthy:

As for smoothing Milliput, I did use make up sponge brushes to good effect, they're tiny enough to reach inside those intakes.

KUDOS on reworking the flaps,   way to go! :thumbsup:

Ciao 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1