Masking over Decals

LaurieS

A real pain! I have three techniques depending on what I need to do and how close to the decal I need to mask

1 - use Parafilm M. I suspect this could lift a really delicate decal which hadn't stuck well, but I've not had that issue

2 - make a mask over the decal with tin foil and then tape over that

3 - use Mr making Sol R which is soluble in water ... don't peal it off a decal, soak it off. Of course the decal will need to be sealed to prevent it becoming water damaged

Cheers

Colin

8 minutes ago, ckw said:

A real pain! I have three techniques depending on what I need to do and how close to the decal I need to mask

1 - use Parafilm M. I suspect this could lift a really delicate decal which hadn't stuck well, but I've not had that issue

2 - make a mask over the decal with tin foil and then tape over that

3 - use Mr making Sol R which is soluble in water ... don't peal it off a decal, soak it off. Of course the decal will need to be sealed to prevent it becoming water damaged

Cheers

Colin

Thanks Colin. Have to mask right up to the edge of the decal. The decals are reasonably robust & I have belted them down with Deco Decal Setting Strong.

Just wondering if a couple of coats of Aqua Varnish would help.

Laurie

4 minutes ago, Pin said:

+1 for ParaFilm

Oh my god Alexey I had piles of the stuff a few weeks back. Never used had a sort out & what happened. Yes you have guessed correctly.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS

7 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

Just wondering if a couple of coats of Aqua Varnish would help.

I don't think the varnish would protect them from lifting - I've had decals lift after coating with both Future and varnish - but might help prevent water damage with the  Sol R route.

Ironically just last week I had a misplaced decal I needed to remove and masking tape just would not budge it - had to use gaffer tape

Cheers

Colin

14 minutes ago, ckw said:

I don't think the varnish would protect them from lifting - I've had decals lift after coating with both Future and varnish - but might help prevent water damage with the  Sol R route.

Ironically just last week I had a misplaced decal I needed to remove and masking tape just would not budge it - had to use gaffer tape

Cheers

Colin

Thanks again Colin much appreciated. Sure you are right.

On a Dakota passenger. Decal stripes come around to meet on the nose petering out to nothing where they meet..

Black above stripes silver below. Almost impossible (was impossible)  to gauge the demarcation line as where the stripes meet from port starboard .  This leaves a block of silver on the black side. Tut.

Experimented. The black is gloss. Used Tamiya X1 & this married up perfectly. Cannot see the join, fortunate. Just need a nerveless pair of hands to extend paint down to the demarcation line of the decal.

It is fortunate that scale model making is so stress free :yahoo:.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS