T-33, Burmese Air Force

John

I think the first Heller kit I ever built was the Cadet Fouga Magister. It was in a bag and it came from the newsagents at the end of our street. Of course, I was very familiar with the Magister because the baddies in The Aeronauts seemed to have a plentiful supply, given the numbers they lost...

Skip forward a few years to the early 1980s and I was working in Stirling within walking distance of The Model Engineer, a real classic model shop. Ken the owner liked Heller kits and kept a good stock, many of which I bought. Heller kits in those days were the state of the art. 

One of their kits from this era that I never built was the T-33. In fact, I don't think I've ever built a T-33. Airfix and Monogram F-80s, but not the 2-seater. 

I remember seeing Ormond Haydon-Baillie's "Black Knight" at Old Warden in the 1970s and T-33s were regular visitors to the Leuchars air shows but for some reason I never bought a kit. 

Time to right a historic wrong. I've acquired a kit and a decal sheet with, of all things, a Burmese option. Who could resist?

Photos to follow shortly. 

Actually, now I think about it, I might have a Magister in the stash as well 🙂

John 

• Like 4

John, welcome to the GB and good luck with your build. I'd personally like to see some photo's because I don't have a clue what a T-33 is 🙂

I took the liberty of removing your first post, it appears you posted the build twice. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

John, welcome to the GB and good luck with your build. I'd personally like to see some photo's because I don't have a clue what a T-33 is 🙂

I took the liberty of removing your first post, it appears you posted the build twice. 

Thanks. 

No idea how that happened, probably something to do with being a bit careless posting from my phone. Back to the PC from now on 🙂

John 

Here we have a 1990s boxing of Heller's excellent 1980 T-33 Shooting Star:

T331

The parts are moulded in silver with fine raised detail:

T332

Also typically Heller, the decals are out of register 🙄

T333

No matter in this case since, as RidgeRunner correctly surmises, I have a Hi-Decal sheet:

T334

Looks like a fun build.

John

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, a bit of time to do some work on this kit. First thing to note is that some of the sprue attachments can be described as "substantial":

T335

T336

Fortunately the connecting plastic is quite thin, but it's still a bit awkward.

First point of construction is attaching the nose. The kit has alternative parts for the RT-33 but in this case we need the plain, unadorned, version:

T337

More shortly.

John

• Like 5

A great looking plane, good luck with this build. 

I've got a real liking for the T33 since I did it in 1.48. I have a bunch of photos of the example that used to reside at Tangmere if you need a bit of reference material. I believe that airframe has gone to Lakenheath USAF side for a makeover. 

This is going to look great! 👍

• Like 1

One thing that dates this otherwise very nice kit is the echoing void inside the main wheel well. Inabootit with some Microstrip and Microrod - no pretensions to being completely accurate but it looks better:

T338

John

• Like 7

• 2 months later...

Hi John

I hope you are well.

This GB only has a week to go and the Gallery will look unfinished if your T-33 / RT-33 isn't in it.

Have you had a chance to make any more progress since we last heard from you  ?

Cheers Pat