It's been a long-standing tradition in Britmodeller GBs that there is a poll at the end of a GB, where the BM massive can vote for the model they like best. Perhaps it's me, maybe I'm not looking at the right time, but

recently the polls seem to have not been happening when a GB finishes. Is it an oversight? I've always enjoyed the polls, they let me express my appreciation for a good model (never ever got many votes for my models!).

If setting up a poll takes a lot of work, or is difficult (I honestly don't know), then that's fair enough, I wouldn't want to take that on. Who is responsible for polls? is it the GB hosts? Is it our already hard-working GB admin/mod

EnzoMatrix?

Maybe whoever it is, needs prompting at the end of a GB to set up the poll? 

***Please note that I'm not trying to apportion blame, just trying to get the polls going again***

• Like 6

The Forum software is limited to 72 entries in a poll. Some of the recent builds such as the Battle of Britain have more gallery entries than that. So its been decided in cases as that in fairness to forgo the poll. In other cases some hosts choose not to do them either because they're to busy hosting another build. That or they've opted to not do one. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

In the case of too many entries then, I wonder if it’s not possible to split the poll down into manageable chunks. You could then have a series of play-offs, although it would mean much more work for the admins.

• Like 3

yeah unfortunately there is a limit with the polling software so for the big GB's we can't do it.

The Host (sometimes Co-Host) is normally responsible for setting up the poll, not too hard to do on smaller GB's but the bigs ones, he's already got a bit to do, so it's easy to forget, especially if they're busy with other GB's.

In all the GB's I've hosted I've only not run one poll, and that was for the Nordic GB, due to the fact we totally trashed the poll software, with over a 100 builds in the gallery. Even if we broke them up we'd still have had over 75 aircraft builds. Plus I really doubt we could have come up with a winner, the quality of the builds was just unbelievable.

We could look at having a 2nd gallery, not sure if the forum software will handle this, then how do you decide where your builds go then how do you choose an overall winner? Say if the first gallery has 24 entries and the second only say 5, how do you then determine the top models? Just totalling up the votes? I can see some issues with multiple gallery's.

While I do agree it's great to have a poll to select the best build/s, but personally I just love to see them all on display together, without having to worry about how good someones work is......for me it's a case of quantity of quality , that's a good sign of a fun and great GB.

• Like 4

Maybe ask each GB entrant to declare whether they want to be included in the poll or not?

I'm guessing that many (myself included), would not necessarily want to compete, resulting in a much smaller poll for those who do.

Well, you won't (usually) be in the poll unless you are in the gallery, so a comment in that post might be enough to be excluded

Having setting up a few polls, I found it easier and less worrying to set up after the gallery closes (remember, the software is unfamiliar).
Time constraints mean ...
    ... the comments are read to find the build's title.
    Copy/paste the title, edit down to fit the character limit in the candidate field while still making sense.
    On to the next build.

Check.
Hope you haven't missed somebody (been there :()

Add to which ... Somebody wanted to be excluded?  So ... go back and delete that entry, and (possibly) re-edit all the subsequent entries?

• Like 1

Setting up a GB poll is one more task within a GB that requires considerable time and effort. While moderating the GBs is a rewarding and usually fun enterprise none of us are getting paid for it so please bear that in mind. Sure I speak for all the GB moderators here when I say we'd complete a lot more of our own models if we didn't dedicate the time required to make these events happen for everyone to enjoy.

• Like 6

Well, that's explained things satisfactorily, the reasons for not having polls all seem quite reasonable.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to the discussion.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I miss polls being set up too. After all the work i wish to show my appreciation to those builds i like and similarly enjoy it when people like mine.
Its not just big ones exceeding software limits but smaller ones not being made.

Enzo spoke about organizing the faq section soon with the new tidy up in operation, as this is how the polll instructions look right now with missing images -

That may encourage poll construction if the instructions are easy -  or even idiot-proof for me 😁

Edited by Dansk