T-72B - MK

Started this project a while ago... now, with the second lock down, it is perhaps the time to finally complete it. 

The kit is one of the first ModelCollect kits and comes with the metal body tub, which is a huge pain in the .... but on the other hand, does add some weight to the model when one holds it. 

The kit's turret is actually rather good, but I had a Tankograd one which I decided to use for this project, the plastic MK one will be married with Revell's kit body for some other project, most likely something with ERA

The barrel is from MK. The Tankograd equips its turrets with a metal barrel without a thermal jacket, but as I plan to build a T-72 circa August 1991 in Moscow, I needed one with the jacket.

MG ammo boxes, smoke grenades, IR light and search light are from SG-modelling range, the pipe case is from the kit with replaced holders and antenna input by Zedval. Plus a few other smaller things scratch built.

Based on these photos, I have slightly adjusted the smoke grenades position in the second row.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 8

The first coat of paint, glossed over and decals. The Guards emblem is from the kit sheet. It was misprinted, so a touch up was required. The weird thing is that the emblem is "mirrored" , and at first I thought it would be strange, but examining period photos, it turned out that in 1991 the emblems were indeed the mirror image, but the "Guards" inscription. Luckily this is dutifully reflected, so card required to make sure you put the emblems on the correct side of the turret.

The numbers are taken from a generic decals sheet.

spacer.png

kObjA9W.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

After the short break fruitfully used on waiting and watching the paint dry and other necessary procrastination, the next series of steps towards the completion of this model.

The result so far is this:

spacer.png

A couple of washes done. Very moderate chipping and oil dot filters here and there.

spacer.png

aYpqKrk.jpg

spacer.png

As one can see some more detail added to the engine deck. The mesh over the main air intakes. After some consideration I also detailed the secondary intakes with the ribs and new mesh.

spacer.pngThe next step will be some very moderate weathering. The photos show that the tanks in Moscow in 1991 were rather clean. Perhaps just a bit of road dust... 

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...