Italeri 1/48 F-14A Tomcat VF-41 USS Nimitz 1976

MiGFan79

Hi All.

After approval from Col my contribution to this group build will be an Italeri 1/48 Tomcat. Plan is minimal extras outside of the Furball Decals and possibly seats / seat belts, mainly just to do a nice straightforward build of what I think is a great livery.

I started this kit a couple of years ago and built / painted the wings (which due to the "traditional" construction is the logical way in my opinion). Other than some parts removed from the sprues for dry fitting that's as far it went.

It's obviously not the Tamiya kit in terms of design or engineering but dry fitting indicates it should build ok, only a*se is having to mask the wings so early in the build for basically the duration of the build! It will be decked out with a suitable period deck launch / intercept loadout as befits the theme of the GB.

50574632773_bee5260761_h.jpg

50574632733_c707dc9c3f_h.jpg

50574632793_d37cb62f21_h.jpg

See you all on the 14th!

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

I have found some Aires GRU-7 seats in the bits box that fit the orignal tub quite well (not the case with the Academy kit they were intended for). I am going to use these in conjunction with Eduard etch intended for the Tamiya seats to "busy" up the cockpit area a bit.

50653392756_d2116441ea_h.jpg

There isn't any etch or other aftermarket available for the cockpit itself, however I have borrowed the FIghter Town generic F-14 sheet which is chuck full of useful stuff for use all over the airframe. I hope to be able to use decals to on the main panels and then a bit of dry brushing and highlighting to give some life to the side consoles.

50653392846_f7eacac9ee_h.jpg

My plan is to get ad much attached to the fuselage as possible before joining the halves together as I don't want a million gluing and filling jobs to do while i work around fully painted and masked wings. Rear stabilators fitted and first wipe of putty in lieu of primer.

50653482912_716d3be092_h.jpg

Try and make some inroads on the cockpit this weekend.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Tidy work in the 'pits. Hopefully that horizontal join isn't a problematic one when it comes time to assemble the forward fuselage.

It’s not bad at all. General fit and finish, while unlike to keep Tamiya awake at night, is pretty good. I’ve certainly built worse. The Academy F-14 certainly needs more work, the top half of the forward fuselage is moulded into the rest of the upper but the joint line for the lower part of the cockpit is cranked and needs much more work. I’ll KUTA the Academy kit I’m building as an aggressor at some point.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MiGFan79 said:

...I’ll KUTA the Academy kit I’m building as an aggressor at some point.

Is it too far on to be included here?

18 minutes ago, Col. said:

Is it too far on to be included here?

It's at the same point as this build was (wings painted) but as I've got this build well on and my RAF Phantom going in KUTA and I like to give myself a slight chance of getting a GB project finished so it'll stay on the back burner for now. It will resurface on a GB sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MiGFan79 said:

It's at the same point as this build was (wings painted) but as I've got this build well on and my RAF Phantom going in KUTA and I like to give myself a slight chance of getting a GB project finished so it'll stay on the back burner for now. It will resurface on a GB sooner rather than later.

If you do get bench space and time it'll be most welcome here :)

• 2 weeks later...

Powering on with sub assemblies as these are my pet hate at the end of a build and things I find a real struggle to get over the line.

50740421408_0388e5eca8_h.jpg

50741156176_1917d8ebc6_h.jpg

50740421468_3edecfb2ca_h.jpg

50741156456_dafe629de1_h.jpg

50741260897_22d813f59b_h.jpg

Pretty pleased so will get all these bagged up and put to one side for now. Once the festive (relatively speaking) period is done I'll get the compressor and extractor fired up and get some paint down on the main airframe, although my initial focus will be my Phantom FG.1 for KUTA.

• Like 5

It's not a bad kit, especially when you consider it was just under £20.00 when I picked it up. The Academy one which I have on the bench as mentioned above seems reasonable too, only thing I don't like on that kit is there is a large cranked joint at the front of the fuselage which I'm hoping can be dealt with before the cockpit tub goes in as it will be much easier to squeeze it into reasonable fit if it can be accessed from both sides.

I have the Tamiya F-14's in my stash but I'm still honing my skills and finding techniques I like using so I'm getting plenty of value building the "lower" end of the F-14 kit market!

• Like 2