Academy 1/72 P-51B Mustang "Old Crow"

Fresh off the bench is the Academy 1/72 P-51B Mustang "Old Crow".

Built completely OOB, this kit was a good fit with a decent level of detail.

This was my first build with invasion stripes. The kit provides decals for the invasion stripes, but I chose to paint these instead. 

The white on the decals was rather translucent, which I touched up with white paint in areas over the invasion stripes. 
I had a lot of difficulty moving the decals once placed. Where they landed, they stayed, but they conformed very well. I simply focused on trying to keep both sides of the aircraft similar.
In my haste, I placed the decals on the wrong side of the prop. Since I didn't realise until the final stage, I painted over them with black paint and cracked on.

Issues and errors aside, I tried something new, learnt plenty along the way, and I'm pretty happy with the end result. 

Thanks for viewing!

y4muXW5oM8T5uZdUkMwBCI4e5XOOP_25xheyUz8w

y4mpMjRSvyE5dMM1Jw_YFsDpycqX8NdlK_Rm6HHD

y4mXWdvh3y0YZBavf85A3lpWOT-38XQlGPWvG4ZB

y4mHNvtEg3gjoVWsWaIo0nVGnLViIT9I2vSVwqU9

y4mQhHBUXUjrWnPiTjCKKm7Cjt8rY1AF-IeaKxJr

y4mm56N8pl9mpvVRY0Ps9nZAsJKXB9eywmpKtqai

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Very nice.  I know this kit can provide a fair amount of problems when assembling the wing to the fuselage.  Your B variant Mustang looks great with the invasion stripes and excellent weathering.  :goodjob:

Mike

• 1 year later...

Doing this myself. Fiddly and translucent decals are really frustrating. If mine turn out half as good as yours i'll be happy. 

Wonder what paint you used and scheme? Gunze? Raf dark green and medium sea grey or OD/NG?