Zvezda 1/35 Ausf. D 521 - Kursk

Six97s

My first AFV build here, so I'll probably be asking lots of silly questions.  Since this kit represents an early production Ausf. D at Kursk, I'll go with that, although I might change the number after more research, because I have a hard time building anything OOB.  As @Jasper dog said in his thread, no Zimmerit to worry about either.  🙃

I've read that this kit has an undersize turret.  Anyone care to comment on that?  I don't mind putting in the work to correct it if it's terrible, but if it looks OK in isolation I'm tempted to leave it...

Any thoughts on upgrades?  Fruil tracks are out, but I'm open to spending a few pounds on photoetch or decals.

Edited by Six97s
  • Like 7

13 hours ago, Six97s said:

Any thoughts on upgrades?  Fruil tracks are out, but I'm open to spending a few pounds on photoetch or decals.

Don't just splash the cash.
If there is something you don't like, or think could be done better, and PE or resin holds the answer ... that is the time to spend the money -
- just keep an eye on your budget, and stick to it (advice I should listen to).

• Like 2

On 07/11/2020 at 09:29, Robert Stuart said:

Don't just splash the cash.
If there is something you don't like, or think could be done better, and PE or resin holds the answer ... that is the time to spend the money -
- just keep an eye on your budget, and stick to it (advice I should listen to).

Thanks. No, I'm not going to throw money at it, especially as a relative newbie.   I think it will benefit from some PE grills, but other than that, it'll be OOB.

Looking forward to getting started tomorrow...  I'm going to take some time off work   😬

Edited by Six97s
  • Like 3

• Six97s changed the title to Zvezda 1/35 Ausf. D 521 - Kursk

Let's kick off then.  I've decided to build it as 521, using the decals in the kit.  Obligatory box photo.

521_01-vi.jpg

Box full of track links, with some tank parts thrown in.

521_02-vi.jpg

Following the instructions, the turret is assembled first.   I had to relieve the clear part a little to allow the two halves of the cupola to meet.   The back panel is riddled with ejector pin marks, but I don't think they'll be visible, even with the hatch open.

521_03-vi.jpg

Detail on the inside, which will never be seen (and more ejector pin marks)... 

521_04-vi.jpg

A review mentioned the lifting rings being a bit wimpy.   I don't have spares, so I shall try to build them up with Mr Surfacer.

521_05-vi.jpg

That's as far as I've got today.

Edited by Six97s
  • Like 8

Yesterday's progress.  I globbed some Mr Surfacer 500 on the lifting rings and let it puddle slightly to create a weld bead.  That was the idea, anyway.  It spread a bit too much, so needs some cleanup.

521_06-vi.jpg

Breech assembled.  I'm still planning to leave the hatch open, so at least some of this will be visible.

521_08-vi.jpg

Also made a start on the hull.  The parts fit has been pretty good; the only issues I've found were a gap underneath the gun mount and dry fitting the upper hull shows there'll be a small gap tof fill at the rear.   I read that Zvezda added bolt heads around the transmission access hatch that shouldn't be there, so those were filed down and the recesses filled.   Wouldn't normally use green stuff, but it's all I have to hand at the moment... there won't be much left when it's sanded back, so I think I'll get away with it.

521_09-vi.jpg

521_10-vi.jpg

Finally, the one piece of AM bling.

521_11-vi.jpg

Edited by Six97s
  • Like 8

Three steps forward, two steps back since the last update.

Started adding all the tiny doo-dads to the hull, whereupon I immediately lost three parts to the carpet monster, despite having a wood floor.  Replaced the the hatch handle with copper wire and other parts with sheet plastic.   I also broke off both of the headlamps, even though one was already drilled and pinned.  I did managed to save those, so they'll be refitted when I'm ready to prime it.

521_12-vi.jpg

Then I had an absolute 'mare with the photoetch grilles, which should have been easy as pie, but didn't fit properly or cooperate in any way,  Two went on the floor and my cyano has gone gloopy - thorw in a phone call while I was in the middle of all this - I was not a happy camper.  It is what it is... I'll do better next time. 🙄

521_13-vi.jpg

• Like 6

I still have parts to add, but I gave it a light coat of primer to see where it needs attention.   The grilles don't look as terrible as I imagined, but still a little annoying that they're too small, when they're supposedly designed to fit the Zvezda kit.  🙄

521_14-vi.jpg

Edited by Six97s
  • Like 7

On 11/18/2020 at 4:52 PM, Six97s said:

I still have parts to add, but I gave it a light coat of primer to see where it needs attention.   The grilles don't look as terrible as I imagined, but still a little annoying that they're too small, when they're supposedly designed to fit the Zvezda kit.  🙄

Was the fitting of the grilles a standard thing on these? I don't really want to spend any more on this or can be bothered to track some down, would it look odd if mine didn't have them? I've managed to 'disguise' the outer bolts around the large hatch cover for the transmission, I think.

Looking good so far.

:goodjob:

Davey.

I believe the grilles were standard fitment.   AFAIK, most recently tooled 1/35 Panther kits come with PE grilles, except this one (it's cheap) and the Tamiya one (where they sell them as an accessory).

• 1 month later...

Still working on this...  I'm tackling the tracks, which is a first for me.  The second side went easier, once I got into it.   It stands a chance of being ready for paint by the deadline, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get any paint on it.  I have to spray in the garage and it's just too cold at the moment.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I needed it, but still haven't finished...   The tracks fought me, but more than that, lack of free time.   I will keep on and move this to the AFV section.   Still looking forward to starting the Pz III.  :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Six97s said:

I needed it, but still haven't finished...   The tracks fought me, but more than that, lack of free time.   I will keep on and move this to the AFV section.   Still looking forward to starting the Pz III.  :)

Dont know if you know this ? If you do my apologies, but If you go to the very first post here and flag it. Leave a request to have @Enzo Matrix or another Mod move it to Armor. 

• Like 1