Need Help - Hawker Typhoon ID Stripes, YELLOW?

Tokyo Raider

Greetings Brits-

I am certain you knew all about the ID stripes on Hawker Typhoons and that this is an eye roller for you guys, but I am over here in the States and trying to figure out what I need to do with these stripes on a Typhoon Car Door build.  I have a Hasegawa 1/48 Typhoon kit that shows the usual UNDERWING ONLY ID stripes that are not invasion stripes, but the Typhoon with the 4 thinner Black stripes and the wider 3 white stripes.  I was used to seeing these on Typhoons and these were used before the invasion stripes.  The kit shows these too and just the Front of Wing YELLOW Leading Edge Stripes going between the guns and going out to the wing tip.  I am used to seeing these.

Now My Question:  I got some Techmod decals for car door typhoons and they ALSO have a yellow stripe running streamwise from the inboard wing guns to the trailing edge of the wing, and about as wide as the narrow under wing black stripes.  What is the deal with these stripes???  Techmod shows them on every version on the decal sheet.  Did the RAF start putting these on at some point?  I am not familliar with the history of these and should I put them on or leave them off like the hasegawa kit doesn't show these...

I see photos with and without these yellow stripes, even with the yellow leading edge ID markings.

Hope you can clear this up for me...  Thanks!

ok thanks...  It says by mid 1943 the Yellow upper wing bands were basically gone and so they must have been an early marking before the standard narrow black bands under wing.  I will leave them off...

thanks!

The yellow upper wing stripe was also there to help ID the Typhoon against the FW190. White noses were also another way of helping ID the Tiffie.   I expect the above link explains it better.

It was a hard read for me.  It seemed like I got one page that was talking about the upper stripes being gone, but I did not find the beginning where it explained why they were there.  Just said the standard underwing stripes made the yellow uppers obsolete...

thanks for the help!

Edited by Tokyo Raider

Thiu maybe of interest to those browsing, 

4394918998_803fc99371_b.jpgHawker Typhoon. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

also visible here, and the above photo may well be from the same photo shoot, given the rarity of colour film

"Hawker Typhoon IB of 56 Squadron, RAF Matlask 21 April 1943"

45345465095_892e71ced6_b.jpgHawker Typhoon IB, 1943. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

@Chris Thomas  would be the chap to give an in depth answer. 

More Typhoon colour here

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787@N07&q=typhoon

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Tokyo Raider said:

It was a hard read for me.  It seemed like I got one page that was talking about the upper stripes being gone, but I did not find the beginning where it explained why they were there.  Just said the standard underwing stripes made the yellow uppers obsolete...

thanks for the help!

The Typhoon/Tempest booklet you have been reading contains a lot of useful information but it is badly organised, with some unfortunate typos and some relevant facts are missing.  So no wonder you found it difficult to read.  

29 September 1942  The yellow stripe was applied in response to several 'blue on blue' incidents; above and below the wing.  

2 November 1942   White noses and black stripes under the wings were added - yellow stripes remained over the wings.

late November early December 1942  White noses removed and white stripes added between the black ones  

3 February 1943  Yellow stripes over wings removed in 11 Group (after Fw190s spotted with same marking).

c. July 1943  Yellow wing stripes removed in 10 and 12 Groups

All the above compiled from official records.

Edited by Chris Thomas
Typo
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2