Chieftain Mk.10 Berlin Brigade

10 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Oh, I know exactly what you mean. But you've done a great job on that basket. Question; Do you use an iron or one of those neat little flame guns?

John.

Thanks John and @vytautas.

I have got the Dremel gas soldering iron kit, so you can use flame or a tip. With the basket I drilled holes into a piece of plastic card to get the spacing for the bars. The difficulty was getting the brass hot enough for the solder to run but not melt the plastic so I used the tip. In hindsight I would probably have been better of using a piece of ply or wood to hold the bars and then used the torch to get the heat. I was just too lazy to go and find a piece of wood.

I should really spend some time just practicing soldering different thicknesses of brass to see which way works best. I think the tip would work best with photoetch and the flame for brass rod and bar.  

Wayne 

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, diablo rsv said:

so fair play to you for doing it in1/72.

Cheers wayne ,but I'm only going to try to do it  ,you've  absolutely  nailed it , even in close up it stands its own , lets see how mine turns out first 🙄,    I'll  do it on the site soon , the scheme has been eating at me for a while, i have the 35th kit too,  but i don't  get serious modelling time regularly  atm to do it proper jucstice 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Andy J said:

Just been playing catch up with your build thread and.........WOW amazing work Wayne..........stunning skills on display here 🙂👍

Cheers Andy!  I appreciate you taking the time to have a look. There does seem to be an awful lot of quality builds going on in the forum at the moment, I'm finding it hard to keep up with them all.

Wayne

5 hours ago, Ernst said:

Awesome work Wayne. Congratulations on your article in the magazine, well deserved and it won't be the last one.

Cheers,

Ernst.

Thanks Ernst, that's very kind of you.

Wayne

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

'allo! What's this? Is this one of your cars Wayne, or an AFV? What magazine?

John.

Tamiya Model Magazine did a feature on my Miniart B-type Military Omnibus in the December issue. He originally contacted me to ask if they could feature the Matilda Mk.III ( Filibuster ). I got really excited and then didn't hear back.😪  After a while he contacted me again regarding the bus. 😁 

Wayne 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, diablo rsv said:

Tamiya Model Magazine did a feature on my Miniart B-type Military Omnibus in the December issue. He originally contacted me to ask if they could feature the Matilda Mk.III ( Filibuster ). I got really excited and then didn't hear back.😪  After a while he contacted me again regarding the bus. 😁 

Wayne 

Well done mate. That bus deserved to be seen in print. It's always nice when they contact you first.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/12/2020 at 16:33, Bullbasket said:

Well done mate.

Thanks again John, it was a really nice surprise, although he hasn't actually sent me a copy of the magazine yet, so I went and bought a couple myself.

I have now fitted the 3d printed engine deck grills and I think they are quite an improvement over the photo etch ones that Takom provide,

although there may be better options out there.

I made some lifting handles from some .5mm brass rod and some .7mm tubing. The photo etch ones provided are just too flat for my liking. 

zCqedrKh.jpg

The ID plate with the number 10 on it was made from some brass sheet and it's bracket from a piece of photo etch fret. A template for the 10 was cut using my Silhouette Portrait cutting machine.

As Dan @Dads203 pointed out the resilience rail is topped with rubber and although I have seen them both painted and unpainted, I think having them rubber adds a bit more to the look of the engine deck.

I'm assuming there should be some cable on the drum in the basket so I added some from stretched sprue. 

FZfzulSh.jpg

Takom provide decals in red and white stripes to go onto the rear stowage bins but the photo I have shows them to be red and yellow. It also looks as though they are plates that are mounted onto the bins, so again these were made from brass sheet and painted. I'm guessing they are something like wide load warnings, please feel free to enlighten me.

G4G2ZPth.jpg

The rubber mud guards on the front of the track guards were replaced with some made from lead foil. I had thinned down the plastic moulded ones but I wasn't entirely happy with the way they looked. Looking at the photos I think I need to flatten out some of the small kinks.

Ofxhh5Eh.jpg

I need to do some work on the gun and add a couple of small details and then I can start with the pin washes etc.

Wayne

• Like 15

So many positives with this build, that it's hard to pick them all out. The engine deck and the lifting handles are excellent. So too are the warning plates and the rubber mud flaps. Superb references for when I get around to building mine. Great work Wayne.

John.

• Thanks 1

Some really lovely work there👌You are bringing a good kit up to the next level 👍

The yellow and orange plates are just standard hazard warnings as found on trucks etc, supposedly stops cars ramming the said object!😀

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, ivan-o said:

The yellow and orange plates are just standard hazard warnings as found on trucks etc, supposedly stops cars ramming the said object!😀

It was a legal requirement in Germany when I served back in the 90’s along with the winky pot flashing amber beacon. All tracked vehicles had to have them for road moves or a swift rollicking from the MTWO would ensue  :frantic:

• Like 1

Thank you all once again for the feedback and information, it's much appreciated.

11 hours ago, ivan-o said:

The yellow and orange plates are just standard hazard warnings as found on trucks etc, supposedly stops cars ramming the said object!

Blimey! You would have to have the eyesight of Mr Magoo not to see one of those in front of you.

3 minutes ago, diablo rsv said:

Thank you all once again for the feedback and information, it's much appreciated.

Blimey! You would have to have the eyesight of Mr Magoo not to see one of those in front of you.

You would think that but the reality was very different mate, quite a few serious accidents at night involving tracked vehicles and the local civpop. You could paint these things in reflective paint with more lights than a Christmas tree and someone would pile into you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dads203 said:

You would think that but the reality was very different mate, quite a few serious accidents at night involving tracked vehicles and the local civpop. You could paint these things in reflective paint with more lights than a Christmas tree and someone would pile into you.

Amazing wasn’t it they knew that every September and October the countryside would be crawling with tanks,apc’s etc and they still didn’t slow down🙄😀

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Probably also done so that if SOXMIS got lost, they would be able to find you again.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, diablo rsv said:

I need to Google this one, straight over my head. :confused:

Soviet mission in Germany😀 we had the same in the east. It was a team of Russians driving around keeping an eye on what NATO was up to. Our lot done exactly the same across the iron curtain. Of course what was really happening was trying to gather as much intelligence about the other side as possible. Whenever we spotted them we had to inform the RMP,s asp.

HTH 

Ivan

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, diablo rsv said:

I need to Google this one, straight over my head. :confused:

It was legalised spying, all sides did it, Russians, French, Brits and the US.

it was to keep the balance, put teams into another’s country and let them observe to a degree. Some great books written on the the subject one which was a cracking read was called Brixmis. The British military mission into east Germany.

They really put themselves into firing line to gain intel on the latest Soviet kit and tactics. Proper unsung hero’s of the Cold War. 

https://coldwar.org.uk/soxmis-and-brixmis-legal-spying-on-the-front-lines-of-the-cold-war/

• Like 2

I  don't want to turn your thread into a John Le Carre story, but just a little anecdote. We were a signals regiment, and one of our squadrons was radio and their vehicles were Humber Pigs and Saracens. Every time that we left camp on exercise, within minutes, the Soxmis Beetle would turn up. Not just turn up, but slot itself into our convoy, which caused a few problems. Our CO, who took :poop:from nobody, got really fed up with this performance, especially as they were supposed to just follow the convoy, not become part of it. So it was arranged that the next time that we went out, we would stick to our usual 21 miles in the hour (not 21mph), and maintain convoy spacing. All drivers had been briefed on what to do. Sure enough, the little Beetle arrived and fitted in between a Pig and a Saracen. As we approached a junction, the Pig in front of the Beetle stopped, but the Saracen behind it didn't, and made a very nasty mess of the Soxmis car. No one was injured, but the Beetle was a write off. They never pulled that stunt again.

Now back to the model.

John.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3