Hasegawa newsletters 2021 - 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11 & 12

Homebee

On 9/7/2021 at 9:24 PM, Supersonic26 said:

that means I should be able to get my hands on one without selling a kidney!

Kidneys from a reputable source sell for quite a bit more than 60€.. 

• Haha 2

On 8/15/2021 at 8:29 AM, J.C. Bahr said:

Resting on their laurels way-too-much! 🙄

I can't remember the last time I bought an actual new kit from them in 1/72.  They really need to re-tool their G4M1 and come out with a Ki-21.

I think a new-tool of either of the above (or any other non-Japanese aircraft) would warrant a 'News Flash' interruption to BBC\ITV or anyone else's programmes.

However, specifically:

- G4M1: the most likely new subject but did the new Emily sell?  If not, no 'Betty'.

- Ki-21 Sally.  Very unlikely to come from Hasegawa, even less so from any other Japanese source, and surely not at all from elsewhere.  I'm advised that the war is (understandably) not much talked of in modern Japan, and the 'track' record of Sally isn't that good.  Largely used for bombing (near) undefended cities, it suffered heavily against credible opposition eg AVG over Rangoon.  At least its IJN equivalent, Nell, could claim success against 'Prince of Wales' and 'Repulse'.

Meanwhile Hasegawa are 'sitting pretty' with what must be fully depreciated moulds.  Many such as F-11F 'Tiger' or Ki48 'Lily' are unlikely ever to be tooled by others and even their Skyraider remains unchallenged.   Indeed looking at their Newsletters it's hard to see what is truely new.  Could anyone advise? 

5 hours ago, Denford said:

- Ki-21 Sally.  Very unlikely to come from Hasegawa, even less so from any other Japanese source, and surely not at all from elsewhere.  I'm advised that the war is (understandably) not much talked of in modern Japan, and the 'track' record of Sally isn't that good.  Largely used for bombing (near) undefended cities, it suffered heavily against credible opposition eg AVG over Rangoon.  At least its IJN equivalent, Nell, could claim success against 'Prince of Wales' and 'Repulse'.

Even less significant aircraft have been tooled and seem to be successful for other Japanese manufacturers, e.g. FM's  Q1W1. I think I read somewhere (or did I dream it?) that there was a mould of a Ki-21 from Hasegawa in the early 2000s that apparently went nowhere. 

I have (and now of considerable value) a Ki -21 kit issued under the Revell (GB?) label.  Bought some time in mid 70's.

Various posts have questioned if it is really 1/72 as there were quite a few Japanese issues in 1/75 at that time.  Also from whom the mould originated and where it is now.  At one time it was rumoured that a ship transporting it sank.

But it's not Hasegawa for sure or it would have been re-issued from time to time as have Nell, Peggy and quite a few others.

This is almost certainly the Takara mould.  They also did (for Revell) the Ki.49 Helen, K.45 Toryu, Irving night fighter, and Frances bomber with both engine variants.  I believe they later did a Skyraider but I never saw that.  These were all genuine 1/72 kits.

The released Peggy, Nell and Dinahs were LS.  The Peggys were 1/75  and the Nells thought to be that but when I much later got one the span and length came out to 1/72:  the Dinahs were a little later and lovely kits - they have been resold as Arii.  Hasegawa did do the Nell, Frances and Peggy but considerably later.  I  never did compare the size of the LS and Hasegawa Nells - the Nell fuselage does seem remarkable small for the crew numbers.

Yet another sunken ship carrying model tools....  That was the Frog Scimitar - or was it Lincoln?  Or was it Aurora - no, that was a train crash.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 2:01 AM, Fukuryu said:

Even less significant aircraft have been tooled and seem to be successful for other Japanese manufacturers, e.g. FM's  Q1W1. I think I read somewhere (or did I dream it?) that there was a mould of a Ki-21 from Hasegawa in the early 2000s that apparently went nowhere. 

Yes.   I can't see why Hasegawa wouldn't ever do a new Sally seeing as more obscure Japanese aircraft have been tooled.   It's time Hasegawa did a new Sally.

• Like 2

Nostalgia ... the re-release of the Ki.84 Hayate ( Frank ) in 1/48. 🏆🥇

still the finest 1/48 aircraft model of that aircraft .. and yet

when was it released ? Late 1990’s ?

Yet in the 1990’s they produced a lot of new-tool 1/48 kits that are still cutting edge even today ( A6M Zero , Ki.43 , N1K2 George , J2M Jack ,P-51 Mustang ,Hawker Hurricane , Ki 61 Tony and others like C.205 Veltro 

I have all those on the display shelf , and they are still world class 

but since 2009:

nothing new from 1/48 for WW2 for over 10 years , and that was a Naval Biplane 

Hasegawa clearly is focused on the domestic market but how long can those old moulds last them for future sales ( talk about amortising moulds )

Edited by 73north
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, 73north said:

Hasegawa clearly is focused on the domestic market but how long can those old moulds last them for future sales ( talk about amortising moulds )

They'll last for as long as those crazy westerners want to buy them :D

• Haha 1

The Sally by Hasegawa would be great, I have that one by Revell done with greenhouse canopy on top, sometimes  the transport variant tempting me to be done one day...

• Like 1

Hasegawa are the ultimate model company for "old wine in new bottles" with some new decals thrown into the box to call it a 'new release'. They were once brilliant and lots of their stuff (especially their 1/32 single seat Japanese WW2 fighters) still stands the test of time. That said, I can't recall the last time I got excited about a Hasagawa release and the UK retail prices are just ludicrous for what is in the box and especially so where other manufacturers compete; e.g. a 1/48 (40 years old tooling) F4 Phantom for just 10 quid less than the Z-M ones and I see the Big H has an equally old 1/48 Bf 109F listed for 50 quid when the far superior Eduard 'Profi' 109 kits can be had for half that price with careful shopping .......come on!

Still, someone must still buy them at full UK RRP or they wouldn't still be around or imported would they.

Gary 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Web99 said:

Looks like Hasegawa is going the way of Aoshima and focusing on new tool car kits, I’m not complaining because the quality of their R32 is brilliant

I agree and it looks like they have just about given up on aircraft kits. If they are keeping the car modellers happy with their new productions then perhaps that is where they should focus their R&D because they are becoming increasingly irrelevant as a model company to the aircraft modellers.

Gary

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, redcap said:

they are becoming increasingly irrelevant as a model company to the aircraft modellers.

Their aircraft models are still good quality, and often the only real game in town.

Wonder why no 48th F-35 for now for their very own home market....

Hasegawa produced in the last few years a ‘ new ‘ limited edition release as the late War version of the Ki.43 III - trouble was that they cut costs and instead of a new tool injection plastic cowling and Exhausts pipes -( all that it needed ) they used an awful resin manufacturer that made the Cowling and with the pipes that needed a lot of cleaning up and trimming to fit .

when you compare the 1/48 Fine Molds Ki.43 III - it’s basic inside the cockpit walls 

but is more accurate , fits well and looks the part ( and is far cheaper ).

i have it , and it’s great .

Check out the eye watering prices on eBay for the limited edition kit by Hasegawa ( 2 different box art versions ) for the Ki.43 III .

simply put Hasegawa seems to not want to spend money on new aircraft kits .

• Like 1

Remember, an old(er) kit with new decals is still by definition "new" in the sense that those perticular decals haven't been released before from that manufacturer, even if the molds may be old(er). 

As for the F-35, it will come for sure - I have no doubt.