Chieftain Mk.10 Berlin Brigade

17 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Lovely work on the tracks Wayne, very convincing finish you have achieved fella :thumbsup:

Thanks Dan,

They were actually quite nice tracks to work on. Having said that I haven't actually fitted them yet.🤞

So the fun of the painting the Berlin scheme has begun. 

I attached the bazooka plates with some double sided tape and masked off the wheels.

I have gone with the Ammo Mig Berlin scheme paint set as I had read a few positive reviews of them. I thinned it with Mr Levelling Thinner and it went on quite nicely.

eVU8BWbh.jpg

I started with the masking for the Blue/Grey and half way through felt that the white was just a little too grey so I went over it again with some Tamiya LP-2 lacquer to brighten it up a bit.

qkV1QYbh.jpg

Next up was the Blue/Grey, again it went on nicely but this time after comparing the hue to images in the book and on line, I felt that it could do with being a little bluer, so I added a few drops of blue in and and misted it over the model.

kuJSGPOh.jpg

As you can probably tell the masking for this scheme is a time consuming and fiddly affair. The Tankograd book is really a must if you are going to tackle this scheme. As has been noted elsewhere the kit's painting guide isn't very accurate.

I believe there is a masking set available for this kit but I don't think it would have been very easy to use. There are soo many nooks and crannies and awkward areas that I think the only way to do it is to use decent masking tape. 

I found the Infini cutting mat invaluable in cutting the tape into the sizes I needed. It has been one of my most useful purchases, especially as I also build WW1 aircraft and it makes cutting masks for rib tapes a doddle. This one has seen better days though so time for a new one. 

I4QBtZRh.jpg

For the sake of my sanity I decided to complete the painting of the base colours on the hull first.  The brown is the last to go on and again I'm not sure that it's quite right. In most of the images it appears to be a little darker than Mig's but I have decide to leave as is for now is it will probable darken with the washes and weathering.

edtzjAYh.jpg

I will leave the exciting bit for tomorrow and hope there isn't too much tidying up to do.🤞

Wayne

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

I will leave the exciting bit for tomorrow and hope there isn't too much tidying up to do.🤞

You swine Moriarty!! That's like saying "Tune in next week folks to see if our hero can save his girl friend in time".

Nice work Wayne. I'm taking notes as this (hopefully) will be tackled at some point in the future.

John.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

You swine Moriarty!! That's like saying "Tune in next week folks to see if our hero can save his girl friend in time".

Nice work Wayne. I'm taking notes as this (hopefully) will be tackled at some point in the future.

John.

Sorry John😁.  I thought a bit of suspense was how you hooked in the viewers.

Just for you then.

qm7HWo8h.jpg

PM6FZVPh.jpg

I'm pretty chuffed with the way the masking went. There was very little touch up required. I'm still not sure about the brown though. In all of the images I have it appears to be a darker more chocolate colour. Mig have used what appears to be a NATO brown. According to the Tankograd book earlier on colours were matched to local surroundings but in later years standard colours were used and this led to a darker appearance. In different lights the colours on the model do appear to change, so I guess the same goes for the photos of the actual vehicles. Also the Mig colours seem to be a closer match the Mk.10 at the Maldon museum. I wouldn't normally trust museum exhibits but as these were relatively recent history I imagine they would have got it reasonably accurate.

w9545C3l.jpg

Photo courtesy of @Bullbasket. Thanks again John. 

I will need to apply a coat of clear satin so that may well darken it down a touch. 

Wayne

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Too right you should be chuffed with the masking. Looks very clean and tidy.

21 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

That’s a proper work of art mate, very tidy indeed. Superb masking

What they said and I'll just add stunning!

Stay safe               Roger

• Thanks 1

Wow! That has turned out brilliant Wayne. You've masked each separate colour superbly. As you say, the varnish will darken it, as will any washes that you apply, so don't fret over that. The Maldon tank does look good, but it was away for a time in the last couple of years, and had a complete repaint.

Again, superb job mate.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Firstly i think that looks Fantastic!

Secondly i would imagine when you are looking at photos of the real think, it would make sense that in 1/35 colours would be a bit lighter. Maybe i am wrong 🤔

Keep up the excellent work!

George

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback guys. It's much appreciated.

As @ivan-o says it's time for the curvy bit.

It pretty much followed the same process as the hull apart from where it was easier in a couple of places to change the colour order.

O1Z77Moh.jpg

lCrrFPnh.jpg

Again with the tape removed there were a couple of touch-ups to do but I'm pleased with the results.

ZaEFHgkh.jpg

A few images of the turret and hull reunited gives you an idea of the complexity of the scheme. I'm not the quickest of modellers and I estimate it took me around 18 hours and an awful lot of Tamiya masking tape to get to this point.

A76BdGAh.jpg

a7wJ75Yh.jpg

nK849Vgh.jpg

Next job will be to attach the details that were left of for the basic painting and then I will give it all a coat of semi gloss.

Wayne

16 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

Secondly i would imagine when you are looking at photos of the real think, it would make sense that in 1/35 colours would be a bit lighter.

I believe they call it scale colour, where the further you get from an object lighter colours appear darker and darker colours  appear lighter. I don't think that's the case here though. If you look at images of the Challenger 2 that they have recently done in this scheme you can see that the MIG colours are a pretty good match to it. I'm ok with it now though. It will darken down when the final finishes are added. I hope. 🤞

9NfTMIOl.jpg RAaC2BE.jpg

On 05/12/2020 at 14:30, Bullbasket said:

I'm taking notes as this (hopefully) will be tackled at some point in the future.

I have to say John that although it looks like a daunting scheme it really hasn't been that bad. It's time consuming but really rewarding when that tape comes off. I would say go for it. Although that Challenge 2 does look good in this scheme.

• Like 19

4 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

Again with the tape removed there were a couple of touch-ups to do but I'm pleased with the results.

And so you should be. That is looking first class. Great work Wayne.

John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the feed back guys and welcome along @At Sea.

9KXHOZMl.jpg

On most of the images I have got of these tanks there has been some additional stowage added to the turret baskets, usually in the form of extra bins. There seems to be a bit of variety so I assume it was down to individual crews. But one thing that seems pretty consistent, as seen in the image above, is the extra basket for what looks like rolled up mats. Unfortunately Takom haven't included this, even though it is seen in the image of the vehicle that they have based their art work on. So the only option was to make one. I used some .5mm brass rod soldered together. Unfortunately my soldering skills aren't great and what you see below took me a whole evening.

B15edHPh.jpg

There is also a small box, that Takom had missed, that needed to be added next to the basket. I have no idea what it's for but is quite prominent.

5rAshrUh.jpg

Once it was all painted it looks ok, although I have made the basket a tad too high but being as life is too short and the intention is to add stowage anyway it will have to remain that way.

wep4aAVh.jpg

I have now applied the satin coat so next job is to add some markings.

Wayne

• Like 14

Lovely work indeed on the basket Wayne, not the easiest thing to scratch up that’s for sure mate but you nailed it. Just one thing that you are probably aware of though, the resilience rail which runs around the the engine deck, loads of holes in the top should be topped with rubber. It’s designed to stop the gun tube from scraping along the rear decks when the turret is traversed to the rear. You can see it clearly in the Chally picture that you posted up. 

Dan 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

Unfortunately my soldering skills aren't great and what you see below took me a whole evening.

Oh, I know exactly what you mean. But you've done a great job on that basket. Question; Do you use an iron or one of those neat little flame guns?

John.

• Thanks 1

Wow, thats a bit of alright, top drawer ,I've  got the takom 72nd mk 10 and mk 11 cheiftains and the, takom 72nd cheiftain mk5 and fv432 kits, i intend  to do one along side the fv432 both in the berlin scheme  ,bit of inspiration this, smashing👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dads203 said:

Just one thing that you are probably aware of though, the resilience rail which runs around the the engine deck, loads of holes in the top should be topped with rubber.

Thanks Dan.

I am aware that they were rubber, what I didn't know though is that they were called the resilience rail, I just called them gun bumper bars. In some photos they appear to be left unpainted and others show them in the body colour. I guess they were replaced or that the paint didn't adhere well to the rubber.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hewy said:

Wow, thats a bit of alright, top drawer ,I've  got the takom 72nd mk 10 and mk 11 cheiftains and the, takom 72nd cheiftain mk5 and fv432 kits, i intend  to do one along side the fv432 both in the berlin scheme  ,bit of inspiration this, smashing👍

Thanks Hewy. 

Blimey! I thought it was fiddley doing the scheme in 1/35th so fair play to you for doing it in1/72.

11 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Fantastic work Wayne, the paintwork looks really stunning that has come out really well, very impressive 👍.  Your basket has come out great, good work, going to be another stunning model...

Ed

Thanks Ed, I appreciate that.

• Like 1