Paint Shaker

nheather

Just a heads up.

If you are interested in paint shakers you may start seeing adverts for one by Timodel which vaguely implies that it has been designed specifically for the model industry.  For example the latest Airfix magazine is promoting it in their product news.

Just be aware that this appears to be identical to the Chinese Nail Polish shakers that have been on the market for years and can be bought from the likes of Amazon, eBay, Aliexpress for much less (as low as 50%) than the one being offered by Timodel.

Not saying that the Timodel isn’t good, just that it looks identical in every way to alternatives that can be bought much more cheaply.  If you see the Timodel one and are tempted, by all means buy it, you main have valid reasons for wanting that one, just letting you know that you can buy a practically identical alternative for less.

Here is a photo of the Timodel version

V1fbJdZ.jpg

Here is a photo of my Nail Polish Shaker.

FXyczMo.jpg

Cheers,

Nigel

I am looking for a mixer for a long time, after watching in action one used in a lab. However, these are expensive and I never could justify paying more than 100 euros for one.

Your post made me look in Aliexpress for the one you shared and I even put it on the cart when I thought I should look again for a lab shaker. And I've found a cheap one, with good reviews from modelers! For a little more than the Nail Lacker Shacker I ordered this one:

spacer.png

From here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001270476552.html 

It's coming from China, so I don't expect it soon. I hope that the waiting will prove worthwhile.

Carlos

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CarLos said:

I am looking for a mixer for a long time, after watching in action one used in a lab. However, these are expensive and I never could justify paying more than 100 euros for one.

Your post made me look in Aliexpress for the one you shared and I even put it on the cart when I thought I should look again for a lab shaker. And I've found a cheap one, with good reviews from modelers! For a little more than the Nail Lacker Shacker I ordered this one:

spacer.png

From here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001270476552.html 

It's coming from China, so I don't expect it soon. I hope that the waiting will prove worthwhile.

Carlos

Thanks Carlos, that looks interesting.

I started off wanting a Robart mixer but for whatever reason they have never been available in the UK other than a opportunistic over-priced imports.

That is why I ended up with the Nail Polish Shaker which does a decent job, but I will certainly take a look at the one you have linked.

I use Vallejo, many not often enough, they all have marine grade bearings but even then are very difficult to mix up properly sometimes.  Often have to resort to removing the top and going in with a skewer.

Cheers,

Nigel

I’ve been watching some videos of vortex mixers on Youtube, looks very promising.

But as you say, on Amazon and eBay they seem to be £40 to £100.

So the AliExpress sounds like a good deal but there is risk of VAT and courier fees which will push it towards the £40 mark anyway - but there is a chance it will get through unchecked for £20.

One concern I have if buying a more expensive one is the durability of the rubber top.  It is designed for nice smooth test tubes so I wonder whether hard ridges paint bottle tops will wear the rubber top prematurely and tear it.

Cheers,

Nigel

Bought the same type of nail polish shaker as Nigel has and  it works good enough for me with the Hataka and mr Paint  bottles and for the Humbrol I use a electrical paint stirrer ..

The one that Nigel and I have can be picked up for a mere 22 pounds....Including shipping..

Interested to see how the vortex mixer does the job!

cheers, Jan