Voodoo child (again)

Anatol Pigwa

(25.02.2021) Slight change of plans I won't be able to finish the F-101B on time due to geospacial abberations.

However I will try and build sonething completly different it may even foreshadow a certain GB coming later up this year...

MK

Hi all,

I will chip in with the Revell F-101B Voodoo the aircraft which epitomises to me the idea i

of an interceptor.

As I already build the Matchbox version, it will be interesting to compare bith of these kits.

Btw. the Matchbox Voodoo is in Canadian colours, but the kit didn't come with any weapons. Is it feasible to equip this aircraft with the AIR- 2 Genie?

I plan to use the leftover decaks of the Happy Hooligans on the Revell kit. It may, or may no recieve also AM wheels, bang seats and a pitot probe.

Edited by Anatol Pigwa
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, Col. said:

Another less common but worthy type, nice subject choice Anatol, I'm keen to see the Revell kit as been tempted by it myself :thumbsup:

Which is surprising, since almost twice as many F-101B have been build as F-106 (though the Delta Dart was longer in service AIR)

Edited by Anatol Pigwa
  • Like 2

And now for some titilating pictures of the spruces:

DSC_0274

The whole kit. The AM as well as the decals are not travelling with me, and are therefore ommited from the picture.

DSC_0275

The big sticks. I am thorn whether to put the Genies on this airframe, or the falcons (and add the Genies to my Matchbox Canadian CF-101.)

DSC_0279

The cockpit is pretty nicely detailed...

DSC_0282

... as are the ejection seats. These will however be replaced.

DSC_0284

The kit has finely recessed panel lines and quite a lot of detail in the wheelbays and other positionable parts. The only place which is slightly dissapointing is the area behind the airbrake though.

DSC_0285

Still not bad for a thirtish year old kit design.

• Like 5

There does look to be some nice detail on the kit parts...

5 hours ago, Anatol Pigwa said:

DSC_0285

Still not bad for a thirtish year old kit design.

...for such an old kit :o Can't get my head around the fact the 90s were any more than a few years ago.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im a bit Jealous Anatol, you don't know how long Ive bern looking for one of these little gems. 

And I have two of them - and could get a third one for less than a tenner.

I suppose that is the joy of living in Revell country. OTOH finding a Sword kit or a Hasegawa F-111 borders on a miracle here.

If only there was an economical way to send stuff over the pond...

Edited by Anatol Pigwa
  • Like 3

Nice choice, I have that kit in the stash with resin cockpit. Was contemplating to build it for this GB but I think I am all set for now and most likely won't have time for fourth model :D 

So I'll just follow along your build, have fun :) 

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, reini said:

I have that kit in the stash with resin cockpit.

I have too...but the problem with the stencil I wrote about ... by the way here is a good illustration of this problem:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/img_1437079_1512480234_IMG_4201_f.jpg.html

B.R.

Serge

P.S. By the way, is anyone wondering if I can take a photo comparing the old and new Revell F-101B decals in this topic for history?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

aTime to start building.

Unfortunately I am currently somewhat constrained and without access to my paintbrush, therefore I can only do some limited modelling.

F-101B

I started with masking the cabin and glueing tge weapons and tanks

BTW. a question to oeople who build this plane before. Has the Revell sugfestion of first closing the fuselage and then inserting the 'pit and weaponsbay any merit? I'd rather do it the tradtional way TBH.

• Like 2

• Anatol Pigwa changed the title to Paper Moon (was: Voodoo child)

Update:

Bad news - I won't be able to finush the Voodoo by the deadlone of the GB.

Good news - I will biild something else instead.

So what will come in lieu of the Voodoo? 

This: (or more precisely one of those as they are two 'kits' in one) The other one will probably get his turn during the 'Anything but injection GB'.

Karton

And the 'kit' looks like this:

Karton

So a quick poll: Should I build the F-16 or the MiG-29 first?

• Like 3

So, a cardboatd modrl of a MiG-29. That seems to be something new sround here.

the nice thing about cardboard models is, they are cheap (the kit plus all the tools required costs less than a better 1:72 scale kit), there are no olfactory issues, as the glue and paints used are the least troublesome imaginable.

DSC_0480

The kit and necessary tools.

The drawbacks? Well the builds are not as lifelike as their plastic counterparts. Particularly double bend shapes, quite common in aircraft cannot be easily reproduced

But enough of the the chit-chat. The modrlling us due to start:

Step 1. glueing the support structure onto 1mm cardboard

DSC_0483

Step 2 cutting out the skin of the model:

A very important note on this one putting down part numbers on the back helps to avoid confusion later on.

DSC_0485

Step 3. Noticing you are building the wrong airplane. There are no words to describe the feeling when you look at the instructions and notice the F-16 you intended to build has actually gour JDAMs under its wings.

Karton

Fortunately the MiG-29 has four A2A missiles as its loadout, so this one is going to be completed for tjis GB.

• Like 3

• Anatol Pigwa changed the title to Voodoo child (again)