Britain's First Line of Defence: the Sopwith Baby. ++Finished++

CliffB

Cliff,

I am sure you wear a mask when you build your kits as protection from inadvertently inhaling them. Excellent tiny subject.

Ray

• Haha 2

I’m just trying to figure out what gauge rigging line you’d need. I finally found my perfect 1/48 th scale rigging line ; 0.4mm monofilament. So by extension you’d need .1mm line, hmm not entirely unfeasabile.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Col. said:

Rigging in 200th scale? :blink2: If anyone can do it you can Cliff.

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

I’m just trying to figure out what gauge rigging line you’d need. I finally found my perfect 1/48 th scale rigging line ; 0.4mm monofilament. So by extension you’d need .1mm line, hmm not entirely unfeasabile.

Thanks guys.

Marklo, I rig using stretched sprue so I've no idea what gauge I end up with - it's probably different every time!

I've only rigged one 1/200 scale biplane before - this Walrus (apologies if you've seen it before).

P1110086.jpg

I used yellow sprue in that case, but normally I use silver.  This gives a finer appearance than say black.

Stretched sprue works well on these smaller scales as there's no holes to drill/fill and no pre-tensioning required.  Just glue a slightly oversized piece in place and when it's fully dry, pop it taut using heat (I use the smoke from the tip of a smouldering cocktail stick, which I find gives good control).

That's the theory anyway!

Cheers

• Like 4

Ooops.  In my enthusiasm to get finished, I completely forgot about the rocket armament that I was going to add.

So I've now assembled a set using plastic rod. 

P1110887.JPG

The real things were just like oversized fireworks, with the addition of metal blades at their tips to cut through the fabric covering of their target.

They were fired electrically and I believe that once the switch had been thrown, all the rockets were fired sequentially.  The rockets proved successful at attacking observation balloons, but less so with Zeppelins.  They were superceded by more effective incendiary bullets.

I'm giving my Baby eight rockets, in line with the FAA Museum exhibit.  I've seen a period photo though, showing 10 rockets fitted.  Eight suits me fine though, as my rockets are slightly over-scale ;).

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Col. said:

What an update Cliff! Your Walrus is stunning and those tiny rockets are mini works of art :wub:

Thanks Col and thanks for hosting yet another great Group Build :thumbsup2:

The Baby's finished now..

P1110893.JPG

I can see from the photo that I've got a bit of droop on one rocket, but that should be easy to fix.

Thanks to everyone else who has supported this build :cheers:

Cheers

• Like 8

• CliffB changed the title to Britain's First Line of Defence: the Sopwith Baby. ++Finished++
24 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Just seen this in the gallery and had to drop by to say it's marvelous!! Well done, Cliff. :clap:

22 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

That's a super job Cliff, rigging and scratched rockets too. Very nicely done sir. :thumbsup:

Thanks chaps, that's much appreciated :)

• Like 2

Brilliant again Cliff,

Imagine being able to keep your whole built kit collection in Humbrol tinlets. You're well on your way.

Ray

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Imagine being able to keep your whole built kit collection in Humbrol tinlets. You're well on your way.

Thanks Ray - that would certainly save on the dusting!

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 8:07 AM, Mottlemaster said:

So much in such a small space. Proves the saying that Big isn't always better. 

Looking forward to seeing your next masterpiece.

Thank you MM :).  I've got three more of this series in my stash (going up in size to a Felixstowe), so hopefully another one will make appearance before too long.....

Cheers

• Like 2