Hawker P1127 - Airfix 1/72

CedB

Having increased my Harrier love during my Falklands Dogfight build I expressed a wish to build more, especially the prototype P1127.

Our own @perdu came to the rescue and within days this arrived in the post:

50561607573_c2a4292ec4_z.jpg

Thanks Bill, very much appreciated   This is a rare kit, tooled in 1963 and since then only reboxed. So very old Airfix. You know I like a challenge!

I can't do the customary shots of the part trees as most parts have been removed:

50575625796_51ab09be0e_z.jpg

I've checked the parts against the instructions (took about five minutes) and I seem to be missing the starboard outriggers: 

50575777257_19dfef2395_z.jpg

…and the port retracted one has a wheel missing. Looks like there's some scratch building / molding in my future!

I've also been warned about the canopy being to wide: 

50561612313_3cedffdcc1_z.jpg

…but this one seems fine so it's been dipped in Aqua Gloss: 

50562497612_e45696d1ef_z.jpg

Looks pretty good.

Of course the sixty-plus year old transfers need care: 

50562344571_0484ccd75c_z.jpg

They're in a bag stuck to the window in the hope some of the yellowing will go: 

50574886128_aa403b7b90_z.jpg

Yes, they are hung with the transfers to the sun.

Well, what counts as sun at the moment.

We'll see what that does over time.

Looking forward to this one!

• Like 29

I'll follow along if you don't mind, I've a soft spot for 1127 ever since I saw the first one displayed at Farnborough.

If I remember correctly there is a choice of tail cones and noses depending on period of development you are portraying.

Stay safe          Roger

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Thompson said:

FWIW, whenever I do that with the decals I make sure the bag end that opens faces downwards to prevent any condensation running into it (zip-lock obviously, so that they don't obey gravity).

Paul.

I do that too, and use zip lock backs and sellotape the zip lock up too. Hell of a job getting the decals out again...!!

But Ced, how about treating replacement decal sheets as tools and buy some Xtradecal generic sheets....especially as the roundels on that sheet are out of register!! (although I do have to admit thar Xtradecal aren't 100% immune to that problem! ):)

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Those decals are so old the centre has started to droop! I'd get some replacements. How can anyone not love the old baggies we grew up with? 

That doesn't sound right. I do hope I don't get any virtual slaps from other halves!

I'm looking forward to this one Ced, carry on!

Ian

• Haha 7

I’ve gotten out of jail with old decals by photocopying them onto inkjet decal paper. Assuming they whiten up. 

Alternatively scan them, adjust the white balance and then print them. 

I am of course assuming you have access to a colour printer with scanning capability.

I’m sure that if you were to purchase another harrier you could use the spare outriggers. There are so many interesting harrier schemes, a third one wouldn’t go amiss.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Paul Thompson said:

FWIW, whenever I do that with the decals I make sure the bag end that opens faces downwards to prevent any condensation running into it (zip-lock obviously, so that they don't obey gravity).

Paul.

Thanks Paul - great tip and now turned upside down :) 

3 hours ago, Hamden said:

I'll follow along if you don't mind, I've a soft spot for 1127 ever since I saw the first one displayed at Farnborough.

If I remember correctly there is a choice of tail cones and noses depending on period of development you are portraying.

Stay safe          Roger

Welcome Roger :) 

You're right - choices are there. I need to do some more research!

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

I do that too, and use zip lock backs and sellotape the zip lock up too. Hell of a job getting the decals out again...!!

But Ced, how about treating replacement decal sheets as tools and buy some Xtradecal generic sheets....especially as the roundels on that sheet are out of register!! (although I do have to admit thar Xtradecal aren't 100% immune to that problem! ):)

Keith

Thanks Keith :) I think you're right, especially now that…

1 hour ago, Brandy said:

Those decals are so old the centre has started to droop! I'd get some replacements. How can anyone not love the old baggies we grew up with? 

That doesn't sound right. I do hope I don't get any virtual slaps from other halves!

I'm looking forward to this one Ced, carry on!

Ian

… I see they're droopy! Thanks Ian, I'll ponder.

1 hour ago, giemme said:

I'm in too, Ced :clap: :popcorn:

Ciao 

Welcome Giorgio - I shall try to get close to your jet finish and I'm even thinking about special attention on the missiles.

Thinking about it :) 

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Ced tell me soon

Will this be on the shelf or on the ceiling?

I'm damned certain I'll be able to cobble outriggers for mine so you can have 'em for this.

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Outriggers schmoutriggers, they will be advanced to the lad ASAP

I do advise replacing the crap transfers Ced

Thanks Bill :) 

It will be on the ceiling, but lower than the others and posed in the hover.

Kind of you to offer to send the outriggers but that'll rob your kit and your no doubt better build so let me have a go at scratching the missing one - should be entertaining if nothing else!

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

I’ve gotten out of jail with old decals by photocopying them onto inkjet decal paper. Assuming they whiten up. 

Alternatively scan them, adjust the white balance and then print them. 

I am of course assuming you have access to a colour printer with scanning capability.

I’m sure that if you were to purchase another harrier you could use the spare outriggers. There are so many interesting harrier schemes, a third one wouldn’t go amiss.

Thanks Mark - I have the equipment (snurf) so I should be able to knock something up. Thanks :) 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Could you not use the outriggers from the SHAR if your doing the 1127 in the hover then the gear will down. As the SHAR is going to be in flight you should have the extended outriggers spare.

Stay safe        Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CedB said:

They're in a bag stuck to the window in the hope some of the yellowing will go: 

Treat yourself to a UV lamp as used by nail technicians. I had to get one after moving to Scotland where sunlight is in short supply. This is an old single lamp unit that I used to use. I have since upgraded to a four-lamp design:
KP_Yak_23_005.JPG

The decals before "treatment"
KP_Yak_23_002.JPG

After 24 hours (continual use)
KP_Yak_23_003.JPG

I normally leave decals in the unit for a week and the yellowing disappears completely in most cases. The single unit cost me less than a tenner in 2011 but they go for about £15 now although the bigger four-lamp unit I bought will cost about £25 today on eBay.

Dave

Edited by davecov
Changed "twin-lamp" to "four-lamp".
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Could you not use the outriggers from the SHAR if your doing the 1127 in the hover then the gear will down. As the SHAR is going to be in flight you should have the extended outriggers spare.

Stay safe        Roger

Thanks Roger :) 

Good idea, but they're not quite the same:

50576626897_5569614d1e_z.jpg

The SHAR outriggers look beefier and they mount slightly inboard of the wingtips whereas the P has them right on the end.

I should be able to scratch them though - he said confidently!

16 minutes ago, davecov said:

Treat yourself to a UV lamp as used by nail technicians. I had to get one after moving to Scotland where sunlight is in short supply. This is an old single lamp unit that I used to use. I have since upgraded to a twin-lamp design:
KP_Yak_23_005.JPG

The decals before "treatment"
KP_Yak_23_002.JPG

After 24 hours (continual use)
KP_Yak_23_003.JPG

I normally leave decals in the unit for a week and the yellowing disappears completely in most cases. The single unit cost me less than a tenner in 2011 but they go for about £15 now although the bigger twin-lamp unit I bought will cost about £25 today on eBay.

Dave

Oooh, a new tool!

That looks great Dave and I've added it to my wish list - it'll come in handy too if ever I get around to making my own PE.

One day…

• Like 9

When I worked for games workshop plastics the moulding factory they took over had obviously been subbing for Airfix as on the roof of the offices in the factory I found a box with various kits in one of these was a p1127 the rest were plastic mouldings of dinky cars chassis and bodies one if I remember was kojaks police car 

• Like 6

Hi Ced and all

Maybe I joined on page 1? 

That'll be a first!

Anyway, glad to be here, looking forward to how this develops

I seem to remember an early Harrier in my builds, an absolute b@gger to get the swivelling jet outlets sorted (they were all connected by an internal linkage that was a sod to arrange)

I was young and foolish....

Now I'm older and foolish, ho hum

This will be a cracker.....like all of Ced's builds

Best regards

Geoff

• Thanks 1

I'm here too in time for page 1 I hope! - is it me or did the BM upgrade lose the little post numbering system?

Great choice Ced. They are pretty rare to find it seems unless you are prepared to part with big bucks. Always fancied doing a Kestrel. Must put that on the wishlist.

Terry

• Like 1