Hellenic Air Force F-4 Phantoms at low-level

Alpha Delta 210

Hi all

Following on from our amazing Centre of Aviation Photography visit to Andravida in November 2019, we paid a visit with some local enthusiasts to the Santomeri Mount Skollis Region Low Flying Area and were rewarded with this!

This was my first experience of this type of photography, so I played it safe with shutter speeds, but I was happy with the images from an incredibly exciting experience!

DSC_3467.jpg

DSC_3483.jpg

DSC_3499.jpg

DSC_3520.jpg

DSC_3535.jpg

DSC_3541.jpg

DSC_3550.jpg

DSC_3557.jpg

DSC_3589.jpg

DSC_3600.jpg

DSC_3605.jpg

DSC_3606.jpg

DSC_3614.jpg

DSC_3622.jpg

DSC_3629.jpg

DSC_3645.jpg

DSC_3673.jpg

DSC_3682.jpg

DSC_3717.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Sunning pictures Leigh of some of the last of the Rhino breed. As Red Dot indicates above, a few of of your photos look like they could have been in the Mach Loop rather than the near Med! 

Thanks for sharing what must have been an unforgettable experience.

Mark

• Thanks 1

Amazing pictures mate! Can I ask what camera set up you used? I'm just starting off with DSLRs for aviation photography and hoping to visit the Mach Loop in the new year. Maybe those F-4s will pop over :lol:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harry Callahan said:

totally amazing, your photos are sensational

Thanks very much, I'm really pleased you like them! 

52 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

Amazing pictures mate! Can I ask what camera set up you used? I'm just starting off with DSLRs for aviation photography and hoping to visit the Mach Loop in the new year. Maybe those F-4s will pop over :lol:

Thanks Dave. It was an exhilarating experience! I have never done the Mach Loop, but might be tempted when things return to normal!

I'm one of those rare beasts in the world of aviation photography who uses Nikon kit! These pictures were all taken on a D610 in shutter priority mode through a Nikkor 80-400 VR lens. https://www.nikon.co.uk/en_GB/product/nikkor-lenses/auto-focus-lenses/fx/zoom/af-s-nikkor-80-400mm-f-4-5-5-6-g-ed-vr

4 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Thanks very much, I'm really pleased you like them! 

Thanks Dave. It was an exhilarating experience! I have never done the Mach Loop, but might be tempted when things return to normal!

I'm one of those rare beasts in the world of aviation photography who uses Nikon kit! These pictures were all taken on a D610 in shutter priority mode through a Nikkor 80-400 VR lens. https://www.nikon.co.uk/en_GB/product/nikkor-lenses/auto-focus-lenses/fx/zoom/af-s-nikkor-80-400mm-f-4-5-5-6-g-ed-vr

Thanks mate!

I’ve a Nikon myself with a couple of lenses but just trying to get used to all the settings. Was at Lossiemouth a few weeks ago and managed a few decent pics but need to improve the lens for flying stuff.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Thanks mate!

I’ve a Nikon myself with a couple of lenses but just trying to get used to all the settings. Was at Lossiemouth a few weeks ago and managed a few decent pics but need to improve the lens for flying stuff.

You're welcome, Dave. After trying various Nikkor prime lenses and a Sigma super zoom, I have been really happy with my 80-400. It is always worth forking out on the best quality lens that you can afford. It  looks like there is a supply issue on that lens, but several reputable dealers are selling used examples at around half the new price. Good luck and I look forward to seeing some of your shots from the Mach Loop!

10 hours ago, Richard E said:

They are rather good sir - thanks for sharing

9 hours ago, Britman said:

And to think Phantoms used to be two a penny! Thank you for sharing.

Keith

8 hours ago, SAT69 said:

No question about it. Your photos are excellent.

7 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Fantastic pictures, I had to duck a couple of times as they opened!

What's the betting a few Helenic F4's crop up here some time in the near future?

Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen. I am so pleased that you enjoyed them! 

There are some decal sheets available Tony, as mentioned in my original post from last year. 

Those are brilliant, great references for a Hellenic Phantom build sometime but more importantly, superb action/atmosphere shots. I used to drive a 80-300 lens back in SLR days, I can imagine how useful a 80-400 would be. I bought the Model-maker 1/72 decals for a Hellenic Phantom after your earlier series.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Those are brilliant, great references for a Hellenic Phantom build sometime but more importantly, superb action/atmosphere shots. I used to drive a 80-300 lens back in SLR days, I can imagine how useful a 80-400 would be. I bought the Model-maker 1/72 decals for a Hellenic Phantom after your earlier series.

Steve.

Hi Steve. Have you used the decals yet? I bought them as well, but then sold my entire kit collection and used the funds to pay for a flight in a Hawker Hurricane! I kept the decals though.

A 70-300 lens used to be sufficient for UK airshows, until the Shoreham tragedy, which resulted in the display axis being pushed further from the crowd line. Even a reach of 400mm is borderline at some air shows these days!🙄

To give you an idea of how close the Greek Phantoms were, these images were taken at a focal length of between 80mm and 400mm, admittedly with some cropping during processing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

You're welcome, Dave. After trying various Nikkor prime lenses and a Sigma super zoom, I have been really happy with my 80-400. It is always worth forking out on the best quality lens that you can afford. It  looks like there is a supply issue on that lens, but several reputable dealers are selling used examples at around half the new price. Good luck and I look forward to seeing some of your shots from the Mach Loop!

Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen. I am so pleased that you enjoyed them! 

There are some decal sheets available Tony, as mentioned in my original post from last year. 

I'm on the lookout for one! I had planned on a 150-500mm lens but now that I've seen your pictures... :lol:

• Like 1

Nice shots!  Shows the different airframe mods very nicely as well - EWR kit, bumps & lumps on tails, and somewhere there's a periscope added!

26 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

I had planned on a 150-500mm lens but now that I've seen your pictures... :lol:

TBH: I have a Tamron G2 150/500 and combined with a crop sensor it's more like 800 @ max, but the lower range suffers.

(and it's 2 feet long & weighs a good 4-5lb)
So my 70-300 isn't going anywhere :P

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

I'm on the lookout for one! I had planned on a 150-500mm lens but now that I've seen your pictures... :lol:

The first generation Nikkor 80-400mm suffered from slow auto focus which is no good for aviation and motorsport photography, so I opted for a Sigma 150-500mm a few years ago before Nikon released their new 80-400mm. I was never particularly happy with the results and it was also very big and heavy!  I bought the second generation 80-400mm as soon as it was released and sold the Sigma on eBay. Considering it's reach, the lens is relatively compact and not too heavy. That said, you definitely know when it has been round your neck for 10 hours at RIAT!!

Your other option would be the Nikkor 200-500mm which would give you the extra reach, but at the cost of close-in flexibility. I have not handled one, but it is cheaper than the 80-400mm and has received some good reviews. 

https://www.nikon.co.uk/en_GB/product/nikkor-lenses/auto-focus-lenses/fx/af-s-nikkor-200-500mm-f-5-6e-ed-vr

3 minutes ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

The first generation Nikkor 80-400mm suffered from slow auto focus which is no good for aviation and motorsport photography, so I opted for a Sigma 150-500mm a few years ago before Nikon released their new 80-400mm. I was never particularly happy with the results and it was also very big and heavy!  I bought the second generation 80-400mm as soon as it was released and sold the Sigma on eBay. Considering it's reach, the lens is relatively compact and not to heavy. That said, you definitely know when it has been round your neck for 10 hours at RIAT!!

Your other option would be the Nikkor 200-500mm which would give you the extra reach, but at the cost of close-in flexibility. I have not handled one, but it is cheaper than the 80-400mm and has received some good reviews. 

https://www.nikon.co.uk/en_GB/product/nikkor-lenses/auto-focus-lenses/fx/af-s-nikkor-200-500mm-f-5-6e-ed-vr

Thanks for the info mate, plenty of food for thought before I splash out! Hoping to do the Mach Loop and revisit Coningsby and Lakenheath when the situation allows.

1 minute ago, alt-92 said:

Nice shots!  Shows the different airframe mods very nicely as well - EWR kit, bumps & lumps on tails, and somewhere there's a periscope added!

TBH: I have a Sigma G2 150/500 and combined with a crop sensor it's more like 800 @ max, but the lower range suffers.

(and it's 2 feet long & weighs a good 4-5lb)
So my 70-300 isn't going anywhere :P

Thanks for the kind words, alt-92. As I said to Dave, the 80-400mm is no light weight, but I find it much more usable than the Sigma.

I was delighted with the winning bid on my Sigma, though! I pretty much got back what I paid for it, because I bought it as a grey import from a reputable UK camera shop.👍

• Like 1