Beginner: does my intended Xmas prezzy sound OK?

Panda Commander

I'm planning to get back into modelling after a decades-long absence from the hobby. I have a basic supply of tools, and a lot of reference material, from my "good old days". I do not, however, have an airbrush or compressor, nor any experience with either.

My lovely wife has offered to outfit me for Christmas, and I've done some research. I have a setup in mind, and I'd like the advice of more experienced airbrushers (i.e. everybody!) as to whether my planned purchases are a good idea.

Money is always an object, but let's say that I'm not "on my uppers", and I'd always rather buy nice than buy twice.

My intention is to start, and possibly keep on with, small-scale armour in 1/72 and 1/48th scales. My main interests are WW1 British and German, late WW2 German and modern NATO and Russian tanks.

I have precisely zero decent model shops near me here in "East Angular".

I have seen the superb results that Plasmo achieves using his Harder & Steenbeck Infinity, so my thought is to go for the H&S Infinity CR PLus 2 in 1 with 0.15mm and 0.4mm nozzles at £223 from Amazon.

As to compressors, I am truly clueless. I have seen reference to a popular one as being the Fengda AS-189 Airbrush Mini Compressor with 3L Air Tank at £94 from Amazon.

What does the team think?

Is that combo ready to go out of the box, or do I need/would you recommend any accessories? Cables? Hoses? Cleaning kit? Spray booth?

Help, please!

Panda commander

Edited by Panda Commander

Must be a good choice 'cause that's basically the set up I use. :)

Actually I started with a H&S Ultra, but the Infinity is  a better airbrush.

A lot else depends where you're brushing. I have my compressor under a desk, so got a long braided hose so I could route it behind the desk an through a hoop above my spay both. I would say a spray both is a must (I use 2 like this 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/slredirect/picassoRedirect.html/ref=pa_sp_atf_aps_sr_pg1_1?ie=UTF8&adId=A04843303K7DGW6VLMOH3&url=%2FReaseJoy-Portable-Airbrush-Filter-Turntable%2Fdp%2FB07GZKNT39%2Fref%3Dsr_1_1_sspa%3Fdchild%3D1%26keywords%3Dspray%2Bbooth%2Bairbrush%26qid%3D1604668005%26sr%3D8-1-spons%26psc%3D1&qualifier=1604668005&id=2023526435293013&widgetName=sp_atf

but that's due to long wingspans - for tanks I think one would be adequate.

For me the big 'airbrush breakthrough' was being able to have a permanent set up. Previously I had to faff around setting everything up and then put it away again - it meant I tended to pile jobs up for big sessions, and then kept putting it of cause I didn't have time to do it all. Now with everything sitting ready to use, I'll happily use the airbrush for the tiniest of jobs and, as everyone will tell you, the secret to success is practice, practice, practice

Finally, if,  you are new to airbrushing give it time! It takes a while to get the hang of things (and probably a lifetime to master). It is not, as some believe, a short cut to quality finishes, and at first you will probably think you were better off brush painting, You will also end up knowing more about the composition of paints and thinning media than you ever wanted to. Be prepared to get it very wrong - and ask for help here when it does.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bmwh548 said:

The 0.15 nozzle is going to be incredibly tricky unless you use lacquer paints that are very thinned and have a very fine pigment. I have the 0.2 and the 0.4 and I use the 0.4 like 90% of the time.

The 0.2mm would be about right for detail painting.  I've got 0.4mm nozzles, but I never use them.  I used them once to paint a massive model car (18" long), and it was almost a bit much for that.

Might I also recommend a chat with Martin @ Air-craft.net?  @Jetblast on here.  He sells the Gunze airbrushes, and we've done a few reviews on here of their products.  I now use the P270 as my usual airbrush and the PS 770 for finer work, and they're great.  I found my Infinities went a little "baggy" eventually, and they have a lot of seals to replace compared to the Gunze brushes.  Sorry to put more spanners amongst your pigeons :D

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bmwh548 said:

The 0.15 nozzle is going to be incredibly tricky unless you use lacquer paints that are very thinned and have a very fine pigment.

I had heard that but I use Xtracolor and Colourcoats enamel - well thinned - with no problems. I've also used Tamiya and Mr Hobby well thinned with Mr Color Leveling thinner. Now whether its because I'm being more careful and methodical with the .15 nozzle or not but I have had far fewer problems with clogs, splattering etc. with my 15 Infinity than I did with the .2 Ultra

Cheers

Colin

I've got the H&S Infinity CR Plus 2 in 1 as well as an H&S Evolution.  I keep the 0.15mm needle/nozzle in the Infinity for small detail work, and either a 0.2mm or 0.4mm needle/nozzle in the Evolution.  You can have my H&S airbrushes when you pry them out of my cold, dead hands.  For my compressor, I've got the Iwata Smart Jet Plus Tubular compressor that sits neatly under my workbench.  Very pleased with both my airbrushes as well as my compressor.  :thumbsup:

Quiet compressors are very useful for working in the house, or late at night, and I wouldn't have anything else in my workshop.  The quietness is just nice, and you don't get a headache from a noisy compressor hammering away, drowning out your music, waking up your family, and generally doing your mental wellbeing no good.  I've got a SilAir 40 (IIRC), and it is super-quiet.... right until I turn on my spray booth extractor, and no, the irony isn't lost on me. :lol:

• Like 1

Thanks to one and all for the very helpful information; I can see that this forum is going to be an excellent resource.

Based on my research, and you gents' help, I think I am going to go with the Infinity, the Fengda compressor and the following extras:

a) A Reasejoy filter booth (thanks Colin!), and;

b) An ABEST cleaning pot & tools.

@ckw, where did you source your extended airbrush-to-compressor hose, please?

Panda commander

11 minutes ago, Panda Commander said:

@ckw, where did you source your extended airbrush-to-compressor hose, please?

To be honest, can't remember - probably amazon - just search for airbrush hoses. Mine is a braided nylon 3m. 

Cheers

Colin

• Thanks 1

One - hopefully - final question before I get out of everybody's hair:  It's unclear to me how to connect the H&S airbrush to the hose.  H&S mention a "2.7mm quick release connector" on the Infinity; all third-party hoses seem to come with 1/8" connectors at both ends.

Do I need a "1/8" to quick release" adaptor, or could I use this Fengda 3m hose out of the box?

Sorry for the lengthy interrogation, but I want to end up with a setup that I can be using on Boxing Day, not having to wait 2 weeks for a part to arrive from Shanghai!

Panda commander

The hose you posted on Amazon has the quick connect end already attached. After looking at the airbrush you chose, it appears it will simply screw straight onto your airbrush and clip into the quick connect fitting. Not sure what the size at the compressor end on your compressor is, but sometimes you need an adapter at the compressor end as well to make the hose fit to the compressor.

• Like 1

You don't need the quick connector - this is handy if switching between multiple airbrushes, but not necessary, The Infinity has a standard 1/8 screw connector as well, as does your compressor.

Cheers

Colin

• Thanks 1

Take a look at Everything Airbrush if you are after a start up set. Almost 2 years ago admittedly, but Santa put together compressor, H&S ultra 2 in 1, long hose, connector for about £180.

About 10 months in, the compressor developed a really loud squeak, contacted them, and after sending a video to show them, I had a new unit with 2 days. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Broadway said:

I'm thinking alaong the same lines, but no one has mentioned masks... Any advice on what's needed?

Although it's another expense, from personal experience it is an area where you should spend a bit of cash getting a good quality one. The benchvents are great but a good facemask gives you that extra security especially if you want to use Zero and lacquer paints, which personally I find are the best paints but more potent than general acrylics.

https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Respirators-Filters.html

3 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Although it's another expense, from personal experience it is an area where you should spend a bit of cash getting a good quality one. The benchvents are great but a good facemask gives you that extra security especially if you want to use Zero and lacquer paints, which personally I find are the best paints but more potent than general acrylics.

https://www.air-craft.net/acatalog/Respirators-Filters.html

It's a bit of a minefield trying to workout the differnent body types, sizes and filters means making an informed decision difficult.

I previousely had a look nd totally confused. I'll have to read the data sheets and try and understand the diffeences.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2020 at 1:42 PM, ckw said:

You don't need the quick connector - this is handy if switching between multiple airbrushes, but not necessary, The Infinity has a standard 1/8 screw connector as well, as does your compressor.

Cheers

Colin

Even if you just have one airbrush, a quick release is good for cleaning or swapping over needle/nozzle sets - lot easier to do those tasks without a hose connected.

Cheers,

Nigel

Never got round to using my Infinity before I switched to an Iwata Micron but my Evo with a 2.0 was great to use. But the biggest lesson I learned over the years was to invest in a good compressor. I can't say mine (Sparmax  620) is as quiet as Mike's but with a built in air-tank it's as smooth as anything and coupled with a quick connector makes airbrushing a relative piece of cake. 

And the service from Air-Craft.net is outstanding!

If you think this is something you will keep doing, do invest in a good compressor, preferably with a tank (that can be pumped up and your compressor won’t have to run continously while you work). Speaking as someone who bought a cheap Chinese copy: it worked fine for a couple of years, but I have now twice had to open it up and do repair/cleaning, and it will likely not last much longer. You will save both time and money in the long run by buying something good now.